Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future
Default Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

I hate the cooker that sits in our kitchen, and thankfully hubby has finally come to his senses and agrees with me that it is a death trap.

It has a whole load of pilot lights that are constantly on and which means that the stove is continually emitting heat to the extent that you can't leave anything on the range because it's always hot to touch. Once we came home and the house stank of gas because one of the pilots had extinguished and was pumping out gas.

But mainly I absolutely detest the broiler pan at the bottom which hubby is scared for me to use because when I've tried I've almost set the house alight. There is only one setting for this contraption and I abhor having to crawl on my hands and knees to use it. Not being able see how food is cooking down there has resulted in several charred meals.

The oven is also HUGE and I can't even think about using it during the Atlanta summer because the house will melt, although bizarrely any meal within might still be chilly. Cooking anything is pure hit and miss.

So, I'm in the market for a new cooker and so far I've been really disappointed with the options I've found.

I would LOVE to be able to find a UK style cooker with a proper grill (ooh especially one at a reasonable height with heat settings!) so that I can make cheese on toast without crawling on my hands and knees or burning the kitchen down.

The last shop assistant I spoke to was completely confused and just showed me more horrid broil pans, and then one stove which seemed to have a bbq grill option! She then showed me a Siemens model which was practically identical to all the ginormous US ranges with the broiling pans and single ovens and thought that was the end of the matter because it was a European manufacturer and thus must be what I was looking for!

Dare I hope to find something along the lines I'm looking for in the States (Atlanta in particular) or is this simply a lost cause? Anyone else bemused by this "broiling" weirdness?

Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

Washing machines and now cookers!!!! This is turning into "Housewives weekly"!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:37 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

You could switch to an electric model. Solve the pilot light/smelling of gas problems.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

In this edition of Housewives Weekly Jan would like to offer the following advice .... probably no chance in hell of finding a UK style cooker over here sorry.
However, try looking at the Electrolux 'frigidaire' Gallery series ranges, still a huge oven (you'll be needing that to cook the 20lb turkey for Thanksgiving soon) but the 'broiler' is on the top of the oven so you can grill (top level of oven) and the pilots lights arent on all the time either.

Hope this helps

Jan
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:04 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
probably no chance in hell of finding a UK style cooker over here sorry.
Agreed. Huge ovens, huge washing machines and tiny baths - thats just the way it is.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Just be thankful that your oven's not a top-loader.

Anyway, you've got no chance so you'd better get used to it. Most gas ranges do not have pilot lights, so you ought to be able to improve things. Maybe get a toaster oven on the side.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

We are building a new home and I think this is the oven that we are going to go with:

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p22787988?sourceid=3

it is the nearest I have found to a proper English cooker -- instead of having that stupid storage drawer at the bottom, it has a grill for your cheese on toast!!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:23 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinKaboo
I would LOVE to be able to find a UK style cooker with a proper grill (ooh especially one at a reasonable height with heat settings!) so that I can make cheese on toast without crawling on my hands and knees or burning the kitchen down.
You can definitely find them (example: http://store.universal-akb.net/393aga64se4o.html) but they're generally the ultra-expensive luxury type. The Great Indoors and Expo both carry several cookers, at least they do here in Chicago. Go to a professional kitchen supply store or an upscale appliance store and you should find at least one option. It will not, however, be cheap.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You can definitely find them (example: http://store.universal-akb.net/393aga64se4o.html) but they're generally the ultra-expensive luxury type. The Great Indoors and Expo both carry several cookers, at least they do here in Chicago. Go to a professional kitchen supply store or an upscale appliance store and you should find at least one option. It will not, however, be cheap.

yep.. we got ours from Expo ( $4k :scared: )
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Those broiler things are pretty nasty...anyone actually ever use them?

But anyway....best bet would probably be electric...though I haven't seen that many nice looking induction tops around...
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Did you get a good warranty with it LOL!?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Did you get a good warranty with it LOL!?

not thats just cruel ..
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

But anyway....best bet would probably be electric...though I haven't seen that many nice looking induction tops around...
see post above yours..ours is gorgeous, made by Dacor, costs a flaming arm and a leg though..
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
see post above yours..ours is gorgeous, made by Dacor, costs a flaming arm and a leg though..
flaming indeed
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eskimo

I distinctly remember telling people that stuff was cheaper over here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.