British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any Brits living in Vacaville, Fairfield or Davis? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-brits-living-vacaville-fairfield-davis-588543/)

IngaC Feb 1st 2009 6:57 pm

Any Brits living in Vacaville, Fairfield or Davis?

Hi everyone

Just wondering if there are (m)any Brits living here in Vacaville or its environs?

I've been here over three years and am not finding the natives very friendly; had no problems meeting people when I was living in Belize..

meauxna Feb 4th 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Any Brits living in Vacaville, Fairfield or Davis?

BZ is a tropical paradise where everyone is happy all the time.
Vacaville is... well, where we used to stop for lunch & ride the little train when we were blasting past on the way to the City.
:)

How long were you in Belize?

IngaC Feb 5th 2009 4:24 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7248892)
BZ is a tropical paradise where everyone is happy all the time.
Vacaville is... well, where we used to stop for lunch & ride the little train when we were blasting past on the way to the City.
:)

How long were you in Belize?

thanks for answering; I was in Belize for 2.5 years before I started to come over here; still have my apartment in AC.. apart from being with my wonderful husband, wish I were still there.. mind you, paradise has its less than perfect moments, but nevertheless... I think you know what I mean..

which little train do you mean...?

meauxna Feb 5th 2009 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by IngaC (Post 7250611)
thanks for answering; I was in Belize for 2.5 years before I started to come over here; still have my apartment in AC.. apart from being with my wonderful husband, wish I were still there.. mind you, paradise has its less than perfect moments, but nevertheless... I think you know what I mean..

which little train do you mean...?

Do you know, I have blanked out on the names of the three big restaurants located there.. all named after nuts... It was a big treat for us as kiddies to stop there, they'd have a big gift shop with all kinds of sweeties (we always used to buy these giant gobstoppers), it's a family style diner right on the freeway there.. in their back lot they had a picnic area and the little train that ran around their lot. If we'd been good & there was time, we got to ride. :)

OK, I just had to go find out; several reviews say it is very different from when we were kids: http://www.nuttreeusa.com/
And sonofa... there is a notice on their site that says they've closed indefinitely effective Jan 13. What a shame...

I know completely what you mean about Paradise.. before we came to the States we were on a Greek island and I noticed some parallels with living in Belize. Different bugs, different day! lol But partly just the vibe of living in a tourist area.. the people you run into are all on holiday and having a grand time, no cares etc.. the transition back into reality here was jarring both times.
I was in Belize in .. oh, 92--> for a couple of years, really only settled for about 8 months. And, in the small world department, I grew up in the valley just north from you. Separated at birth! :eek:

Look up PoppyGirl; she is through your neck of the woods all the time. In fact they have a Sacto group meet up every now and again.

Chrissywissy100 Feb 5th 2009 5:35 pm

There's loads of a little further south of you in the East Bay, and SF (obviously!) I'm in Pleasant Hill / Concord / Walnut Creek area. Welcome to BE!

bromleygirl Feb 5th 2009 7:08 pm

Hi there,

I'm not there yet but I shall be moving to Vacaville/Davis at the end of June this year. I was out there last summer for a reccie and the area seemed nice enough and close to both SF and Sacramento. What brought you to Vacaville and are you working there?

scotch03 Feb 6th 2009 3:15 am

I'm in Vallejo and Fairfield every day! Sometimes VV too!

IngaC Feb 6th 2009 5:25 am

thank you all for responding.. being somewhat of a luddite, I'm not up to speed on how to move things on; do I write to you individually - or what...?

Any suggestions gratefully received..

Inga

meauxna Feb 6th 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by IngaC (Post 7255259)
thank you all for responding.. being somewhat of a luddite, I'm not up to speed on how to move things on; do I write to you individually - or what...?

Inga

Would you like to spearhead a get together? I think people just normally start a thread (see the other subject lines in this forum).

If you don't want to post something in the forum, you can send Private Messages to individuals by clicking underneath their name (a pull down menu appears). You can also email most people through that function.

If you go to the USA forum here (up one level, this is Meet-ups) you'll see a pinned link at the top of the list that says frapr map.. you may find other members in your area that way.

Or, just start a conversation or join one in progress in one of the USA forums and chit chat. :)

bromleygirl Feb 6th 2009 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by IngaC (Post 7255259)

Inga

I'll send you a PM:)

scotch03 Feb 6th 2009 11:50 pm

How about all meeting for a breakfast? Makes a change from beer blah

IngaC Feb 8th 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7252824)
Do you know, I have blanked out on the names of the three big restaurants located there.. all named after nuts... It was a big treat for us as kiddies to stop there, they'd have a big gift shop with all kinds of sweeties (we always used to buy these giant gobstoppers), it's a family style diner right on the freeway there.. in their back lot they had a picnic area and the little train that ran around their lot. If we'd been good & there was time, we got to ride. :)

OK, I just had to go find out; several reviews say it is very different from when we were kids: http://www.nuttreeusa.com/
And sonofa... there is a notice on their site that says they've closed indefinitely effective Jan 13. What a shame...

I know completely what you mean about Paradise.. before we came to the States we were on a Greek island and I noticed some parallels with living in Belize. Different bugs, different day! lol But partly just the vibe of living in a tourist area.. the people you run into are all on holiday and having a grand time, no cares etc.. the transition back into reality here was jarring both times.
I was in Belize in .. oh, 92--> for a couple of years, really only settled for about 8 months. And, in the small world department, I grew up in the valley just north from you. Separated at birth! :eek:

Look up PoppyGirl; she is through your neck of the woods all the time. In fact they have a Sacto group meet up every now and again.

thank you for all your suggestions; greatly appreciated.. I'm sure life will get easier once I'm mobile; just waiting for my husband to fix the car.. :)

IngaC Feb 8th 2009 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 7258581)
How about all meeting for a breakfast? Makes a change from beer blah

great idea; do you know anywhere half-way decent round here for breakfast??

scotch03 Feb 9th 2009 3:26 am

Originally Posted by IngaC (Post 7264634)
great idea; do you know anywhere half-way decent round here for breakfast??

In Suisun there is a decent place called Joy of Eating and Mimi's in Fairfield is also not too bad.

notacrime Feb 10th 2009 5:26 pm

Expat outing to the Jelly Belly factory!