Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:49 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

I just may try that cafe tomorrow, C, if I am up to driving there - it's far from
the major freeways but in an okayish neighbourhood and I am relieved it's not up north as most other things are!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

IcedGem is an unknown quantity at this point

Full English is pretty decent. They're relatively new (been in the farmers markets for a while but only opened the cafe last month).

They're a little expensive quantity wise, but they make their own bangers and order in the back bacon so that pushes the cost up. They get the bread from a local bakery too.

Both the owners are lovely charming people and I strongly encourage anyone I know to visit them as I'd like to see them succeed
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IcedGem
Full English is pretty decent. They're relatively new (been in the farmers markets for a while but only opened the cafe last month).

They're a little expensive quantity wise, but they make their own bangers and order in the back bacon so that pushes the cost up. They get the bread from a local bakery too.

Both the owners are lovely charming people and I strongly encourage anyone I know to visit them as I'd like to see them succeed
Ohh, so that's 2 good reviews I've heardHopefully we'll make a trip in that direction in the next few weeks.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:38 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IcedGem

Absolutely. I did go there last weekend - and could've nattered for hours with the American husband (who's very, very knowledgeable about the UK and Europe). I can't judge the food very much cos I had coffee and toast (yeah, yeah) but the bread was "proper" lol and the coffee very good.

It's very hard to find unless you really know the street it's on and the fact that it is BEHIND a convenience store. I'm going to try to go again soon - I want a cheese and onion pasty!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Tamug1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm trying to start a new young chapter of the Daughters of the British Empire in the N. Austin/Round Rock area. Ideally I'm looking for women in their 40s or under. There are 2 chapters currently with an older membership - one averaging women in their 50s and the other averaging 65. If you are in that age group I can happily make introductions for those that are interested. Check out the website: dbetexas.org and reply to me if you are interested or have any questions.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:39 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Tamug1998
Hi,
I'm trying to start a new young chapter of the Daughters of the British Empire in the N. Austin/Round Rock area. Ideally I'm looking for women in their 40s or under. There are 2 chapters currently with an older membership - one averaging women in their 50s and the other averaging 65. If you are in that age group I can happily make introductions for those that are interested. Check out the website: dbetexas.org and reply to me if you are interested or have any questions.
I'd love to join! I live in South Austin so would prefer North Austin over RR but I do have my pedigree papers in order.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Snowbunny - that is great! I'm leaning toward meeting on a Monday night in N. Austin. Probably starting in mid-Jan. If you could send me your e-mail addy in a private message I'm planning to send out an Evite for the first meeting. I'll be sure to include you! Also, if you don't mind, tell me a bit more about yourself.

I'm a Mom of 2 - stay at home - and am trying to create a more family focused DBE group. I think it has the potential to be a LOT of fun!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

In reply to TheTokenBrit:

you are unlikely to find what you would consider "real back bacon" in Texas but you might find something approaching bacon in the freezer section at Fiesta. Fiesta stocks other goodies like Heinz baked beans (the price hasn't risen much in the last 15 years and was at $1.29 a can last time I shopped), Branston pickle, tomato soup, orange squash, marmalade and so on.

Sausage rolls you'll have to make yourself but do try a kolache, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Phoenicia bakery on Burnet Rd. carries back bacon. It's expensive - $8 or so for 1/2 pound but its really nice for a treat. They also have bangers, pork pies and various other frozen goods. All are made in the States, but my husband says they are the same as home (London) for him.

http://www.phoeniciabakery.com/
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:53 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamug1998
Phoenicia bakery on Burnet Rd. carries back bacon. It's expensive - $8 or so for 1/2 pound but its really nice for a treat. They also have bangers, pork pies and various other frozen goods. All are made in the States, but my husband says they are the same as home (London) for him.

http://www.phoeniciabakery.com/
Be careful with sell-by dates on stuff you buy there.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That goes for just about any of the supermarkets round here....
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Hi All,

I am trying to start a new chapter of the Daughters of the British Empire in N. Austin. Check out www.DBEnational.org for more info on the organization. I am having an organizational meeting on Jan. 11th. If you are interested please send me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the Evite.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

britishbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread but thought I'd give it a try.... I live in San Antonio but my sons go to UT so I come to Austin often is there any kind of group meet up in Austin would love some good conversation....

Originally Posted by frapple_hok
Hi folks,

My wife and I recently moved to Austin (S. Congress), I see this thread hasn't been updated for a while but we'd love to go to a meetup. Anyone interested?

Andy
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

britishbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any Brits IN AUSTIN, TX?

Hello

I was wondering if you ever got to start the younger Daughters of the British Empire I went to one in Austin few years ago and yes they were all alot older than me I am 47 right now and live in San Antonio. I have wished that someone would set this up I can drive to Austin as I come there alot, my sons go to UT there. I would happily help with this should you still be interested in doing this or you might have already something in the works.

QUOTE=Tamug1998;9021603]Snowbunny - that is great! I'm leaning toward meeting on a Monday night in N. Austin. Probably starting in mid-Jan. If you could send me your e-mail addy in a private message I'm planning to send out an Evite for the first meeting. I'll be sure to include you! Also, if you don't mind, tell me a bit more about yourself.

I'm a Mom of 2 - stay at home - and am trying to create a more family focused DBE group. I think it has the potential to be a LOT of fun![/QUOTE]
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

DamienAustin is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe this thread might be dead, but if anyone reads this, I would advice staying away from Full English Cafe. Their reviews on Yelp should tell all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.