Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another way for United to 'nickel & dime' you.

Wikiposts

Another way for United to 'nickel & dime' you.

Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:43 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another way for United to 'nickel & dime' you.

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you do three trips a year to the UK that is six paid flights at least. Assuming you come back each time, and don't have to change planes in the US like I do.
I read it to mean 4 return trips.

I guess on re-reading it, your interpretation is probably correct. Still, I'm done with them. Which is a shame as I've used Continental exclusively wherever possible since 2005.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:57 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you not noticed the trend yet. They get you used to doing something then a few years later they stick a charge on it. Whats the biggest pain at the moment - everyone taking their luggage as carry on to avoid paying for hold luggage and waiting for baggage. Mark my words a year or so down the line you will be getting charged for taking anything other than a handbag or briefcase on. $25 to begin with should suffice...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:58 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I read it to mean 4 return trips.
In the past each leg of a journey has counted as a qualifying segment for premier status, so I assumed that hasn't changed. So for me PDX-ORD-LHR and return was four flights (segments).

I agree their service is not what it was by a long shot.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Mark my words a year or so down the line you will be getting charged for taking anything other than a handbag or briefcase on. $25 to begin with should suffice...
Sprint already do that, or is it free if you put it under your feet, and a charge if you put it in the overhead bin?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Sprint already do that, or is it free if you put it under your feet, and a charge if you put it in the overhead bin?
Don't you mean Spirit? Allegiant do the same thing, too.

Jim.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Don't you mean Spirit?

Jim.
Yep them
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

FYI,

American will be introducing "10-Abreast" seating plans on their new Boeing 777-300ERs, when they are introduced on LAX-Heathrow Service;

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...on-their-777s/

Jim

Edit: It will also be phased in on some of their existing 777 Fleet, too.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:37 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

United are still good for something... No fuel surcharges on TATL award tickets. I'm using their miles to fly Lufthansa first class from Seattle to Frankfurt next week for the princely sum of $77.50!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

I'm always amused at the way United puts down a small tattered red shmatte and calls it a "red carpet" in the rather pointless separate boarding lane for "premium" passengers (reminds me of the desert toll booth in Blazing Saddles).

On occasion when boarding with the riff raff I've asked the gate agent what happens if I stretch my foot over and touch the precious red carpet. I always get a humorless and uncomprehending response, "sir, that's for our premium passengers." The Brits always do class warfare a little better...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
I'm always amused at the way United puts down a small tattered red shmatte and calls it a "red carpet" in the rather pointless separate boarding lane for "premium" passengers (reminds me of the desert toll booth in Blazing Saddles).

On occasion when boarding with the riff raff I've asked the gate agent what happens if I stretch my foot over and touch the precious red carpet. I always get a humorless and uncomprehending response, "sir, that's for our premium passengers." The Brits always do class warfare a little better...
Would you be in trouble if you bought your own to the gate, unrolled it in front of you, and then rolled it back up behind?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Would you be in trouble if you bought your own to the gate, unrolled it in front of you, and then rolled it back up behind?
It would have to be Shagpile

Jim.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If anybody gives you trouble for doing that, immediately get on your mat on your hands and knees and pretend to pray. Invincible.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It will of course vary by airline, but at the airlines I have worked, flight attendants were not permitted to lift passengers bags into overheads, many still would, but if they got hurt they risked not having the injury covered by the companies insurance.

When it came to checked bags, we could not accept any over 90 pounds for the same reason, insurance. We could accept it as cargo however.

Cargo as long as it could fit in the belly, it could go. No actual weight limits, we would get stuff in the 500-800 pound range at times, and it was not fun.