Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any tips for sinusitis?

Any tips for sinusitis?

Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any tips for sinusitis?

Hi,
I don't know if this is the right place to post - but I fnd since I've been in USA I have had a lot of sinus infections.
I can only put it down to the dry air heating. (I also get masses of shocks from people, cars, etc).
But, what I wanted from posters if possible if they have any advice or opinions for how to avoid it, or treat myself once I get it. (Obviously avoidance is what I am after!). I have googled it, of course; but sometimes personal advice works better.. little tips that they might not include on a health-site.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips for sinusitis?

Originally Posted by keaki80
Hi,
I don't know if this is the right place to post - but I fnd since I've been in USA I have had a lot of sinus infections.
I can only put it down to the dry air heating. (I also get masses of shocks from people, cars, etc).
But, what I wanted from posters if possible if they have any advice or opinions for how to avoid it, or treat myself once I get it. (Obviously avoidance is what I am after!). I have googled it, of course; but sometimes personal advice works better.. little tips that they might not include on a health-site.

Thanks in advance.
I think the heating could contribute but it is more likely due to allergies. Moving to a completely different area of the world places you in the middle of a different soupy mix of potential allergens. Try purchasing local honey and taking 2-3 teaspoons per day. By local I mean as local as humanly possible. The Whole Foods here has local honey but you should check out farmers markets and health food stores too. Honey needs to be raw and unpasteurized.

Also, stress and dehydration can harm the mucous membranes. Something to keep in mind.

You can try washing your nasal cavity out with salt water but I've never been able to pull that off. I just throw up all over the place.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If you have dry air heating , invest in a humdifier.

Ironically I found that the dry air makes my chronic sinusitis a lot better.

Feel free to PM me if you wan to compare sinus woes

I just found out that my op in the UK to cure a deviated septum has left me with a perforated one
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I think the heating could contribute but it is more likely due to allergies. Moving to a completely different area of the world places you in the middle of a different soupy mix of potential allergens. Try purchasing local honey and taking 2-3 teaspoons per day. By local I mean as local as humanly possible. The Whole Foods here has local honey but you should check out farmers markets and health food stores too. Honey needs to be raw and unpasteurized.

Also, stress and dehydration can harm the mucous membranes. Something to keep in mind.

You can try washing your nasal cavity out with salt water but I've never been able to pull that off. I just throw up all over the place.
Thank you Leslie, I will try the honey thing. I have bought a humidifier and I'm going to try and start getting some real air into this house! Even though it means the heating will have to go up.
I didn't realise about the stress, but that figures and it certainly seems to happen when I have been most stressed.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
If you have dry air heating , invest in a humdifier.

Ironically I found that the dry air makes my chronic sinusitis a lot better.

Feel free to PM me if you wan to compare sinus woes

I just found out that my op in the UK to cure a deviated septum has left me with a perforated one
Thanks, sad about the deviated septum. I broke my nose as a child and never had it fixed, (they didn't bother back then) so I look a bit like a boxer and I did wonder if that would affect it; that being said in 49 years of UK living, I never had it once!
Maybe I'll think twice about going down any operative route.
I may pm you later, but I have sat on this computer too long today, (recovering from sinusitis and bronchitis riight now!!)
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Thank you Leslie, I will try the honey thing. I have bought a humidifier and I'm going to try and start getting some real air into this house! Even though it means the heating will have to go up.
I didn't realise about the stress, but that figures and it certainly seems to happen when I have been most stressed.
You might try a Neti Pot (not sure of spelling). Check on Dr. Oz site on what to fill it with. Salt water I think. I have a friend who swears by it.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered a lot when I lived in Portland (years ago) and when people visit me from out of state I notice they tend to have "attacks". Basically, the honey does what an allergy shot does at the doctor - introducing you to small bits of the local pollens in order for you to build a resistance.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
You might try a Neti Pot (not sure of spelling). Check on Dr. Oz site on what to fill it with. Salt water I think. I have a friend who swears by it.
Netti potty is great as is the mini humidifier thingy that you can get at cvs or walgreens. Pour in hot water and it helps steam your sinuses..... For a cheap fix, boiling water and some vapor rub in a bowl with a towel over your head.
Also found that ibuprofen acting as an anti inflammatory helps with the pressure pain and there's several good nasal sprays you can get over the counter too.... Good luck
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Inhale Vick in a bowl of hot water...or Afrin nasal spray. I thought I had sinus problems last January but nothing seemed to help. I then thought it could be allergies...bought Clariton D (Costco sell their own brand much cheaper)...it worked.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:39 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

be careful if self medicating , many otc decongestants will relieve your symptoms for a few days and then cause "rebound congestion" leading to you actually feeling worse. Then you take more of the decongestant etc.

Sinus rinsing with saline is a good tactic but apparently tricky if you have a hole in your nose
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:07 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I 2nd that I have one they are amazing around $10 - $15 for the pot/kit.
Attached Thumbnails Any tips for sinusitis?-200.jpg  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
We live in Washington as well....Western Washington. I'm originally from Southern California and then moved to the UK and then we moved to Washington. To be honest we (both hubs and I) have had more sinus issues here than anywhere. We use decongestants, nasal sprays and I have used saline sprays, ibuprofen is our best friend for those really lovely sinus headaches.

No real tips for avoidance. Although I'll be reading this thread to see if someone has a good idea, for sure.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
They're brilliant. Slightly disconcerting if you see the crap that comes out but the relief is great.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Thanks everyone. I have tried just sniffing up salt water, but to be honest it seems to make my headache worse! After I read Aviva's suggestion of a neti-pot, I looked it up and how to use it, but it all sounds pretty gross to me. Then Lisa recommends it, too, so maybe I should give it a go. If ever I get water down my nose when I'm swimming though, I panic, so I don't know how I'll get on!!
I need a steamer, too.. I looked into warm steam as opposed to cold air that blasts me all night now.
NEVER had these problems in UK!

Thanks again all.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I have tried just sniffing up salt water, but to be honest it seems to make my headache worse! After I read Aviva's suggestion of a neti-pot, I looked it up and how to use it, but it all sounds pretty gross to me. Then Lisa recommends it, too, so maybe I should give it a go. If ever I get water down my nose when I'm swimming though, I panic, so I don't know how I'll get on!!
I need a steamer, too.. I looked into warm steam as opposed to cold air that blasts me all night now.
NEVER had these problems in UK!

Thanks again all.
Its actually not as gross as it sounds you are only pouring water into one side and its coming out the other, I hate going under water and won't dive or snorkel just never happened hate the feeling so I know where you are coming from...you will laugh once you try it but give it a few goes its very refreshing and makes you feel kinda cleansed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.