Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any experience of immunisation requirements for moving to California?

Any experience of immunisation requirements for moving to California?

Old Aug 9th 2023, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Bellybratz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any experience of immunisation requirements for moving to California?

My husband and I (aged 42 and 43) and two kids (aged 8 and 10) are due to move to California mid/end October. My questions are as follows:

Neither child has had their Hepatitis B jabs as they only brought them in in the UK after they were born. In the UK you need 3 jabs over a course of 6 months. What does this mean for enrolling them in school in the US? Should we start the jabs now (we could probably do 2 of the 3) and finish them there or do them all there? Will it delay when they can start school?

Do my husband and I need any to move to the US? The last jabs we had aside from Covid and flu jabs were as teenagers!
Old Aug 9th 2023, 5:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience of immunisation requirements for moving to California?

Originally Posted by Bellybratz
My husband and I (aged 42 and 43) and two kids (aged 8 and 10) are due to move to California mid/end October. My questions are as follows:

Neither child has had their Hepatitis B jabs as they only brought them in in the UK after they were born. In the UK you need 3 jabs over a course of 6 months. What does this mean for enrolling them in school in the US? Should we start the jabs now (we could probably do 2 of the 3) and finish them there or do them all there? Will it delay when they can start school?

Do my husband and I need any to move to the US? The last jabs we had aside from Covid and flu jabs were as teenagers!
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...forschool.aspx
Old Aug 9th 2023, 6:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience of immunisation requirements for moving to California?

Originally Posted by Bellybratz

Can’t help on the kids, except to say that we have to provide an annual medical form from their doctor to the school to show they are up-to-date, as an adult moving on an L1a I did not need any shots (there is not usually a medical for temp visas), but once I went to get my GC/LPR it was required to get the shots I was missing / could not provide adequate proof of in english as part of my green card medical.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When hubby and I moved to California we obtained a letter from our GP stating what jabs we had had as UK citizens. He had not been our GP back in our childhood/teens so we told him we had had all the usual jabs UK kids get.
Can't remember whether or not we had to produce this at any time though......
Old Aug 10th 2023, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Super thanks everyone
Old Aug 14th 2023, 10:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most schools allow you to enter once you start the Hep B protocol.

Here is the full list:
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...on/IMM-231.pdf

Note: chicken pox (varicella) is on the list. If your kids haven't had the shot but have had the chicken pox you can often send a note in place of that.
Old Aug 15th 2023, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Most schools allow you to enter once you start the Hep B protocol.

Here is the full list:
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...on/IMM-231.pdf

Note: chicken pox (varicella) is on the list. If your kids haven't had the shot but have had the chicken pox you can often send a note in place of that.
Thank you. I have a photo of my son with chicken pox spots so hoping that is enough?!
Old Aug 15th 2023, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

DerekB1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can get Hep B jabs spread over 3 months, that's what I'm currently doing and due my third one next week