Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another UK / USA Debt Question

Another UK / USA Debt Question

Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

TopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really nice
Default Re: Another UK / USA Debt Question

Okay, where is my gun....
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:42 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopMogDog
Okay, where is my gun....
Well it's not complicated. If you don't go back you won't have a problem. They can't collect off your family if you are over 18 and (if they didn't co-sign the loan).

If you back to live, well then you have a BIG problem. Government loans don't go away, even if you go bankrupt.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

TopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really niceTopMogDog is just really nice

Ah, correct and makes my point even more valid. You can go bankrupt and the government will still collect the money for your loan. However, the money is from a NDPB, not a government depertment, HMRC will always make sure you keep paying it. So you get extra screwed on that one

Sure, if I went back I would have to pay, no questions about that.

I hate to come accross as someone who wants to get out of paying things. I have paid everything, bar this credit card which was a shock, and never claimed for a thing. I haven't paid more of my student loan because that option was not available to me when I moved, we were basically Guinea pigs back in 1998 and paid for it at a later date. NUS have a bit of information about this, even a petition, the SLC has changed its ways through time, but there are still too many varibles that have a lot of us suffering.

Last edited by TopMogDog; Apr 27th 2007 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
If you don't plan on moving back to the UK in the next 7 years then don't even worry about it if you can't afford it because it won't show up on your credit report here and it will eventually drop off the UK records as well.
Dunno about the UK, but if you want to play this game in the US, you mustn't pay anything to the account for a full seven years. US credit collectors try to persuade you to make a small payment if the file is aging to reset the clock.

My advice to OP is to make no moves at all until 100% sure of the path you are going to take.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:55 pm
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

In my very humbling experience of a few years ago an offer to pay may be greeted with we want the full amount but send them an income statement in writing phone calls are frankly a waste of time as they repeat the full amount mantra.
Just then do what I did send them cheques at three months at a time then when or if you get in a position to pay make an offer they like offers.
I owed MBNA £18000 and settled at £13000 as much of the extra £5000 was there erroneous charges.
Another good alternate is use mailboxes etc they are acceptable believe it or not as your UK address route all correspondence through there it keeps it clean and easy and consider a Payplan type company if its ongoing.
My ex colleague owed £45000 when his company went down moved to the USA and managed his debt through Payplan I am no expert but it may still be an applicable method.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopMogDog
Ah, correct and makes my point even more valid. You can go bankrupt and the government will still collect the money for your loan. However, the money is from a NDPB, not a government depertment, HMRC will always make sure you keep paying it. So you get extra screwed on that one

Sure, if I went back I would have to pay, no questions about that.

I hate to come accross as someone who wants to get out of paying things. I have paid everything, bar this credit card which was a shock, and never claimed for a thing. I haven't paid more of my student loan because that option was not available to me when I moved, we were basically Guinea pigs back in 1998 and paid for it at a later date. NUS have a bit of information about this, even a petition, the SLC has changed its ways through time, but there are still too many varibles that have a lot of us suffering.
I am sympathetic to you. But, just need to pint out that student loans were introduced way before 1998. And the amount of grant was gradually reduced as the amount of student loan was increased. So even before then you would have had loans to pay back.

Your position does sucketh though.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 3:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I am sympathetic to you. But, just need to pint out that student loans were introduced way before 1998. And the amount of grant was gradually reduced as the amount of student loan was increased. So even before then you would have had loans to pay back.

They were still shite about how it all works and paying it back and it kept changing every year, still does about the ways to pay back, % and how much of your salary....it's something that just wasn't very well thought out about.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

A bit of info.....Morgan Stanley is a US Company and has its headquarters are in New York. Founded as an Investment bank in 1935.

I guess thats how they found you

Sorry but I think you're going to have to contact them as they are Stateside and they will have no need to sell your debt
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Hi

A bit of info.....Morgan Stanley is a US Company and has its headquarters are in New York. Founded as an Investment bank in 1935.

Sorry but I think you're going to have to contact them as they are Stateside and they will have no need to sell your debt
That may be, but, the Data Protection act stops the US arm of an organization accessing its uk data bases.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Hi

Same with MBNA, Cap One and numerous others - but its a UK debt governed by UK law and therefore not enforceable directly in the US.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

Very true. I had my student loans 15 years ago & the grants were reduced to virtually nothing. The terms on my loans were that if you are out of UK for at least 1 year, you can defer payment for each year you are away. I suspect they changed that though!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Same with MBNA, Cap One and numerous others - but its a UK debt governed by UK law and therefore not enforceable directly in the US.
MBNA doesn't exist anymore, it's BOA.

But yeah, ain't data protection handy
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:43 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Come back MBNA...all is forgiven....we have had nothing but trouble with BOA since they took over and have closed down most of our accounts with them....
Old May 1st 2007, 3:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by krizzy
Come back MBNA...all is forgiven....we have had nothing but trouble with BOA since they took over and have closed down most of our accounts with them....
aye, well i've been saying they were the devil...when they merged, BoA upper management kept all the good benefits for themselves, but ditched them for everyone else, and kept the worst of both companies, right down to many of the policies, they really are quite shite, the big plus for them is that they are phooking massive and are everywhere.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:56 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I close a card they add that limit to the one card I'm keeping... who in the world needs a $50k could be now $70k limit..

I had no trouble with MBNA in all my years of dealing with them...they did keep the interest high on our first American account with them...but I'd moved on to better cards for day to day use gas shopping etc... so only used their bill paying service...which they never mucked up...BOA had that service running a few weeks and all hell broke lose....