Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any possible pitfalls?

Any possible pitfalls?

Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any possible pitfalls?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
'Ere you go. I received a quote last night to replace one of our heating/AC systems .... $10-$12,000 for mid-range to moderately well specified systems, so more expensive is certainly possible. Then another $2,700 to fix some ductwork issues to bring it up to current code - that isn't required, but will enable us to make better use of the new system and address poor heating and cooling issues in some parts of our home.

In short, going the whole hog to replace our systems would certainly cost $25,000, and could be more if we chose systems with all the bells and whistles.

To be clear, this isn't an esoteric system we're talking about, it's a split AC system - most of the machinery in the attic with the condenser coils outside, and a heat pump with gas back up for the coldest weather. And the quote isn't for one of the known high price brands either, it for well known manufacturers, with a good reputation, but not the most expensive ones.
As you know P, I went through the air con replacement 18 months ago...
I replaced the outdoor condensor and the indoor (attic) air handler. I bought a mid range 3 ton with heat pump. I didn't need new ducting. under $5k.
If you read carefully about heat pumps and heating, you will find out that they can cope with sub-zero temps outside and still keep the house warm . This has been my experience through some cold weeks last year. The air handler has heat strips that will kick in at about 25F. I have a nest thermostat controlling it all and re-set to this level. Works a treat and I'd like to get the downstairs unit done too but that is not a priority.

My air con has to cope with really high temps for 5 months of the year and it has done it through 2 summers with no problem. Not sure why you need to spend $25 k. Bloody expensive gas back up that you may not need in NC?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We put in a dual fuel heat pump 3 years ago. We had to have the furnace relocated to put a coil in, electrics and running of the coolant pipe work. We did not install new ducting or vents. We paid $5000 for a 3 ton mid range heat pump system and that was from a manufacturer platinum approved installer which allowed us to change our mind in the first year. Yes our heat pump has worked down to about 20 to 25 degrees, but I think it would be cheaper to adjust the system to use the gas furnace at those temperatures now. We did not replace the gas furnace.

I don't understand the $25k quote, seems expensive to me.

Just had a condenser boiler replace 2 years ago in the UK, price was just under £4000 with some pipework being moved.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about todays prices ( I'll bet they'd be higher!! ) but our system was replaced in 2010. New furnace/fan coil, condenser, thermostat, pad and sub panel set the previous owner back $9228. It's a fairly small system and nothing fancy at 24000btu, 7kw, no doubt Pulaski towers would probably need a considerably larger system?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 10:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
We put in a dual fuel heat pump 3 years ago. We had to have the furnace relocated to put a coil in, electrics and running of the coolant pipe work. We did not install new ducting or vents. We paid $5000 for a 3 ton mid range heat pump system and that was from a manufacturer platinum approved installer which allowed us to change our mind in the first year. Yes our heat pump has worked down to about 20 to 25 degrees, but I think it would be cheaper to adjust the system to use the gas furnace at those temperatures now. We did not replace the gas furnace.

I don't understand the $25k quote, seems expensive to me. .....
There was no $25k quote!

If you can't be bothered to read what I wrote, there is no point in you bothering to reply because your "reply" will at best be irrelevant.

I suspect that your digs are smaller than Pulaski Manor, and that it gets colder here than in your neck of the woods. In any case we're wiling to pay for the Honda Accord of home heating and cooling systems, not the Dodge Nitro level appliance.
Originally Posted by zzrmark
Not sure about todays prices ( I'll bet they'd be higher!! ) but our system was replaced in 2010. New furnace/fan coil, condenser, thermostat, pad and sub panel set the previous owner back $9228. It's a fairly small system and nothing fancy at 24000btu, 7kw, no doubt Pulaski towers would probably need a considerably larger system?
Thank you! That is consistent with the quote I referred to above, and in fact that is a bit more than a "basic" system would cost, but we want one that is (i) fuel efficient, and (ii) does a better job than the existing system, which really doesn't work in cold weather, and I mean in some rooms you'd need to wear a coat and gloves when it gets down into the low 20's or lower.
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
...... Not sure why you need to spend $25 k. Bloody expensive gas back up that you may not need in NC?
There was an "s" in my post that you missed, and there was no $25k quote.

We live far enough above sea level that the weather is such that a heat pump isn't going to give us all the warmth that we would like, even though we like to keep the house relatively cool. Dropping the furnace wouldn't change the quote much anyway, it's the AC that's the pricy bit.

To your main point though, that system appears to have been junk when it was first installed and has never done a good job at either heating or cooling. We closed the baffles to the master bedroom each winter to try to divert warm air to other areas, with only limited success, and for the last two summers the system struggled to hold the temperature at 76°F even in the evening when the temperatures dropped a little outside, but we liked it a bit cooler before going to bed. If we ever allowed the temperature to go higher then the system couldn't get it down again even if it ran constantly all night. Our other system can take the temperature down 10°F in a few hours, and increase the temperature even faster in the winter.

Trust me, we kept the thing on life support as long as we could, and I am saying that as someone who is driving an Accord around that has 338,000 miles on the clock, but the system has needed $300-$800 of repairs each year and the time has come to stop throwing good money after bad. .... To make the system work (whatever "work" means for this POS), would mean another $700 now, and we would rather put that towards a new system.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 15th 2017 at 10:35 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Replacement boiler is around £3000. .
Just replaced the mother-in-law's combi boiler in a 3 bed semi, it cost £1500.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that your digs are smaller than Pulaski Manor, and that it gets colder here than in your neck of the woods. In any case we're wiling to pay for the Honda Accord of home heating and cooling systems, not the Dodge Nitro level appliance.
I would rather drive around in a 5 star crash tested vehicle with lifetime warranty, than a 3 star test rated vehicle. We did almost buy an Accord until we found that the rear pasengers were not safe.

Thank you! That is consistent with the quote I referred to above, and in fact that is a bit more than a "basic" system would cost, but we want one that is (i) fuel efficient, and (ii) does a better job than the existing system, which really doesn't work in cold weather, and I mean in some rooms you'd need to wear a coat and gloves when it gets down into the low 20's or lower.

There was an "s" in my post that you missed, and there was no $25k quote.

We live far enough above sea level that the weather is such that a heat pump isn't going to give us all the warmth that we would like, even though we like to keep the house relatively cool. Dropping the furnace wouldn't change the quote much anyway, it's the AC that's the pricy bit.
Our heat pump system kept our house nice an cosy down when the temperature outside was -18F. Admittedly the auxillary heat did kick in. I have no idea how cold it gets there. It has reduced our heat bills a lot. However we did have issues at the beginning where the vent temperature was only getting up to just over 80F. Our house was probably more like yours during this time, however we did have the second option. Once this was fixed, the vent temperature on heat pump is around 95F and on furnace around 110F. So now we the option to use 3 types of fuel to heat our house.

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Just replaced the mother-in-law's combi boiler in a 3 bed semi, it cost £1500.
Was that installed? That seems like a good deal, my thermostat alone was in the £200 range. We went from a back boiler to a combi.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AZgal
On and off for the mast few years we have been researching a move to Arizona from the U.K. We have even just come back from a month actually being in Arizona.

Everything is coming together this time and our research has proved very positive. My Other Half is getting a transfer, I have found a lot of jobs I could apply for, we have chosen 3 areas we’d like to live and visited them, property is all bigger and cheaper than here in the U.K., our general costs would be cheaper, we have a great deal for a car rental until we buy our own, we tried out social groups and loved them, we love the weather, I’m working on all the insurances, we have savings, looked at the logistics of shipping,

But you know that feeling if it all seems too good... So I was wondering has anyone made the move and come across pitfalls or issues that I haven’t thought about?
I wont read through the pages of replies, but seems like you found a good thing. I've moved many times in my life, and I've met people in similar situations and some love life, while some not so much and live in the past. Why? I think it comes down to your personal outlook in life. If you embrace change and seek out things to do and new people to meet, you will be happy anywhere. If you dont, then oh well....
America is a wonderful place to be in and people generally open and welcoming, and the diversity of interests and social circles is huge. You can always find your happy spot, just come with an open mind.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Was that installed? That seems like a good deal, my thermostat alone was in the £200 range. We went from a back boiler to a combi.
yes, like for like replacement, although thinking about it, that may have been before VAT. I presume you’ve gone for a fancy smart thermostat? Bog standard wireless one is £50.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by yellowroom
yes, like for like replacement, although thinking about it, that may have been before VAT. I presume you’ve gone for a fancy smart thermostat? Bog standard wireless one is £50.
Was that the Liverpool version? They are £120 without installation for a basic wireless one. I think I had to pay minimum 1 hr for labor.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell...ermostat/87377
Old Nov 17th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Was that the Liverpool version? They are £120 without installation for a basic wireless one. I think I had to pay minimum 1 hr for labor
Honeywell DT92E Wireless Digital Thermostat Replacement Unit - HRH Solutions
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that, I did now you could buy just the wireless part. I had to buy both the wireless part and the "base station" package.