Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever contested a speeding ticket?

Anybody ever contested a speeding ticket?

Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody ever contested a speeding ticket?

So, you do understand.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by bewildering
I don't understand. Are we talking step kids?
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What did you think
Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer ... for any reason?
means?

Perhaps the words "any" should also be bolded on the form so as not to be overlooked.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by bewildering
I had no idea the N-400 wanted violations.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My wife and I did not have evidence for them all. We listed them on the N-400 and brought whatever documentation we had (e.g. proof of payment of fines) to our interviews but they didn't even look at the documentation. My wife was freaking out because she actually got a speeding ticket on the morning of the day we had our citizenship interview. She reported it during the interview and the IO made a note of it, then told her she could be sworn in as a USC at a ceremony that same day!

I wouldn't worry about this as long as you are honest, are able to provide whatever documentation you have and you don't have an excessive number of violations to report. I think my wife had 4 to report (1 in Canada and 3 in the US) and I had 2 (1 in the UK and 1 in the US). My wife had no documentation for the Canadian one and I had none for the UK one.
Thanks. I have one speeding conviction (i contested it in court) and one other minor citation for driving on the hard shoulder when I shouldn't have been (long story). Not exactly setting the world on fire with traffic citations..
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:05 pm

Good to know. Your post #37 in this thread seemed to indicate that you'd had more than that.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I have one speeding conviction ...
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:10 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Good to know. Your post #37 in this thread seemed to indicate that you'd had more than that.

Regards, JEff
I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Zep1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update - I went to court this morning. Originally they said if I pleaded guilty they would waive the points because it was my first offence. Then I asked the judge about driving courses and he checked and found I was eligible to have all charges dropped in return for $150 fine and a 6 hour online drivers course. I have to go back in a month to prove I've completed the course, but in my opinion this is all much better than having a charge on my record!

Thank you all for your advice
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zep1988
Just an update - I went to court this morning. Originally they said if I pleaded guilty they would waive the points because it was my first offence. Then I asked the judge about driving courses and he checked and found I was eligible to have all charges dropped in return for $150 fine and a 6 hour online drivers course. I have to go back in a month to prove I've completed the course, but in my opinion this is all much better than having a charge on my record!

Done the online traffic school twice have fun with that one
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zep1988

That's good. However, if you ever apply for citizenship, just remember that you still have to report the citation on the N-400 form.