Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you read 'Nickle and Dimed'? :scared:
Yep

Frightening

I have limited knowledge of hairdressers mainly because I have limited hair, but have a friend who ran a salon, gave it up in the end because she could make just as much money working on her own as employing people without the hassle.

Childcare - in your 60's!

Some parents friends of mine stayed with us whilst they were here covering the babysitting whilst he was having an op and recuperating. I guess they were 70 ish, but they were counting the days until they could go home. 6 year old and a 3 year old.

Now if you manage the business that could be another issue.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you read 'Nickle and Dimed'? :scared:
Yep very interesting. A real eye opener.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamarick
We will be emigrating to Florida at the end of the year when papers go through and will need to find work. We are both early 60's.

How has everything turned out for you in general? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many of us that live and work here already wonder how on earth we will be able to afford health insurance when we retire. Let alone the cost of meds, and co-pay. We think that we will probably have to return to the UK especially if one of us has a serious long term illness.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Many of us that live and work here already wonder how on earth we will be able to afford health insurance when we retire. Let alone the cost of meds, and co-pay. We think that we will probably have to return to the UK especially if one of us has a serious long term illness.
I read an article where they had costed out what the average person would need in their retirement assuming they did qualify for the US system- $200,000.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Boiler
I read an article where they had costed out what the average person would need in their retirement assuming they did qualify for the US system- $200,000.
Is that a lump sum to cover all health expenses until death?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that a lump sum to cover all health expenses until death?
Yep, incidental costs not covered by US Gov.

And from retirement age.

I thought they were overdoing it but having looked further, probably not.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 5:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Publix grocery stores employ older folk to work the register/pack groceries. I don't know what part of the state you're moving to, but one particular Publix I know has an average age of 75 (or so it seems!) working there
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 5:16 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Publix grocery stores employ older folk to work the register/pack groceries. I don't know what part of the state you're moving to, but one particular Publix I know has an average age of 75 (or so it seems!) working there
All the old people should get a job as us young uns are tired of carrying the sorry asses of the ' had it handed to them' generation. And please DON'T order one of those goddamn electric scooters that are advertised 'don't worry we'll take care of all the medicare paperwork' on the TV. Save us some money.