Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any way to apply for SSN# prior to entry?

Any way to apply for SSN# prior to entry?

Old May 14th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Any way to apply for SSN# prior to entry?

I think I already know the answer to this...no. But if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd appreciate them.

My company have just advised that they can't pay me until they have my SSN#. I suggested they use a dummy 000 number (per a previous BE post) until it comes through but they say they can't accept that. We really need the moving allowance (which is payable in the US) urgently on arrival to fund cars and rental house deposit etc.

Assuming we can't get a penny until we have SSN#, does anyone have any idea of the quickest the number could be obtained? I've read posts saying that technically I could queue up and then go back for the number the next day - is this feasible within 1 day of arrival?

I have searched other posts but can't quite find the answer...

Thanks all - never easy!

Doug.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any way to apply for SSN# prior to entry?

Originally Posted by Dougster75
I think I already know the answer to this...no. But if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd appreciate them.

My company have just advised that they can't pay me until they have my SSN#. I suggested they use a dummy 000 number (per a previous BE post) until it comes through but they say they can't accept that. We really need the moving allowance (which is payable in the US) urgently on arrival to fund cars and rental house deposit etc.

Assuming we can't get a penny until we have SSN#, does anyone have any idea of the quickest the number could be obtained? I've read posts saying that technically I could queue up and then go back for the number the next day - is this feasible within 1 day of arrival?

I have searched other posts but can't quite find the answer...

Thanks all - never easy!

Doug.
Doug, they can pay you! They can estimate your withholding, they can skip it for the first pay period, they can use a holder number.. can you find a human in HR and explain that it could take you a couple of weeks to get the number and underscore your need?

It's not really feasable to get your number in one day. You have to wait on your arrival data to be input into the SAVE system so it's available for SSA to look up. You don't have to wait a whole 2 weeks before going in, but a couple of days.

I would really put the pressure on the company to find a way to pay you. Do you need the link from SSA that tells the employer that they may do this?
Old May 14th 2009, 4:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you can go in the following day and get a copy of the number BUT you would only be able to do this if your details were on the system when you went into the ss office.
If you go before your details are on the system - then they wont be able to input the application then and there (and generate a number oivernight) and will just hold yout application til later. (but who knows how often they would check it). They recomend you wait 10-14 days to be certain your on the system - but you could try earlier and be prepared to walk away with your application and come back if it isnt on yet.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:20 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Doug
In Houston I would highly recommend you wait the 10 to 14 days. In some locations in the US you can go within a couple of days of arriving, but here you will definitely not be in the system that quickly. You could go earlier and be lucky but the majority of cases won't process earlier than that. Once you enter the Port of Entry they have to process your details through to the Social Security Administration and it can take the 10 to 14 days to do that. If you go sooner and the SSA doesn't have your details you go into a "holding pattern" with the likelihood of a 6 week wait for your number/card to come through.

As a caveat, there is no guarantee that waiting the 10 to 14 days will see you verified but you have a much much higher chance at that stage (I'd say 90% of the cases I see are verified at that point). Once verified in the system, you can go back and get the number the next day, but will have to wait approximately 2 weeks for your card to arrive in the mail.

As meauxna says, they CAN pay you - its a load of old poppycock that they can't! Keep the questions coming....................
Old May 14th 2009, 6:23 pm

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought Doug - what have you done about banking? I have some good information on all that if you want it for this location. There are International banks that will be good for you to set up prior to arrival, but also some good local ones that I'd recommend prior to gaining your SSN.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all. Will turn the heat up on the company. For banking, we have opened one of those Lloyd's TSB international accounts and we're just trying to make head or tail of the charges. Does anyone know how much it would cost to move say £1 from the sterling account into the dollar account? I had assumed it was part of the monthly fee but fear I may have been naive...again.

Cheers,

Doug.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Thanks all. Will turn the heat up on the company. For banking, we have opened one of those Lloyd's TSB international accounts and we're just trying to make head or tail of the charges. Does anyone know how much it would cost to move say £1 from the sterling account into the dollar account? I had assumed it was part of the monthly fee but fear I may have been naive...again.

Cheers,

Doug.
I don't have figues on this one Doug, but if you're going to be paid in the UK and will therefore be transferring $'s across to the US on a steady basis, you will be better off talking to HIFX (they banner ad on here) or some other such organization. They lock you into a rate for a 12 month contract, and with the exchange at the moment, you might lose towards the end of the term if the $ strengthens again but they would talk you through all those scenarios.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

newcomer will become famous soon enough

We have very recently moved to Houston from the UK. We banked with HSBC in the UK and they set us up with a US HSBC Premier a/c - it is free to transfer $ to sterling and vice versa at market rates (not tourist) and you can do it online 24/7. You might want to look into it - we pay no bank charges either for the a/c.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by newcomer
We have very recently moved to Houston from the UK. We banked with HSBC in the UK and they set us up with a US HSBC Premier a/c - it is free to transfer $ to sterling and vice versa at market rates (not tourist) and you can do it online 24/7. You might want to look into it - we pay no bank charges either for the a/c.
HSBC is definitely a good option - they don't have physical locations here so a local bank account is still a good idea but for the transfering element newcomer is right.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:40 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Same here - best account i have ever had.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:37 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

My moving allowances were actually for the purchase of specific types of goods (e.g. furniture, electrical items) so I got the company to provide a new company credit card specifically for this purpose. It was waiting for me on the day of arrival.

Mind you I also didn't have any trouble getting them to pay me prior to having my SSN.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all. Our moving allowance isn't that specific but for us it includes the money we need for cars etc. and so it's pretty essential we get it close to landing. They've said that they can pay it in the UK but then tax is 40% versus 30%+ and so we'd lose a good chunk of it right there. There must be a way... I'm still pushing.

Appreciate all the response - at least I know it's pointless rushing straight out to get the SSN#.

Doug.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

It looks like you need 50000GBP in the UK or $100000 in the USA to avoid any monthly charges for HSBC Premier from their websites. Is this not right?

Cheers,
Sam
Old May 16th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Dougster, I am pretty sure that the misc moving allowance can be paid free of income tax if your firm does it right.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:07 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
It looks like you need 50000GBP in the UK or $100000 in the USA to avoid any monthly charges for HSBC Premier from their websites. Is this not right?

Cheers,
Sam
Personally, given the service I get, if I couldn't have it for free then I pay the charges. I get it free but seriously, the best account EVER.