Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

jamarick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

We will be emigrating to Florida at the end of the year when papers go through and will need to find work. We are both early 60's.

How has everything turned out for you in general? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK Parents of US Citizen emigrated?

Originally Posted by jamarick
We will be emigrating to Florida at the end of the year when papers go through and will need to find work. We are both early 60's.

How has everything turned out for you in general? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Just out of interest, which visa will you be entering on? OK. I realize it's I-130 from the thread title...

If one or both of you has never worked in the US, now's the time to start working on an American resume or CV (depends on the kind of employment you're seeking).

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Apr 1st 2006 at 7:28 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are both early 60's.
Probably answers the resume question. Walmart excepted.

Comes up from time to time, but then Healthcare gets mentioned and that's the end of the discussion.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Without knowing your professional credentials and experience, it is difficult to comment on your chances of finding work. However, as others have mentioned, healthcare is going to be the big issue. Fewer and fewer employers are offering decent healthcare benefits.

Your age might actually make companies reluctant to take you on (sorry to be blunt but you cannot get around this). Organizing your own healthcare provision is likely to be extremely expensive.

FWIW, a lot of British expats are planning to retire to the UK precisely because of concerns about healthcare costs.

Sorry to sound so negative but this is something you need to look into before your move.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

as mentioned, healthcare will be a killer...and at your age, although it shouldn't be a problem, you will struggle to find anyone willing to take you on for work except walmart...
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
as mentioned, healthcare will be a killer...and at your age, although it shouldn't be a problem, you will struggle to find anyone willing to take you on for work except walmart...
Walmart and Healthcare.

In the same sentence.

How do you spell oxymoron?
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Walmart and Healthcare.

In the same sentence.

Have you read 'Nickle and Dimed'? :scared:
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Walmart and Healthcare.

In the same sentence.

aye, well, yeah, shite care, but on the plus, be working *lol*...and on your feet all day, so really will end up needing healthcare....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:28 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, well, yeah, shite care, but on the plus, be working *lol*...and on your feet all day, so really will end up needing healthcare....

AFAIK the issue with Wally healthcare is that none of the non-management staff can afford it...
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:54 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the reverse seat, when I got USC I sponsored a parent via the Immediate Relative route, didn't take long and she got a GC quite quickly. From experience of the issues, as others have pointed out, health care will be a fantastically serious issue. Frankly, you might want to look into setting up a low risk business that provides a substantially risk free income. Ever thought about child care? There is a huge demand for childcare because many parents of young children need or otherwise desire to be in full time work/careers.

Since you are keen on earning a living once you get here, but your age and health care costs could be a serious issue, you might want to check out what is involved in setting up a business in the country where you intend to live, but keep in mind that most businesses fail within two years of starting up, but some sectors seem to do better than others. I don't know, but childcare might be one area where your combined age could be a positive attribute, people might trust you more. Then again, they might think you would let Johnnie run around, escape and get run-over. So find a good location away from traffic with a large secure and safe backyard with lots of shade and cool areas both outside and in the house/premises. If you are going to live with your sponsor this could be difficult, is he/she living in a hi-rise?

Just some ideas, I am always full of them, but they are just that. I do not have any professional experience of the child care business and/or setting up one's own business in the state of Florida (FL) or in any county in the state of FL. Seek professional advice and do lots of due diligence and research and research until you really know what you are letting yourselves in for moving to the USA in your 60s.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 1st 2006 at 10:11 pm. Reason: inter alia ... see -> seek
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
AFAIK the issue with Wally healthcare is that none of the non-management staff can afford it...
That's true....it's all a dodgy scam with wally world anyway.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by User Name
...Frankly, you might want to look into setting up a low risk business that provides a substantially risk free income. Ever thought about child care? There is a huge demand for childcare because many parents of young children need or otherwise desire to be in full time work/careers. .
childcare is a good option, though it's a lot of work...and insurance on the business will be massive, as well as really strict regulations, well around here there really very tight, rails have to be a certain height, tables without sharp edges etc, etc...it's pretty stressful business...
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:09 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
childcare is a good option, though it's a lot of work...and insurance on the business will be massive, as well as really strict regulations, well around here there really very tight, rails have to be a certain height, tables without sharp edges etc, etc...it's pretty stressful business...
Yes, that seems to make sense Bob (but I can't talk from personal experience or any special knowledge of this business sector since I have next to zip). But it seems to pay well though the cost of meeting the full regulations will likely prove expensive. I would suggest that anyone thinking of setting up such a business does a lot of research and consults with a competent business attorney familiar with the relevant legal issues and regulations.

Another business might be hair-dressing (what a particular term, perhaps I have it wrong). But with my mum with me I have noticed that there is a huge market for hairdressers. Female seniors seem very particular about having their hair done on a regular basis. Believe you me, I have spent a bit of time looking for a "decent hairdresser" who is "around for a long time". Seniors like to natter with their hairdresser. So this is another business idea, probably less risk and less regulation. But will cost some to set up and will involve a lot of hard work. But if getting a job is real hard, then looking into setting up a local business might be the way to go, but the risks of failure are VERY HIGH, especially in the first two years. So again, the 60 year old couple might find it too hard to do and should anyway do lots of research before going ahead with any business venture, but for sure, the lower risk business ventures would seem to be one way to proceed. But I am only a layman with no special expertise in business law/setting up other than my own personal experience, which is naturally very limited. I would strongly recommend that anyone thinking of setting up a business to contact the SBA (www.sba.gov) and seek professional advice from competent business legal counsel in the county/state of the putative business start-up.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by User Name
Yes, that seems to make sense Bob (but I can't talk from personal experience or any special knowledge of this business sector since I have next to zip). But it seems to pay well though the cost of meeting the full regulations will likely prove expensive. I would suggest that anyone thinking of setting up such a business does a lot of research and consults with a competent business attorney familiar with the relevant legal issues and regulations.
when I first moved to the states, the missus got a job working in one, we lived above the place....mad stuff I can tell you....but a good option, and scarily, way less in regulations were if you had less than 5 kids as a home carer, either in own house of at house of kids...that's pretty good money too apparantly, and misses out on a lot of safety regulations of having a full on day care/nursery.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:43 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Bob
when I first moved to the states, the missus got a job working in one, we lived above the place....mad stuff I can tell you....but a good option, and scarily, way less in regulations were if you had less than 5 kids as a home carer, either in own house of at house of kids...that's pretty good money too apparantly, and misses out on a lot of safety regulations of having a full on day care/nursery.
I sort of asked my mum if she wanted to have a couple of kids to look after (while I am at work); just seems to me that folks are pretty desperate for child-care. But she said she is just too old for it, and anyway, her health and arthritis would make it very difficult. I suppose looking after a couple of kids who can't walk might be easier - just pen them up and make faces at them and make sure they have their feeds and plenty of sleep (but what do I know, I am just this guy, you know (borrowed from DA's HHGTTG). Mum loves babies, maybe I will ask her about it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.