Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any help would be appreciated :)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

whatittakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any help would be appreciated :)

Originally Posted by MMcD
Hi Alex
and if you've truly got "whatittakes".......
Here's a big little plan for you; it's based upon your own self-assessment and your stated goals - which I've summarized (above) by trimming your post down to its essence:

ICM, Wm. Morris, CAA .....these are but a few of the major talent agencies with branches both in England and in the States.
Why not immediately aim to work your way into a job at the London office of one of them?
If need be - start at the bottom of "the totem pole" ie: a job in the mail room - paying next to nothing - with the goal of eventually becoming a talent agent, in your own right - with your own clients......clients whom you will have discovered and brought to the agency in the first place.....clients who would be loyal to you (hopefully), valuable to the agency and who eventually - would be sought after for jobs in the States.
If you can - over time - pull this off (a big "IF?")- and if, over time you still harbour the same yearning to live/work in the entertainment field here in Hollywood - you'd be in a good position to request your Agency transfer you to their LA branch - where you could continue to represent the British actors, directors or even writers - signed to their London office.

And if - over time - you no longer continue to hanker to live here - you will still be the beneficiary of this plan: you'll have taken good advantage of both your professional training (as an actor) and your unique personal attributes (as a forceful, dynamic individual) and constructed a career which (hopefully) will be fulfilling and successful.

What do you think? Got "what it takes" ?
This is... Amazing. Thank you so much. Never thought of something like that but sounds perfect and a job I'd love be it here or there, so not even a second best if I didn't make it across the pond.
Thank you so much
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatittakes
This is... Amazing. Thank you so much. Never thought of something like that but sounds perfect and a job I'd love be it here or there, so not even a second best if I didn't make it across the pond.
Thank you so much
Go for it!
Frankly Alex, from what I glean from your post (which is A LOT more than you actually state in words) it sounds a perfect perch for you.
Best of luck!
And by the way - in your job quest - ....don't rule out trying to land a position at a really prestigious talent agency like Julian Belfrage Assoc. etc. Tho they may not have their own LA branch - they'll still be affiliated with a US entity - and that alone will expand your int'l. contacts and your reach......
PS: speaking of personal qualities - add FLEXIBILITY to your list - you're obviously open to new ideas - which is great.......
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:15 am
Just Joined

whatittakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MMcD
Go for it!
Frankly Alex, from what I glean from your post (which is A LOT more than you actually state in words) it sounds a perfect perch for you.
Best of luck!
And by the way - in your job quest - ....don't rule out trying to land a position at a really prestigious talent agency like Julian Belfrage Assoc. etc. Tho they may not have their own LA branch - they'll still be affiliated with a US entity - and that alone will expand your int'l. contacts and your reach......
PS: speaking of personal qualities - add FLEXIBILITY to your list - you're obviously open to new ideas - which is great.......
Thank you so much. I will definitely get on to researching that
And yes, I don't know why I didn't write flexibility in the first place haha... My manager at my current international office calls me 'the on call kid' since I'm always a prepared to be somewhere Last minute haha.
Thank you again