British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any resentment on arrival? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-resentment-arrival-611001/)

Bob May 25th 2009 9:47 pm

Re: Any resentment on arrival?

Originally Posted by kwilson (Post 7600184)
Generally speaking the attitude I've always got has been gratitude for "doing it the right way", i.e. being a legal immigrant and going through the system properly - and respect for the time, effort and money I've put into it!

Depending on where you end up, might end up somewhere where people don't know the difference or are aware that there a proper way in :D

Generally though, I wouldn't worry about it.

lisadelangey May 26th 2009 12:08 am

what a shame that we cant just all get along

SpaceProg May 26th 2009 12:38 am

Oh, another thing I just thought about that you will hear a LOT.
"We really whipped you good, didn't we?" or other references to the Revolutionary War. They're usually not meant in spite. Just in jest on the most part and pretty much everyone sees the war as being well over. Now, the US Civil War, on the other hand...

lisa67 May 26th 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by SpaceProg (Post 7603686)
Oh, another thing I just thought about that you will hear a LOT.
"We really whipped you good, didn't we?" or other references to the Revolutionary War. They're usually not meant in spite. Just in jest on the most part and pretty much everyone sees the war as being well over. Now, the US Civil War, on the other hand...

Interesting...never heard anyone mention that!!:huh:

SpaceProg May 26th 2009 12:49 am

Wow... Must be nice. :p

Bob May 26th 2009 12:50 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7603696)

usually around July 4th :D

lisa67 May 26th 2009 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7603708)

:rofl:

tonrob May 26th 2009 1:12 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7603696)

Me neither.

Redwing May 26th 2009 1:25 am

Never had a problem with anybody in my over 30 yrs here. Most people want to know what it's like in the UK. Have always been made very welcome. I note that you are moving to Indiana. I lived in Richmond a few years ago. Very nice people.

chartreuse May 26th 2009 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7603708)

The New England Mutiny?

SarahG May 26th 2009 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Redwing (Post 7603781)
Never had a problem with anybody in my over 30 yrs here. Most people want to know what it's like in the UK. Have always been made very welcome. I note that you are moving to Indiana. I lived in Richmond a few years ago. Very nice people.

I think that my personal biggest hurdle will be adjusting myself to living in a vary small town after growing up in Edinburgh and then living in Preston and then Northampton. The fact a lot of people will know who I am before I arrive is quite unnerving! Took a while to adjust to when I lived in DeWitt Michigan as an Exchange Student.

notacrime May 26th 2009 10:26 am

Originally Posted by SarahG1976 (Post 7604531)
I think that my personal biggest hurdle will be adjusting myself to living in a vary small town after growing up in Edinburgh and then living in Preston and then Northampton. The fact a lot of people will know who I am before I arrive is quite unnerving! Took a while to adjust to when I lived in DeWitt Michigan as an Exchange Student.

Yes, small-town life will be a culture shock, and will just compound the culture shock of moving to a new country.

I think it's unlikely that you will experience any resentment for all the same reasons posted already. I sometimes get it in a joking way from my American friends, and it's only funny because they think of me as one of them, and the fact I have to go through all this paperwork seems silly.

So assuming you don't look like and sound like a Mexican you'll be accepted. (The whole 'illegal immigrant' meme is just cover for racism - a cheeky English bartender working on a fake social security card is not what 'illegal immigrant' means to the vast majority of Americans, even though in the eyes of the law they are exactly equivalent to an undocumented farm worker.)

paul1968mcr May 26th 2009 11:03 am

Where abouts in Indiana are you gonna be living??

All the people here seem to consider Brits as long lost cousins, and as others have said, don't really consider us foreign at all.

I work shifts in a large factory and there's alot of harmless banter, particularly around the 4th of July, but it's all very good humoured.

Really we could not have wished for a warmer welcome.

Now if you look Mexican....thats a different story.

lisa67 May 26th 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by SarahG1976 (Post 7604531)

I came over from Northampton to a really small town in Michigan...took a while to adjust but it was a great place for the kids to grow up in :)

cathy22w May 26th 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rotoiti (Post 7600177)
I didn't notice any resentment towards Brits or other Europeans. You may hear a few snide remarks if you look like a Latino. Sad but true.

I agree with this. I have never had an issue, but have noticed a lot of hostility towards Hispanics. They generally seem to find the Brits a breath of fresh air, in my experience.