Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anti-British Sentiment

Anti-British Sentiment

Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:49 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-British Sentiment

Originally Posted by Tracym
Not sure how we got into the war, I certainly wasn't talking about it.
No we weren't....but I think what Elvira was saying is that Britain joined the war along side us .... a very unpopular and costly war.... and that Americans give so little credit to the British for taking this step. Their troops are dying too.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:01 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are some things some Americans might "dislike" about the British - but what I've heard is usually more modern - noone cares about the war anymore (in my experience) - after all - we won.
What war are you talking about?

Last edited by DollyLlama; Apr 1st 2007 at 3:34 am.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:44 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deedee13
my dad was in the army and so i think i still have vivid memories of the funerals, bloody sunday etc. I remember our next door neighbour got blown up in a bar and when they came to knock on her door and tell the wife... It was awful.

My dads fingers torn to threads because of the razor blades in their shirt collars.

I always listen to a record from harvey andrews, cant remember the title, but the first line went "in a station in the city a british soldier stood, talking to the people there if the people would." fantastic song.

Whats more sad is my grandfather was irish. Seems really bizarre.
Thats ghastly.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:07 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds bizarre - I am the USC and I've never met one of those - thankfully.

I HAVE however, met quite a few fake Irishmen. Including the one who's Scottish when he isn't Irish. Actually has an English last name, but that hasn't slowed him down any.

I think there are some things some Americans might "dislike" about the British - but what I've heard is usually more modern - noone cares about the war anymore (in my experience) - after all - we won.

And true - England is a long ways away from here, as is the rest of Europe. I have to admit - it doesn't even impact me very closely - Europe/UK is
So us Septics (lol what a terrific term, too funny) are quite a bit detached from the UK and the rest of Europe - we're busy worrying about illegal mexicans and taxes and such. We are quite a bit more insular as a country - I wonder just how much the distance makes that difference - most people I know have never been to Europe, where from the UK it's an easy hop for summer vacation.
I am a USC/UKC (BBC,KGB,VD, etc) and I have noted sadly, that becoming a USC simply does not allow you the freedom to criticise America or anything American due to the fact that you are still clearly foreign...... ......find this disturbing frankly. I have lived with y'all for many years now and perceive that Americans are, in fact, very insecure of their identity underneath all the patriotism. That said, there seems to be another more positive side to Americans.......they have a definite thirst to define themselves but in a slightly naive and uninformed manner.......they reach for identities such as Italian-American, Polish-American and embrace the habits of "ze olde coontry" as quaint and endearing.......as if seen through a Hollywood lens(e).
Rarely do you find an example of a "foreign" Euro-culture in the US as undiluted and accurate as you will that of the Mexicans or Puerto-Ricans......hmmmm. Perhaps if the Brits were more a bit more "communual" as a people.......(yeah, right!)......our prescence here would be more obvious and Americans would have a much clearer picture of what our culture is really like.
Can you imagine seeing an "Englandtown" like you see "Chinatowns" in big cities here? Now that would be surreal........

Last edited by Lycanthrop; Apr 1st 2007 at 11:09 am.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
What war are you talking about?
Oops sorry - I meant the revolutionary war. That we wouldn't be holding that against England anymore.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Oops sorry - I meant the revolutionary war. That we wouldn't be holding that against England anymore.
I brought that up because OP is school age & it's something discussed in school over and over and over from early elementary up. I understand absolutely that it's part of history and is to be taught & learned but it's covered over & over, year after year. Is there anything else to learn about?

I can't count the number of times someone has said to me "The British are coming, the British are coming!" haha funny. And more recently, my kids being upset because they are hassled at having an English mom because we were "evil".

I did also make the point that most people grow out of all that, but I understand the feelings that the OP has being in school and going over it all.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
I brought that up because OP is school age & it's something discussed in school over and over and over from early elementary up. I understand absolutely that it's part of history and is to be taught & learned but it's covered over & over, year after year. Is there anything else to learn about?

I can't count the number of times someone has said to me "The British are coming, the British are coming!" haha funny. And more recently, my kids being upset because they are hassled at having an English mom because we were "evil".

I did also make the point that most people grow out of all that, but I understand the feelings that the OP has being in school and going over it all.
Ugh kids are mean little critters.

I never had any uproar in school over the evil British, but we didn't have a handy Brit kid to pick on.

I think kids will pick on anything different, and sure, it's hard and of course I sympathise with the OP.

I was more commenting on adults, when I said we were over the war, not schoolkids.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh kids are mean little critters.

I never had any uproar in school over the evil British, but we didn't have a handy Brit kid to pick on.

I think kids will pick on anything different, and sure, it's hard and of course I sympathise with the OP.

I was more commenting on adults, when I said we were over the war, not schoolkids.
yeah, I hear you. I'd like to think most adults feel that way. Still feels a bit awkward on July 4th though LOL
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

...Still feels a bit awkward on July 4th though LOL
I generally smile broadly and announce that I represent the losing side!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There's a business here in Austin:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fiykWcY8wcYRaAQ3P9GDsA

If you can't beat 'em, unclog them!

There was absolutely no Brit-bashing during our brief classroom romps through the Revolutionary War. Of course, the Alamo was a far more important event, and Santa Anna got all the blame for that one, too -- not the Mexican people.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There's a business here in Austin:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fiykWcY8wcYRaAQ3P9GDsA

If you can't beat 'em, unclog them!

There was absolutely no Brit-bashing during our brief classroom romps through the Revolutionary War. Of course, the Alamo was a far more important event, and Santa Anna got all the blame for that one, too -- not the Mexican people.
When someone calls to me "The British are coming!" or makes a "joke" about lighting one for land, I do calmly tell them we are taking over again one household at a time, quietly and unnoticed we will rule again
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:45 pm
Lapine Member

When someone calls to me "The British are coming!" or makes a "joke" about lighting one for land, I do calmly tell them we are taking over again one household at a time, quietly and unnoticed we will rule again
Tell them the Teletubbies are brainwashing their young.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I generally smile broadly and announce that I represent the losing side!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. splutter splutter....................

i dont know why u feel awkward on july 4th. give half of them a map and they wouldnt know where england was if it was staring them in the face. Someone asked once how long it takes to drive to Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

[QUOTE=Deedee13;4589092]grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. splutter splutter....................

i dont know why u feel awkward on july 4th. give half of them a map and they wouldnt know where england was if it was staring them in the face. Someone asked once how long it takes to drive to Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Well, it is possible......
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deedee13
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. splutter splutter....................

i dont know why u feel awkward on july 4th. give half of them a map and they wouldnt know where england was if it was staring them in the face. Someone asked once how long it takes to drive to Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Keith loves the 4th of July - he gets a great grilled hamburger and some kind of fancy dessert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.