Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any poms that can help?

Any poms that can help?

Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:08 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Question Any poms that can help?

Hi, I don't normally post in the USA forum as I'm an englishman that has moved to Australia. Are there any british bookworms on here that wouldn't mind doing me a favor please.

I read a really sad SCI-FI book series called Perry Rhodan and have read them all my life untill I coulnd't get any more of them. I've just discovered loads of them on amazon.com (US version) but the postage to get them to Australia is a really daft $9.95 per book!! the books are very light 200 page paperbacks that only cost between 50c and about $4 so the postage costs are really daft.

What I need is someone that lives in the states that I can buy the books from Amazon and get them sent to your address in the states where you then but them all in a box and post them to me in Australia. I will of course either refund the postage or if it makes it easier buy you a book of your choice that is expensive enough to cover the postage.

Anyone fancy it?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any poms that can help?

Have you checked whether there's other online sellers that have this author's books other than Amazon?

When you checked Amazon, was there multiple options for shipping? US$9.95 sounds like airmail. Maybe you can choose surface mail.

Do you have friends/family in the UK who can buy you the books and mail them to you? You can pay them back.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of other decent books sites that are probably worth checking out first...can't remember any, but someone did list them out in this section a few months back, so you might find it....
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

bookfinder.com and used.addall.com
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure thats not per order?

I've shipped from US To UK before and its like $9 for the first book then $2 per book after that.... unless you're buying used then its per book always as its coming from different people.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound

I've shipped from US To UK before and its like $9 for the first book then $2 per book after that.... unless you're buying used then its per book always as its coming from different people.
It is being sent from US to Oz though...so a lot futher postage than to Blighty...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It can amke a big difference who they use, seen it on other boards, UPS can be very expensive, whilst USPS is acceptable.

Story was to use a supplier who had shippment options that worked for you.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:36 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound

Thanks for all your comments but I have even spoke to Amazon about it. The books are quite hard to come by and its not actually Amazon that sell them, they are just the market place for the 2nd hand dealers that do have what I want. My books are spread across about a dozen 2nd hand dealers and they all charge through amazon 9.95 per book for international postage with no option for a slower and cheaper or even a multi book from one vendor way of doing it. So currently if I say order 5 books from the one dealer via Amazon I get charged 5 x 9.95 even though that dealer could easily just put them in a small box weighing less than half a kilo and still send the lot for 9.95

Anyway thanks guys I've had a PM offer which I will hopfully take up

Thanks again.