Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any UKers teaching in Florida?

Any UKers teaching in Florida?

Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any UKers teaching in Florida?

I will be entering the U.S shortly via a marriage visa so will be eligible to work pretty much straight away. Our final destination is Florida.

We are both teachers (wife is US citizen and has been teaching here in Scotland since arriving and I’m the UK citizen).

I didn’t really want to continue teaching when we got to FL and have looked at maybe working as a teacher’s aide, or some other job in a school.

Looking at the salary scales and benefits, however and our likely outgoings, I might need to find a teaching job to ensure healthcare and year-round salary.

Is there anyone who is UK qualified and now teaches in Florida? I’m wondering if teaching really is my best option or if there is something else I could do with my qualifications - BA in English and a PGDE (secondary).

Last edited by leema5; Dec 10th 2017 at 1:31 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UKers teaching in Florida?

Teaching at a community college might side-step the qualification/ licensing issue of teaching in the school system.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

I will research the community college angle. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Dolewhippy is an unknown quantity at this point

I teach in Florida, i am the citizen half, so i trained and qualified in the us but taught in the UK. Unless you have a masters, community college won't work. I can advise on the process if you want to get certified here.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dolewhippy
I teach in Florida, i am the citizen half, so i trained and qualified in the us but taught in the UK. Unless you have a masters, community college won't work. I can advise on the process if you want to get certified here.
Thanks for the information. I figured not having a masters might prove problematic. I think I’m okay on the certification process in that I need to have transcripts notarized in the UK and then sent to Florida State to have them measured against their criteria. Does this sound like I’m on the right track?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leema5
Thanks for the information. I figured not having a masters might prove problematic. I think I’m okay on the certification process in that I need to have transcripts notarized in the UK and then sent to Florida State to have them measured against their criteria. Does this sound like I’m on the right track?

Many thanks.
You'll have to get them translated into us equivalents before they are sent, so notarizing will be a waste of time and money. So I'd do that first.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Dolewhippy;12397266]You'll have to get them translated into us equivalents before they are sent, so notarizing will be a waste of time and money. So I'd do that first.[/QUOTE

Good to know. Thanks again.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=leema5;12397276]
Originally Posted by Dolewhippy
You'll have to get them translated into us equivalents before they are sent, so notarizing will be a waste of time and money. So I'd do that first.[/QUOTE

No problem. Feel free to pm me if you want to as well.

Good to know. Thanks again.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The quotes, people, the quotes!

Please make sure that when you quote someone you leave the [QUÖTE] and the [/QUÖTE] tags intact (they don't have umlauts of course) at the beginning and end of what you quoted.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The quotes, people, the quotes!

Please make sure that when you quote someone you leave the [QUÖTE] and the [/QUÖTE] tags intact (they don't have umlauts of course) at the beginning and end of what you quoted.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-...rectly-873146/