Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone catch Homeland Security USA this week?

Anyone catch Homeland Security USA this week?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone catch Homeland Security USA this week?

Originally Posted by Ray
The Coast Guard is part of Homeland security
And Manatees are vulnerable to extinction .. I consider
that very important
But unless they swim around with a bomb strapped to them or have extremist religious beliefs, I still don't see how they have diddly squat to do with Homeland Security. And it just seems on a 60-min show that presumably has the premise of showing how the US deals with security threats, I don't see the relevance...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
But unless they swim around with a bomb strapped to them or have extremist religious beliefs, I still don't see how they have diddly squat to do with Homeland Security. And it just seems on a 60-min show that presumably has the premise of showing how the US deals with security threats, I don't see the relevance...
The program is called Homeland Security because thats the dept name ..
so I presumed they are showing all facets of that Department..

Even down to the humor about the poor bugger at skagway alaska
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

He and his wife and his daughter are important links in the chain.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:07 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
"1. Stopped someone with a sandwich and fined him $300... take that al qaeda!"
This has nothing to do with Al Qaeda and everything to do with the agriculture of the US. Bear in mind this guy was a frequent traveller and specifically said that he didn't have anything to declare on his I-94. The $300 fine was obviously enough [compared to the maximum $50,000 it could be] as the guy was crying and won't make that mistake again. If the guy was carrying some sandwich which was later identified to be infected with some bug which would be harmful to US specific plants, would the womans / Beagles job be worthwhile then?
And you are calling the OP sensationalist ??
What kind of sandwich do you expect someone to have - a dutch elm disease on wheat - heavy on the anthrax ??
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What kind of sandwich do you expect someone to have - a dutch elm disease on wheat - heavy on the anthrax ??
Peanut butter can be pretty nasty
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
Peanut butter can be pretty nasty
I finally watched this tonight. Having read messr hobbes' primer on the episode the thing I noticed about the dude with the sandwich is that he was given so many opportunities to 'fess up about it, but he didn't, and I think he knew there was a sandwich in there. At the very least he could have thought a little harder about it! The beagle doesn't lie!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And Manatees are vulnerable to extinction ..
So are grey squirrels in your neck of the woods.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Ray, are you getting revenge on behalf of England's oppressed red squirrels?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Originally Posted by snowbunny
Ray, are you getting revenge on behalf of England's oppressed red squirrels?
The bastards have been breeding frantically over the winter it seems ..
The war continues
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:16 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I wasn't being sensationalist, I was being factual.

This is a direct quote from the CBP website and can be found at this link under fruits and vegetables and would apply to the orange he was also found to be in possesion of.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...oductsPrepared

"One good example of problems imported fruits and vegetables can cause is the Mediterranean fruit fly outbreak during the 1980s, The outbreak cost the state of California and the Federal Government approximately $100 million to get rid of this pest. The cause of the outbreak was one traveler who brought home one contaminated piece of fruit. It is best not to bring fresh fruits or vegetables into the United States. However, if you plan to, contact either CBP or check the Travelers Information section on the USDA-APHIS web site ( APHIS ) for a general approved list on items that need a permit."

Do you still think that a $300 fine was too much?....
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:56 am
Just Joined

bodypilot will become famous soon enoughbodypilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I wasn't being sensationalist, I was being factual.

This is a direct quote from the CBP website and can be found at this link under fruits and vegetables and would apply to the orange he was also found to be in possesion of.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...oductsPrepared

"One good example of problems imported fruits and vegetables can cause is the Mediterranean fruit fly outbreak during the 1980s, The outbreak cost the state of California and the Federal Government approximately $100 million to get rid of this pest. The cause of the outbreak was one traveler who brought home one contaminated piece of fruit. It is best not to bring fresh fruits or vegetables into the United States. However, if you plan to, contact either CBP or check the Travelers Information section on the USDA-APHIS web site ( APHIS ) for a general approved list on items that need a permit."

Do you still think that a $300 fine was too much?....
Don't tell me you work for the TSA???? Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a if you do.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:56 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodypilot
Don't tell me you work for the TSA???? Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a if you do.
My original post indicated I had no ties with the CBP, TSA or other organisation responsible for homeland security.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Just watching it tonight and I noticed they say "protect over 100,000 miles of U.S. border" at the start. WTF? Where the hell does that number come from? Are they including all the borders between the states and counties?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 5:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Just watching it tonight and I noticed they say "protect over 100,000 miles of U.S. border" at the start. WTF? Where the hell does that number come from? Are they including all the borders between the states and counties?
The empire has grown .... perhaps this covers the border above us.