Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any hints/tips for moving to USA?

Any hints/tips for moving to USA?

Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any hints/tips for moving to USA?

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Here's a starter

Is this a permanent move or just for a few years. Depending on your answer do you want to rent or buy somewhere to live. Do you have property in the UK, will you sell it or rent it out.
What can you afford in the US....google realtor.com and find out some property prices.
Google the places you like the sound of and check out the demographics.
Look at the schools in those areas...I know your children are small but they will go to nursery and kindergarten soon and you may not want the hassle of moving twice.

Where I live you cannot use the schools unless you live in the town and are registered to pay property tax.
Check out the cost of living in those areas.
Check out the climate...try the weather underground site.
I know you like 4 seasons but how much will it snow, how cold will it get.

Google really is your friend at first, then a good relocation agent (there are some).
Once I had narrowed stuff down I set up a cheap rate to the states with my then UK phone company and I called the schools, realtors , utilities, cable companies etc...anyone who could give me information.

All of this will be good practice for when you arrive because you will have to think on your feet then.

Thanks for all that. Most of it I've already looked at (I've been Googling like mad!!) such as climate, cost of living, etc, etc, and that's why we've decided New England is for us. We are only planning on spending 2 years over there at the moment (obviously it may be extended if necessary but we're hoping to come back to the UK after that) so we'll just rent and rent our house out here while we're gone.

But what I'm really after is advice from anyone that's done the move and any little things that they think might help i.e. things they wish they had thought of or been told to do? All the big stuff i.e. housing, schooling, etc, I can (hopefully!) figure out with the help of the wonderful www, but are there any little things that you wish you'd known before you moved?

Thanks all.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a process.
We moved a family of 5, a dog and a cat. At least your children are young. I had two teenagers and a 10 year old when we moved. Well I still have them but they are a bit older now.
We used Pets on the Move for our animals and they were excellent. They may not operate in your area but they might know someone who does...or ask your vet.
Try International Autosource for cars and AIG International for insurance.

Once you have narrowed things down, visit the places and look at property and schools. We came over for a week about 3 months before we moved and bought our house, set up bank accounts, visited the schools etc.
Thanks so much, that's really helpful. Glad to know you've managed it and are still sane! How long have you been in the US now?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:07 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Thanks so much, that's really helpful. Glad to know you've managed it and are still sane! How long have you been in the US now?
2 years but sane...theres a question.
Seriously the most stressful part was arriving because you are suddenly out of your comfort zone and you realise that the USA is a very foreign country.
After all the preparation we felt shattered when we arrived and in need of a good holiday but we had to hit the ground running.

If you can fit it into the container then bring it except for electrical goods. I know you can get transformers and if you have state of the art electronic stuff that might be worth bringing but general electrics...buy new here.

I'm just about to go and pick up my eldest from uni but if you want to know anything specific ask, either here or PM me.
Good Luck
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Really?!? Moving a family of four including two very young children, two cats, selling cars and buying new ones, renting our home, finding a new one, wrapping up my own company, finding schools, etc, etc - ARGHHHH!! Seems to me right now that the visa/immigration bit is the easy part but that's probably because I don't have much to do with it and hubby's company is sorting most of it for us! The rest of the stuff however is making my head spin!

Deja vu...
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

2 years but sane...theres a question.
Seriously the most stressful part was arriving because you are suddenly out of your comfort zone and you realise that the USA is a very foreign country.
After all the preparation we felt shattered when we arrived and in need of a good holiday but we had to hit the ground running.

If you can fit it into the container then bring it except for electrical goods. I know you can get transformers and if you have state of the art electronic stuff that might be worth bringing but general electrics...buy new here.

I'm just about to go and pick up my eldest from uni but if you want to know anything specific ask, either here or PM me.
Good Luck
Thanks very much, might well be pm'ing you with daft questions now!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Get an Amex card if you don't currently have one, they will then issue you a US one when you're here even though you have no credit history in the US.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Get an Amex card if you don't currently have one, they will then issue you a US one when you're here even though you have no credit history in the US.

Oooh, great tip, thanks so much for that. That's exactly the kind of thing I would never have thought of!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's been a couple of good threads recently about Boston and a thread about Maine that you could search up on for these areas of NE....but NE is pretty large, so a lot of it will probably depend on what sort of things your interested in and where you want to set up for work.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Where to begin. It does seem like a monster of an effort, especially if you haven't done this sort of thing before.

First, while I understand your husband is handling the visa, you might want to press him for the exact specifics. Is it an H1-B? Or an employer transfer, or what. The reason being is that once you know what kind of visa he will get, then folks can give you a better idea of exactly how long it will take to get those visas sorted. Two months-six, longer? When you have that information the folks on this board can help you with some estimates.

Second, when it comes on where to live, there is really a ton of data online you should go through. New England means quite a big area, and there are sorts of considerations from taxes to traffic. If you can narrow it down a bit more you'll be able to get into some specifics here:

http://www.realtor.com (houses for sale by zip code)
http://www.city-data.com/forums (discussion of nearly every city in the US)
http://www.greatschools.net/ (school information by zip code)

Third I'd go through the WIKI section of this message board and probably read every post on every subject, from schools to English sports in the UK. You'll find a wealth of 'routine questions' answered there. You might also want to pay attention to those sections on negotiating an expat package (I think it is in the emergency travel wiki) so your husband can get the best support possible.

Fourth, if you really want to just get packing, I'd recommend a paperwork pull first. You will need to get together:

* Childrens immunization records (VERY IMPORTANT)
* Childrens class transcripts, and possibly copy of curriculum guide (so US teachers can compare and see what is needed)
* Medical records for you.
* Bank and Financial information. Copies of documents you will need when in the US, such as addresses or any info needed to file your 'last' tax form in the UK next year.
* Identification documents, like a birth certifcate or passport copies.

Basically any piece of paper you might need over the next two years. Get it together, copy it, and put one in a briefcase to bring over.

But really, the key is the visa. I know you have it, but if you can figure out which one then you can figure out how long it will take and then you can start to put things into a calendar rather than jumble them all around in your head.

Good luck. The regulars on this board are here when you have questions.

p.s. I would also recommend reading this message board: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0 This is a messageboard for American expats living in the UK. Why should you read it? Because it will help you understand how little things that you take for granted can frustrate someone who is not used to that lifestyle, and how things that affect them (homesickness, apart from family) will also be issues you will have to deal with when you are over here.

p.p.s. I also strongly concur with the advice given--the US is a FOREIGN country for an expat from the UK. Plan for the trip as if you were planning a trip to China. Yea, as vast and as different as somewhere the other side of the planet. Just because they speak English here doesn't mean it is similar at all... The sooner you realize that the easier the move will become.

Last edited by penguinsix; Oct 26th 2007 at 6:53 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking to move to the US in 2008 and I've just started looking into it and everything I need to do - I seem to have a very long list! I'm slowly getting organised with things like renting the house here, shipping our stuff over, researching areas to live, getting the cats over there, etc, but wondered if any of you had any tips or hints of less obvious things that you might recommend? Perhaps something that you discovered whilst emigrating and wished someone had told you? I would appreciate it if you could pass on any words of wisdom to a thoroughly befuddled newbie!

Also, we're looking to move to somewhere in New England, partly so that we're close for friends and family to come and visit us and also because of the seasons there - I adore them and simply couldn't live somewhere that was sunny all year round. Does anybody have any areas they can recommend for young families (we have an 8 month old and a 3 year old to consider)?

Any advice appreciated! Thank you.
I'm in Portland Maine, and it's a great place to raise kids. Mine are 6, 4 and 2. Lots to do, beaches, skiing, hiking, sailing, a big enough city for me, reasonable cost of living (but ridiculous property taxes), 110 miles from Boston. Hot summers but long cold winters - I haven't done a winter yet...
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I'm in Portland Maine, and it's a great place to raise kids. Mine are 6, 4 and 2. Lots to do, beaches, skiing, hiking, sailing, a big enough city for me, reasonable cost of living (but ridiculous property taxes), 110 miles from Boston. Hot summers but long cold winters - I haven't done a winter yet...
Also...

Have your mail from the UK forwarded, so you can keep your UK address for a while. Give this address to your GP, dentist etc in the UK so you stay on their books.

Set up an account with someone like InterchangeFX for transferring money - do it while you're still in the UK and can prove your identity and address easily.

Schools work like this (where I live at least). If you live in the area, your kids go to that school. They don't get to go to out-of-area schools. So when you are thinking about where to live, get a real estate agent to show you around the areas with good schools, and remember they will cost more. (This may be different elsewhere.)

When you buy a house it's common to be represented by a real estate agent, not an attorney, but the seller pays your agent's fees.

Don't under-estimate how difficult having no credit rating can make your life. Be ready to put down deposits on everything - cellphone, dish TV, utilities...

Plan wayyyy ahead. I sent my husband to the US early May, and was left in the UK with three small children, a house to sell, and everything else to organise on my own, in two months. It can be done! I had two days a week of childcare during which I did all the stuff I had to do and recovered a bit.

Get some help from family for your last week in the UK, even if they just take your kids off your hands.

Can't think of any more for now...
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:53 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

You say you run your own business. Depending on your visa you may be able to work here, you may not.
If you can work you may want to look at areas which will suit both your jobs.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking of buying new cars in the US have a look at this company. International Autosource. They have an office in the UK and basically if they sell the vehicle you want you can order it before you leave and it is delivered to a dealer local to where you will be living.

I purchased a Jeep from them at 20% off the sticker price and well below the dealer invoice price. The dealer who delivered it and where I have it serviced was amazed at the deal I got and said the nearest he could have done was $3500 more than I paid.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Portlands pretty warm in the winter so your all set, plus they do a good job of ploughing the roads, only problem is the zoned parking which can be a mare to figure out....but that's less of a pig than in Boston
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:44 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Portlands pretty warm in the winter
Bob, is this entirely accurate?

Its already got down below freezing at night - not exactly balmy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.