Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any glasses wearers use Lenscrafters?

Any glasses wearers use Lenscrafters?

Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any glasses wearers use Lenscrafters?

I'm in the need for some new specs and was thinking of going to Lenscrafters. I checked out their website, but they dont have any prices for either the lenses or frames. Anybody used them? are they pricey?
Old Nov 17th 2003, 3:23 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any glasses wearers use Lenscrafters?

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I'm in the need for some new specs and was thinking of going to Lenscrafters. I checked out their website, but they dont have any prices for either the lenses or frames. Anybody used them? are they pricey?

at the mo they have a half price lens sale on, normally the frames are somewhere around $100 and up and the frames (for single vision) are around $100 so your looking at approx $200, if the half price sale is on your looking at $150

Patrick
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I just got some new glasses last week.

I went to a Lenscrafters store nearby but they didn't have any frames I liked (the styles now tend to be very shallow, rectangular like and also frameless, i.e. only the arms grip to the lenses).

They have their own system for grading the width of people's faces too. No other (chain) store that sells glasses sells them that way.

I had my eyetest at the optometrist next door. That cost $120.00 (basic eye exam was $89.00)! It wasn't that much different to the last eye test I had except for one part of the test. That last UK test cost L20.00. Don't understand the justification for the eye test being so much more expensive here (the equipment looked no more sophisticated than the place I last had my eyes tested in the UK).

NC Penguin
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Holly moly! $120 for an eye exam!. Geez.

I have the frameless glasses now, but I want to go back to proper rims. Thanks for all the info.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:33 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I got my eyes tested in the local Walmart opticians , and I think it cost about $40.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:39 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I just got some new glasses last week.

I went to a Lenscrafters store nearby but they didn't have any frames I liked (the styles now tend to be very shallow, rectangular like and also frameless, i.e. only the arms grip to the lenses).

They have their own system for grading the width of people's faces too. No other (chain) store that sells glasses sells them that way.

I had my eyetest at the optometrist next door. That cost $120.00 (basic eye exam was $89.00)! It wasn't that much different to the last eye test I had except for one part of the test. That last UK test cost L20.00. Don't understand the justification for the eye test being so much more expensive here (the equipment looked no more sophisticated than the place I last had my eyes tested in the UK).

NC Penguin
Ouch! I got my eyes tested next door to Lenscrafters and it cost me $52. I then got new lenses put into my UK purchased frames and a pair of Prescription Ray Ban sunglasses for driving. Total cost of glasses $357. Lenses are around $90 even with the half price discount.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:57 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in April my wife had her eyes tested in walmart and had some new glasses it took 2 days she had designer one and it all cost $250
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:50 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious.... and nothing to do with glasses....is your smiley throwing up a chicken?

Maggie

Originally posted by dudleydowg
Back in April my wife had her eyes tested in walmart and had some new glasses it took 2 days she had designer one and it all cost $250
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dudleydowg
Looks like I will be buying glasses on my trips to the U.K
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:34 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Maggs
Just curious.... and nothing to do with glasses....is your smiley throwing up a chicken?

Maggie
I was wondering about Dudleydowg's smiley too...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:41 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

I got it from emotipad.com there are loads of funny smilies
Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

All these 'one hour opticals' match one's prescription to what they have in stock...getting anyone to help you is another matter! One pays for what one gets. Does bait and switch come to mind..or our phrase back home of ' A sprat to catch a Mackerel' ? Keep this in mind; whenever a product is heavliy advertised, those costs are paid by the comsumer..you and I !

Research (takes time) well worth it in the end though. Never go with the path of least resistance. Not sure what health plans you lot have, many though, include the cost of an eye exam after co- payment.