Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in the Austin, TX area ?

Anyone in the Austin, TX area ?

Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

taff-in-tx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in the Austin, TX area ?

Hi, only just moved to Austin from El Paso within the last month, and was wondering if there might be any other Brits out there ? Current obsessions include finding somewhere where I can get muesli and custard, and fretting over the sad state of my frazzle and monster munch stockpile, or lack of...I ate the last packs before xmas in a secret binge at 3am and was too asleep to savour every mouthful.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:10 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in the Austin, TX area ?

Originally Posted by taff-in-tx
Hi, only just moved to Austin from El Paso within the last month, and was wondering if there might be any other Brits out there ? Current obsessions include finding somewhere where I can get muesli and custard, and fretting over the sad state of my frazzle and monster munch stockpile, or lack of...I ate the last packs before xmas in a secret binge at 3am and was too asleep to savour every mouthful.
There are a fair sprinkling of Brit expats in Austin but the last time I organised a get together no twat showed up. So they are a fairly miserable bunch I think.

Found Bassets Allsorts in CVS today though, so things are looking up.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

well its good to at least meet one, happy to have a beer or three anytime, in the northside, still finding my bearings, pleasure to meet you
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

sorry, did try and respond to your email G1iant, but I think I havent posted enough to be allowed, am very close to the northridge campus of austin community college - out in the sticks just a bit
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:48 am
Just Joined

bishbosh66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I moved to Austin, TX in February this year.

Where is the best places to hang out and meet y'all. LOL

Let me know, maybe watching some rugby down at Fado's or Bagpipes on Burnet / 183.

Let me know, it"ll be good to catch up with some same minded individuals.

Andy
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

gogzy is an unknown quantity at this point

There's actually quite a lot of us I think. You should check out the meetup group at http://brit.meetup.com/330/
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Location: Born in Manchester,England. Moved to New Orleans 2001. Left in 2005 (Katrina) settled in Austin,TX
lilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nice

Hi there!!!
I am originally from Manchester,UK. I now live in Austin TX after leaving New Orleans in 2005, yup evacuee.
Really missing home
If you remember fruit salads,black jacks,Tizwoz, the Flumps, Grange Hill, John Carvens Newsround?
Miss decent flavoured Crisps and have any Typhoo to spare?? Oh and where the hell can I find crumpets here?
Would love to find some mates from back home who are here in Austin around the same age (33) who likes a few pints....
anyone out there??
Cheers!!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

UrsTX is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by taff-in-tx
finding somewhere where I can get muesli and custard, .
Just FYI - The World Market at the Arboretum has custard and other British bits and bobs. Also HEB at Parmer (the one that looks like an airport) has a good selection of that and all Eastern british foods too (curry, naan, etc.)
The Fiesta on 38 1/2 also has a pretty good international section - including cadburys and custard both powder and canned.

Welcome to Austin!
Old May 15th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

oli4uk is an unknown quantity at this point

There's also a Mexican supermarket which does proper nescafé, some good English teas, and a wide range of English sweets and snacks, unfortunately no hobnobs though. I did stock up on some galaxy and dairy milk though, Hershey's is an abomination!

If anyone is really interested I can get the address from the missus!
Old May 16th 2010, 1:34 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean Fiesta. Yes they have hob nobs. I was un there yesterday.

And don't go looking for Danish bacon. I bought it all.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by g1ant
If you mean Fiesta. Yes they have hob nobs. I was un there yesterday.

And don't go looking for Danish bacon. I bought it all.
Must have missed them!

It was indeed Fiesta!
Old May 16th 2010, 3:17 pm
Country Member

Not only did I buy all the Danish bacon. Me and my daughter just ate most of it.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by g1ant
Not only did I buy all the Danish bacon. Me and my daughter just ate most of it.
I am actually considering going back there in the near future to replenish my stock of Yorkies. Nothing gets a morning started like a big cup of coffee and a Yorkie, although nothing gets a heart attack started quite as well either!