Reload this Page >

Another Newbie

Another Newbie

Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:01 am
Just Joined

db5ced is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Newbie

Hello,

I apologise in advance for bothering you with my questions but I suppose that is what a forum is for.

I am a Technical Author in the UK and am looking into the possibility of moving, with my family, to the US. At this moment in time I have not looked into where as it is very early days and I am not even sure whether my profession is likely to allow me to get a job in the US. I have looked at jobs advertised and the salary on offer is much higher than I am currently on and so the prospect of a more comfortable lifestyle for me and my family is what appeals. My wife only works in a menial job with very little income so we would still be earning much more as a family on just my wage. I appreciate different areas of the US will have different living costs associated and I will look into where we would like to live once I know whether I am likely to be offered employment. I don't want to waste my time researching living costs of different areas if we weren't able to enter anyway. My route in would have to be through employment.

So my question is this. Is there anybody out there who would know if there is a shortage of Technical Writers or if a company is likely to offer sponsorship to a Technical Writer who wants to come over to the US. If you are unable to answer this question is there somewhere you would suggest I could find this information out?

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Newbie

Hello and welcome.

Firstly read this and digest your options: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Then read this to hear what the usual 80 posts for a thread like this is: http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...am-new-901206/

Then read this for information on how that perceived increase in income can be sucked up by higher costs of living and upkeep: http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...lorida-899554/

As for technical writing, I don't know of any shortage where I am. Our office probably has about 200 software engineers and has like 2-3 technical writers. As a result I couldn't ever see them sponsor.

Last edited by tom169; Aug 7th 2017 at 10:21 am.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Hi tom169,

I have already read the 'How to live and work in the USA' thread but it doesn't answer my specific question regarding the likelihood of a Technical Writer gaining employment, hence my question on the forum.

I have also read through the 'Hi I am new' post but again, doesn't answer my question.

I also understand living costs will be more expensive, but am not looking at just Florida and would look closer at potential living costs, as stated in my original post, when I have an answer to my original question.

I appreciate the time it took for you to reply but if anyone has any specific answers/help to my question, which was only regarding whether a Technical Writer was likely to gain employment in the US it would be much appreciated.

I don't need any other information....yet!!!
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:04 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you work for a company that has a presence in the USA that could offer a transfer?

I assume you have a degree?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Do you work for a company that has a presence in the USA that could offer a transfer?

I assume you have a degree?
Hi Twinkle0927,

The company i work for does have a presence in the US but not for my line of work. I document for the Research and Development team and it is only customer services in the USA. I do have a degree.

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by db5ced
I have already read the 'How to live and work in the USA' thread but it doesn't answer my specific question regarding the likelihood of a Technical Writer gaining employment, hence my question on the forum.
Whilst it doesn't specifically say technical writers take this visa, it gives you all the options.

Also, I'm not a mind reader. If you have done some research or have a visa category in mind, state it.

You omitted crucial information in this post that you included in your Canada post - like having a degree.

I have also read through the 'Hi I am new' post but again, doesn't answer my question.
OK

I also understand living costs will be more expensive, but am not looking at just Florida and would look closer at potential living costs, as stated in my original post, when I have an answer to my original question.
A lot of the increases will sweep across the USA. My aim in sharing the link was so you weren't looking through rose tinted glasses thinking everything is cheap here and the income is high.

I appreciate the time it took for you to reply but if anyone has any specific answers/help to my question, which was only regarding whether a Technical Writer was likely to gain employment in the US it would be much appreciated.
I gave you specific information about technical writers. Basically, as far as I can see, you're SOL!

I don't need any other information....yet!!!
Then pay and ask an attorney these questions. This is a public forum.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi tom169,

For the question I asked I don't believe I omitted any information. I don't know what SOL stands for. I agree this is a public forum where I should be able to ask a question without getting a surly response.

I thank you for the information you have supplied and am now happy to wait to see if someone else may be able to answer my original question.

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Twinkle0927,

The company i work for does have a presence in the US but not for my line of work. I document for the Research and Development team and it is only customer services in the USA. I do have a degree.

Thanks
The problem you face is finding someone to hire you when there are equally well qualified people in the US who can start work a couple of weeks from now and without the $5,000-$10,000 cost of visa and legal fees, and waiting 2-18 months for you to start work.

If you don't have an employer willing to transfer you, that's something else that's going to make it a lot harder because a popular and successful route to a visa is not open to you, as is being married.

Your options appear to be to switch jobs to an employer who might transfer you, or make contacts in the US with people in your line of work and potential employers and network with them to try to find possible openings for you.

Over all, it seems to me like you face a monumental challenge and one which may not be attainable for you. This will be no consolation to you, but your situation is very common among people who come to BE looking for advice on fulfilling their "dream" of moving to America, because the truth is that most people will never come to America as anything other than a visitor.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2017 at 12:35 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pulaski,

I agree with your first statement. When looking I have found a lot of adverts asking for Technical Writers which is why I was wondering if they may be in short supply. I have made connections with some US recruiters via Linkedin so I may get some more information that way.

Thanks for your response
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what SOL stands for.
Google is your friend.

I agree this is a public forum where I should be able to ask a question without getting a surly response.
Alas, there's no way to control the types of responses you get in a public forum... but I don't see that tom169 was surly! Honest, perhaps, but not surly! That's usually my default position - not his... he's a super nice guy!

I suggest it does answer your question although, perhaps, only by reading between the lines. If technical writer isn't listed specifically there's probably a reason for it: you can't qualify for a visa via that profession. Here's my thinking behind this... there's no reason for a technical writer to be living in the same country - because writing (yes, even technical writing) can be done from anywhere. That being the case, why would a US company spend between $5,000-$10,000 to sponsor you for a visa when they could hire you where you live!

I hope that doesn't sound surly.

Ian
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ian,

I have now Googled it.......nice.

The role of Technical Writer is not listed specifically in the 'How to' thread, but is listed on this website:

US H-1B Visa occupation list | Workpermit.com

There are many reasons for a Technical Writer to be based on site and most Technical Writers are.

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I looked up "Technical Writer" because I was unsure of what was the job description. I erroneously thought it was a software writer. Here is what I found. Is this correct?

A technical writer is a professional writer who produces technical documentation that helps people understand and use a product or service. Wikipedia

Median pay (annual): 70,240 USD (2015)

Median pay (hourly): 33.77 USD (2015)

Entry level education: Bachelor's degree

Projected 10-year growth: 10% (2014)

Not a bad median pay/salary but honestly, I made far more than that before I retired in 2015 and I was a legal administrator and paralegal. $70,000 in the heartland of the US would be a great salary, in the suburbs of a big city, you will able to live but perhaps not as comfortably as you thought.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 7th 2017 at 2:44 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rete,

That is correct. Those are the salary figures I found as well and have seen in general when looking at advertised jobs although some have been a bit less and some up to $110,000 depending on experience.

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

A technical writer is a professional writer who produces technical documentation that helps people understand and use a product or service. Wikipedia
I also wasn't sure just what the job entailed. If it does indeed involve writing text, another question for the OP is whether he is adept at spelling and punctuating in American style.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,

That is correct. Those are the salary figures I found as well and have seen in general when looking at advertised jobs although some have been a bit less and some up to $110,000 depending on experience. .....
Personally I wouldn't relocate a family of four to the US for a family/household income of less $80,000, even if you landed a job in a relatively low cost area. In a large city I would add at least $20,000 to that number, or in the DC, NY, Boston areas, or California in general I would add at least another $20,000. Being on low, or even below average income in the US isn't great - and trying to save money on housing can land you in areas that are dangerous in a way that doesn't exist in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2017 at 2:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.