Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

another tipping question

another tipping question

Old May 8th 2010, 1:45 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default another tipping question

ive been using a babysitting service at my local hairdressers for a while now but it suddenly struck me that maybe I should be tipping the girl - what do you all think?

The deal is - the mum goes in to the hairdressers and gets her hair done (paying and tipping the hairdresser as normal). On 2 specific afternoons a week you can leave your kids in the care of another employee whilst your having your hair done - and they let them play with a few toys, colour in, watch DVD's etc, You do have to tell them when booking the hair cut that you want to use the babysitting (so they dont get too many kids) but it doesnt cost anything to use. Have I been rude here or not!
Old May 8th 2010, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another tipping question

I don't know, but they'd probably have a cup prominently displayed with 'TIPS' written on it and/or smile a tremendous amount and say 'Have a nice day' if they expected a tip.
Old May 8th 2010, 2:20 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't know, but they'd probably have a cup prominently displayed with 'TIPS' written on it and/or smile a tremendous amount and say 'Have a nice day' if they expected a tip.
no cup - no over smiling that i remember.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
no cup - no over smiling that i remember.
Could you ask your hairdresser what people usually do?
Old May 8th 2010, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I probably would tip the salon babysitter. If you had your child in day care or had a baby sitter come to the house you would pay them, wouldn't you? Probably $5-$10 depending how long the child was with them.
Old May 8th 2010, 12:21 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

ive been using a babysitting service at my local hairdressers for a while now but it suddenly struck me that maybe I should be tipping the girl - what do you all think?

The deal is - the mum goes in to the hairdressers and gets her hair done (paying and tipping the hairdresser as normal). On 2 specific afternoons a week you can leave your kids in the care of another employee whilst your having your hair done - and they let them play with a few toys, colour in, watch DVD's etc, You do have to tell them when booking the hair cut that you want to use the babysitting (so they dont get too many kids) but it doesnt cost anything to use. Have I been rude here or not!
Let your kids give the money to the sitter then gauge the sitter's reaction from that.

-or-

Pay the sitter "in kind' with a wal-mart card or bottle of gin, or something.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Have I been rude here or not!
Not rude, no. However, they are providing a service that they are not obligated to provide, and you are using it... I think tipping would be appropriate - whatever you'd otherwise pay a sitter for the time involved.

Ian
Old May 8th 2010, 1:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Ian on this. Since you have used the service a few times, the next time you are there, discreetly palm her a few dollars with a smile and a thank you.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I'm not sure I would think about tipping the baby sitter either, to me it would be a service they provide to get more Moms in 4 a haircut etc, they are doing it to make more money on the hairdressing side, so I would expect that the tip you give your hairdresser would cover that? I would probably tip a little more to your hairdresser though.
Old May 8th 2010, 6:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I only tip people if they bring me beer.
Old May 9th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm with Ian on this. Since you have used the service a few times, the next time you are there, discreetly palm her a few dollars with a smile and a thank you.
I agree with both you and Ian. My first thought is that it is never rude to fail to leave a tip -- but it is appreciated.
Old May 9th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
TBH I'm not sure I would think about tipping the baby sitter either, to me it would be a service they provide to get more Moms in 4 a haircut etc, they are doing it to make more money on the hairdressing side, so I would expect that the tip you give your hairdresser would cover that? I would probably tip a little more to your hairdresser though.
I know that in many restaurants that the wait-people will share tips with the other staff.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
I only tip people if they bring me beer.
It as got to be a poured pint though. I hate tipping a buck to someone who only takes the cap off a bottle and places it in front of me (sat at the bar)-- I could sit at home and take the caps off my own bottles for free
Old May 9th 2010, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I know that in many restaurants that the wait-people will share tips with the other staff.
Yeah, I was thinking that this is what happens with the one on baby sitting duty.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This is true. I work as a waitress, we give the food runner (person that runs food out to the tables) some of our tips, normally $3-$5 from each waitress/waiter.

And then the busser (person who clears whats left on the table and wipes the tables) gets a % of what we got from credit card tips automatically taken from our total at the end of the night.

I think its fair and I like the system.

As for the topic in hand, yes i would tip, tipping is not a requirment, but it is appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.