Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:22 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

Originally Posted by Rete

Sarnie? You mean sardines? YUCKY!!!!!!! I will send Jim to your house for that one. I don't like herring, sardines or anchovies.
No, he means sandwiches, but I sometimes put sardines in tomatoe sauce under my cheese on toast. Guess it must have something to do with all those fish paste sarnies I was given as a kid.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any hope in hell of finding a UK style cooker in the USA?

When we were looking at houses over here I looked at the oven and said to the realtor....'oh, it doesn't have a grill'; all I could see was the hotplate and a large oven door with a compartment below for storing pans.

She pointed to the gas barbeque outside on the patio and said...."that's where we do our grilling..."

It took a few moments to sink in after peering at the oven again that there was a 'broiler'; you had to open the main oven door to see it. Unfortunately you can't use an oven (eg. for roasting or baking) and grill/broiler at the same time - it's one or the other unless you have a seperate (double) oven for grilling/broiling.

Rete: UK = grilling = US = broiling

UK = barbequing = US = grilling

To the O/P: although our large oven has a broiler (waist level) we bought a little toaster oven which I use to make cheese on toast or just to put something in for lunch or a snack (for one or two people) where it would be uneconomical to switch on the large oven. You can get them for about $35-$40....Costco is a good place to go...see the thread about warranties LOL!

I've also given up on a toasted sandwich maker which we bought cheaply when we first moved here as you couldn't take the hotplates out and wash them seperately, so there would be loads of gunk oozing out of the sides of the sandwich and burning onto the nooks and crannies at the side - which is a nightmare to clean. We sadly had to get rid of our Tefal brand which removable plates when we moved to the States.

However, I was delighted to find one toasted sandwich maker a few weeks ago which is easy to clean and where you can take the plates out and wash them in the dishwasher; it was expensive, mind (but I bought it in 'Bed Bath and Beyond' with one of those 20% discount coupons they're forever mailing to our house). The brand is an "Emeril Professional" (that irritating TV chef) and you get another set of plates as well for mini-crepes called pizzietas or something but we will probably never use those!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

When I hear "fried" I think of placing something in a vat of hot grease/oil for say fried chicken, french fries, etc.
That would be deep fat frying...anything in a frying pan would be fried..or sautéed if you want to get gimpy

Sarnie would be sandwich...and stuff to put in them...hmmmmm....artichokes are nice, as it worchester sauce, tabasco, marmite...all kinds of goop
Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like herring, sardines or anchovies.
You'd be missing a treat, then.

Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'm absolutely green with envy at that store that y'all posted the link to!

The only thing we have down here is Famous Tate, and he's not got much!

I think a flight out there when I build my next house is on the cards!

I'd give my firstborn, maybe first two for one of those 'plumbed coffee systems'..
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

We bought a Viking similar to this one, for about $6k. Blows away anything I've ever used before. It's a professional kitchen model, and it's amazing.

http://www.vikingrange.com/cooking/vgsc48_zoom.html

It sure beats the hot plate back in Clerkenwell.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mick Travis
We bought a Viking similar to this one, for about $6k. Blows away anything I've ever used before. It's a professional kitchen model, and it's amazing.

http://www.vikingrange.com/cooking/vgsc48_zoom.html

It sure beats the hot plate back in Clerkenwell.

Wow, that is one hell of a cooker. Looks like you could stick wheels on it and take it for a drive!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pinKaboo
Wow, that is one hell of a cooker. Looks like you could stick wheels on it and take it for a drive!
To be fair, it was one of several options offerred on a new house we bought. We went for the top one because it's all just lumped in to the mortgage anyway. But yes, it cooks with great precision, and it looks like a BMW.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:11 pm
Owdhamer

Originally Posted by Mick Travis
We bought a Viking similar to this one, for about $6k.
You spent $6000 on a cooker??? The phrase, "More money than sense" comes to mind. And whether it is in your mortgage or not, it's still $6000 you are paying for a f'ing cooker.

Are you in the Forbes Richest 100 People list by any chance?

Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Owdhamer
You spent $6000 on a cooker??? The phrase, "More money than sense" comes to mind. And whether it is in your mortgage or not, it's still $6000 you are paying for a f'ing cooker.

Are you in the Forbes Richest 100 People list by any chance?
Far from it. But the 6 grand represented about .4% of the purchase price, and our down payment came from a house we sold that had appreciated 235%, and our new one has appreciated about 25%, so I figure it just doesn't matter.

Would I pay 6 grand for a cooker? No. But look at the numbers. They paid me.