Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any resentment on arrival?

Any resentment on arrival?

Old May 24th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any resentment on arrival?

Due to the current economic climate and the number of people out of work in the US right now. I was wondering if any of you who have gone to America on a work visa have had any problems with US citizens? Has there been any resentment or anger directed at you by people who are not happy foreigners are being hired over citizens?

As my husband is in the middle of the process to get his work visa, I am wondering what our arrival may bring, friends or instant enemies?
Old May 24th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice
Default Re: Any resentment on arrival?

I didn't notice any resentment towards Brits or other Europeans. You may hear a few snide remarks if you look like a Latino. Sad but true.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:08 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Generally speaking the attitude I've always got has been gratitude for "doing it the right way", i.e. being a legal immigrant and going through the system properly - and respect for the time, effort and money I've put into it!
Old May 24th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rotoiti
I didn't notice any resentment towards Brits or other Europeans. You may hear a few snide remarks if you look like a Latino. Sad but true.
Originally Posted by kwilson
Generally speaking the attitude I've always got has been gratitude for "doing it the right way", i.e. being a legal immigrant and going through the system properly - and respect for the time, effort and money I've put into it!
Glad to hear it! As we are moving to a small town in Indiana I don't think I would have been able to cope with any resentment or anything like that.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it might depend on what you do.

In my case I'm quite specialized so I'm not really in a situation where I'm competing for work.

In fact, I suppose it's the other way round. Delays with my visa are causing a hold up on our product development, which is causing hold ups on jobs for people in manufacturing, so in fact they actually want me to get over there as soon as possible!
Old May 24th 2009, 8:33 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
Due to the current economic climate and the number of people out of work in the US right now. I was wondering if any of you who have gone to America on a work visa have had any problems with US citizens? Has there been any resentment or anger directed at you by people who are not happy foreigners are being hired over citizens?

As my husband is in the middle of the process to get his work visa, I am wondering what our arrival may bring, friends or instant enemies?
(We are a UK/US couple).
Our personal experience is that the Americans we have met do not consider the British to be 'foreigners', go figure! I have even had conversations with Americans who complain about foreign workers to me; they consider the colonization history and presumably shared language as enough to excuse any consideration that I shouldn't be here.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:23 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

In my 6 years here I've only had two or three occasions when someone has made unpleasant comments about my foreign worker status. Only one person has ever had the never to say anything directly to my face.

I'm sure there's been some muttering at work behind my back, but not sufficient to concern me.

So, all in all, it seems to me that there's not much anti-British Immigrant sentiment where I live and work. Having said that, I'm in a relatively culturally and racially diverse place, and work with smart, well-informed people (on the whole). The situation may be quite different in smaller towns with fewer immigrants or higher unemployment.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved over (9 years ago) our neighbor made a snide remark about people coming over and taking jobs etc. etc. His wife owned and ran the local Montessori school and when I tried to get my daughter in there we were turned away as she thought it wouldn't be right for the rest of the children if we were going to be leaving after a couple of years (which was our original plan!!)
When they realised we had decided to stay for the long haul she tried to employ me as one of her teachers...took great delight in telling her I didn't want the job!!
That has been the only incident. we have found that when you explain the hoops you have to jump through to get here people are very supportive
Old May 25th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I won't know for sure how we will be accepted until we actually arrive there, but I am hopeful that it will be alright!
Old May 25th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
I guess I won't know for sure how we will be accepted until we actually arrive there, but I am hopeful that it will be alright!
The day after I moved to the US, I walked into the local gas station convenience store... and the first thing the attendent said to me was, "You're not from around here, are you?"

Ian
Old May 25th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The day after I moved to the US, I walked into the local gas station convenience store... and the first thing the attendent said to me was, "You're not from around here, are you?"

Ian
I get that here in England now so God knows what I will have people say to me in Indiana!
Old May 25th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

To the "Not from around here" comment: You'll get used to it, and they'll get used to you, and it'll stop.... until you go somewhere new.

Most of the resentment is toward illegal immigrants getting citizen's jobs. If you come to the US through the 'right legal channels', then, as a previous poster said, you'd probably get praised for "doing it the right legal way".
Old May 25th 2009, 5:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The people I've met who seemed to get some resentment were the ones who come with the attitude of
"Well in UK we do this and it's so much better that what you do" and let it be known. You can think things are rubbish all you want, just don't tell them

There's a lot of dislike/resentment for Illegal aliens here too.
Old May 25th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

My experiences have been anything but resentful. Quite the opposite in fact. I've had comments from co-workers suggesting I "get away with murder with that accent"...but they don't say it in a nasty way.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Yeah, but the kilt gave you away in Kentucky.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.