Reload this Page >

Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

Wikiposts

Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

Old May 16th 2010, 4:00 am
Just Joined

DamienAustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

Have you guys tried Tinos yet? It is as near to a kebab as we are going to get.

Just wanting to pass on the info!

Also, there is a great place called the Lion and the Rose. Does great food. They also so American food too, but with British names. For example the Hackney Hot Wings. I'm not sure that is what Hackney is famous for...

Also if you get the chance to go to the Cheesecake factory. They do a great Shephards Pie.

Will be nice to see some new faces at Fados for the game. I'll be the one wearing the England shirt. haha
Old May 16th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

oli4uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently the shepherds pie is more like cottage, pie, either way I'm not complaining!
Old May 16th 2010, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Location: Born in Manchester,England. Moved to New Orleans 2001. Left in 2005 (Katrina) settled in Austin,TX
lilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nicelilywhitewolf is just really nice

Have not been to the Lion and Rose yet but want to!
Hackney Hot wings eh? Great stuff!
Went to the Dog anf Duck and ordered 2 pints of Bass (not for me mind you!)
$9. Wow s'not like it was 2 pints of the Black Stuff!!
Old May 16th 2010, 7:21 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oli4uk
I might have to check it out, I also want to visit the Gingerman too!

A quick thread hijack, has any other Brit noticed how many Americans love Sam Smiths beer, which in England is considered 'Cheap Shod'

I mean you can still get a sam smiths bitter for £1.30, and most of their other drinks are less than £2.

I was shocked when I saw them selling it here for near $5 a pint, I might suggest that the local pubs ship over some of the York Breweries fine fare!
Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Mmmmm.....
Old May 18th 2010, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

DamienAustin is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to even mention Boomerangs... hmmmmm
Old May 18th 2010, 4:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oli4uk
I have just moved to Austin (Terrytown - Mopac/Enfield).

Can I move it with you - I love Tarrytown. Would shorten my commute.

(I'm American - there's actually quite a big Brit expat scene on meetup.com)

Today I saw a service van with "BritGolf" on it (said it was located in Lakeway,
which is west of Austin).

http://www.britgolf.com/
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

supra92 is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is indeed moving rather slowly, but regularly along. While I was born in upstate New York, my family traces back in full to Britain and I hope it doesn't sound daft to say that I've always identified with the British than as an American. Have lived in Round Rock, TX (10 miles north of Austin or so, essentially a 'suburb' of it) for some 8 years now -- thought people might be interested to know that a relatively-new British coffeehouse/delicacies store opened up just blocks from my house, right on Main Street in the little historic downtown area. The place is called Friar Tuck's Pantry, and while the prices are a bit dear (being imported and all) I rely on it for my Branston Pickle amongst other things. Certainly recommended for any/all expats in the area, and it's tough to miss with the Union Flag flying from the outside.

For those interested in moving to Texas I can advise that the summers here are really quite hot -- one would want to ensure a relative tolerance to such levels prior to making any sort of permanent or even semi-permanent move. From late May through early October the highs are routinely in the mid-90s to low-100s, especially in the past few years.

With the very heavy Tex-Mex/hispanic culture here, I still at times feel a bit the fish-out-of-water, having been born/raised in New England. Back when I lived in North Carolina, there was a fabulous pub in Cary called The Fox & Hound, which remains to this day my favourite place to eat -- sadly it has been closed as of 2004. I've yet to find any suitable equivalent here in Austin, particularly a place that can make some basic, solid cornish pasties.

I would certainly enjoy meeting up with any expats in the area, and of course would be happy to answer any/all questions anyone might have about Austin/Round Rock, TX area.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

Just got back from a 5-week stay in Kent and I can honestly say that heat is more of a problem there than it is here (assuming you have AC). OK it's cold most of the year but whenever the temperature does stray into the 70s it becomes unbearable at night. And train journeys are dreadful, especially in rush hour when it is packed.

So many people ask how I cope with the 100+ temperatures down here but I absolutely love it. Shorts & t-shirts at midnight, what could be better? Just use common sense and don't go for a jog at 2pm
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:57 am
Just Joined

britishbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lilywhitewolf
Hi there!!!
I am originally from Manchester,UK. I now live in Austin TX after leaving New Orleans in 2005, yup evacuee.
Really missing home
Do you remember fruit salads,black jacks,Tizwoz, the Flumps, Grange Hill, John Carvens Newsround and The Really Wild Show? Miss crumpets,decent cups of tea, bacon sarnies and yorkshire pud?
Looking for any Brits in Austin that like to drink a few pints,watch TV,go to the movies and walk dogs!
Anyone out there?
Bye for now!!
Well glad to see there are some brits close - I live in San Antonio and posted a thread on here with no replies - I have sons living in Austin would love to meet up with some brits for a good chat whenever I come in
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:34 am
Just Joined

britishbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bestbrit55
this thread may be a little outdated but I do have some relevant info for it if anyone is still interested. My parents live in Round Rock TX, just north of Austin and are part of a fairly extensive network of ex-pats in the Round rock/Austin area. They love meeting up with new folks and help them get acquainted to the Austin area
Do you know of any expats network in san antonio tx - looking to connect with some brits in this area although I have sons in austin so I do visit there from time to time.

Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

TheTokenBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all! Just moved to Austin from Wales a couple of weeks ago, Originally from England, About to get married here. Just nice to know there are some Brits here to connect with!

My Wife-to-be is just about to take me to Friar Tuck's Pantry. We went to Sherlock's Pub & Grill for lunch on Friday. It was alright but since it's a chain in Texas it seems more just a gimmicky place to me. The food was excellent though!

Wondering if there was any decent curry houses here? and any good Bakeries that sell sausage rolls and the like?

Oh! and where can you get proper back bacon?

Thanks!

Dominic
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a few people posted on here from Austin, but not sure if they are still around. I'm down west of Houston, but get up to Austin to visit relatives quite a bit. Nice town - plenty of options for evening entertainment, eating out etc. Tried the Clay pit a couple of years ago - was reasonable. Also the Bombay Brasserie was decent from what I remember.

Last time up they took us to a new place - it was sort of a design your own fast food curry sort of place...choose the meat, choose the sauce, choose the heat sort of thing. It was a lot better than it sounds....but I can't remember the name....something like Tarka's Place...ask around and someone may know it.

Sorry - can't help on the bakeries, bacon etc, but sure you'll be able to track something decent down...
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

TheTokenBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

Yes we got to Friar Tuck's Pantry yesterday at around quarter to 5 and it was closed. Considering they're supposed to close at 5, we were a little bit annoyed. But not to worry.

Yes we'll try the Bombay Brasserie and the other place. It sounds like the Mongolian Grill but that's Mongolian food. I'll google it and see what i come up with!

Thanks for the suggestions again!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

oli4uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheTokenBrit
Hello all! Just moved to Austin from Wales a couple of weeks ago, Originally from England, About to get married here. Just nice to know there are some Brits here to connect with!

My Wife-to-be is just about to take me to Friar Tuck's Pantry. We went to Sherlock's Pub & Grill for lunch on Friday. It was alright but since it's a chain in Texas it seems more just a gimmicky place to me. The food was excellent though!

Wondering if there was any decent curry houses here? and any good Bakeries that sell sausage rolls and the like?

Oh! and where can you get proper back bacon?

Thanks!

Dominic
For an indian you might want to check out g'raj mahal!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheTokenBrit
Thanks!

Yes we got to Friar Tuck's Pantry yesterday at around quarter to 5 and it was closed. Considering they're supposed to close at 5, we were a little bit annoyed. But not to worry.

Yes we'll try the Bombay Brasserie and the other place. It sounds like the Mongolian Grill but that's Mongolian food. I'll google it and see what i come up with!

Thanks for the suggestions again!
http://www.fullenglishfood.com/

I have heard the breakfast here is great. Not tried it yet back next time we head Austin way it is going to be a stop off point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.