Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any English Sparky's out there

Any English Sparky's out there

Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice
Default Any English Sparky's out there

I'm looking for help as to how obtain to electricians licence in the usa? Has anybody made the leap?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:45 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any English Sparky's out there

Originally Posted by colin2496
I'm looking for help as to how obtain to electricians licence in the usa? Has anybody made the leap?
Hit the 'search' in the USA forum.. There have been some threads on this in the last six months. Sorry I don't have much direct knowledge but there are a few here who can help.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

google the state requirements will tell you what you need to know...
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

i've done that and in PA there's no requirements there is no licence there! I Just think you can beat first hand knowledge?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

i've done that and in PA there's no requirements there is no licence there! I Just think you can beat first hand knowledge?
Umm... http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/lib...on_booklet.pdf that would beg to differ, though you might be able to use your experience to knock off the needed tests to get certifide...
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Any English Sparky's out there

It can vary from state to state and city to city. In most cases you have to obtain your license from the local authority by taking an exam. However, this can be waived if you have taken your apprenticeship by working with a journeyman, and passing that test. If you work for a contractor, the principal will probably carry the license, and he verifies that you are competent. Again this can vary from state to state. Check the web site of the area where you will be working. A lot of contractors are union, and they hire out of the local
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There is no state Licence ..but are local ones
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

the only state that recognizes foreign quals is Colorado and even then to be eligible to take the test you have to prove 2 yrs work experience in the US. It's very different. I also replied to your other thread.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

just out of interest what part of the usa are you in? I am planning to move with my USC wife to her family home about a half hr north of DC and wages there seem to be the same as home. I'm on the isle of wight where the going wage is about £20 ph if you run ya own business and £15 sub contract.

good luck with the move back
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a guy who was licensed in Alaska and CA. Here he does the odd job but on the basis that the Homeowner pulls the permit.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

The wire system here has me beat

I could do virually anything with household elecrics back home, but here ? I seem to find all wires are the same f**kin colour and behind even the simpest ceiling rose there are lots of them

You can't even buy the simplest life saver known to man ..... A neon tester
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ET25-Voltage-Tes...1%7C240%3A1318
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

You can't even buy the simplest life saver known to man ..... A neon tester [/QUOTE]
I got mine from an electric supply house.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:47 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
The wire system here has me beat

I could do virually anything with household elecrics back home, but here ? I seem to find all wires are the same f**kin colour and behind even the simpest ceiling rose there are lots of them

I bought mine at a hardware store. Is your house older? All the homes I've owned have had colored wires, but the oldest one I've owned is 50 years old and much of the wiring has been updated. On the other hand, I've installed special-order lights that have had all one color wiring where one was ridge and the other wasn't.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dog called Sparky and he's English

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.