Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another Medical Ins payment shock

Another Medical Ins payment shock

Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:44 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Medical Ins payment shock

Originally Posted by Manc
It's not.
I'd only EVER get Cobra if it were financially condusive to do so....ie if I needed a shedload of pills and had pre-existing conditions, and at that point Cobra knows this, knows that there is a high chance that they're gonna pay out, and therefore need a high premium not to go bankrupt themselves.
Agreeing with you is never that straightforward for some reason

I got all the bumph about COBRA and on glancing at it initially I thought that it must be some kind of scheme where by the govt would pay your premiums for a few months if you were to lose your job. This was based on the fact that the first 4 pages of the booklet I got detailed the history of the Bill, quotes from politicians, etc.
When I found out what COBRA actually was I was wondering what all the fuss was about - typical really, all style and no substance.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Agreeing with you is never that straightforward for some reason

I got all the bumph about COBRA and on glancing at it initially I thought that it must be some kind of scheme where by the govt would pay your premiums for a few months if you were to lose your job. This was based on the fact that the first 4 pages of the booklet I got detailed the history of the Bill, quotes from politicians, etc.
When I found out what COBRA actually was I was wondering what all the fuss was about - typical really, all style and no substance.
Yep, thats what most people think COBRA is. I heard about it a few years ago & thought the same.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
A lot of people choose to use Cobra as a carry over Insurance, because they are going to new employment & the medical at the new Job does not kickin for 30 -60 days. It's easier to use Cobra, then get a private Ins for 1 -2 months. Because most people have some Pre Existing, its easier with COBRA.
Reg. Frank R.
So, you're going to bite the bullet and pay the $1270 per month for COBRA cover?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
So, you're going to bite the bullet and pay the $1270 per month for COBRA cover?
I wood guess so. Unless the boss (Wife), can get the new Job to pay the premium. Sign on Bonus etc.
it's just another way they get ya. It's why people often stay in jobs they don't like. Pensions & Medical insurance, COBRA I think was started to alleviate this problem. It didn't?
I guess we should feel lucky, to have had Med Ins for last 17 years. When we first came to NYC, our insurance did not kick in for 30 days, baby got sick one bottle of Ceclor Liquid (10 days worth) was $150.
Reg. Frank R.
PS 45 million people don't have any.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on whether you want to gamble with something happening or not as to if it is worth the money...a slip and broken leg and that $1200 would be looking pretty good...

But it is a mare, we're taking a major hit in our medical coverage from good to basically crap coverage because the crap coverage is only going to be a little more expensive in the new year as opposed to mind numbingly more expensive...and to off set that, we've got decent car insurance...can't not afford to have a car in maine and we couldn't afford a replacement, and figured being young, chances of a major hospital stint would be snow/car related...it's all a big gamble really at the end of the day...we'd save a fortune not having any medical coverage, but not even I'm willing to risk that
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.temporaryinsurance.com/stm/Zip/

For a short term alternative to Cobra.
(I think Assurant still have pre-existing conditions clause though for this)
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
In this country has it not got quite a lot to do with what you get paid ???
If you have a chronic medical condition that doesn't stop you from working but does require treatment, it doesn't affect how much you are paid does it? Employers don't pay you less because you have diabetes, MS etc.
If you have a family member with a medical condition it certainly doesn't affect what you earn.

COBRA isn't cheap but if you are facing a gap in medical insurance coverage and you or a family member needs expensive medical care it is often the most cost effective option.
For instance, my four year old has a medical condition and his treatment costs around $15,000 a month. Now say my husband has to change jobs but the medical insurance at his new employer won't cover my son's medical condition for the first 12 months. Paying a COBRA premium of $1800/month is better than being slammed with a $15,000 bill every month until we go bankrupt.
Is COBRA an ideal solution? No. Does it fulfill a need? YES.

If you are lucky enough to not have a preexisting condition, then you can look into other solutions such as negotiating with your new employer to pick up the Cobra payments or part of them or obtaining temporary private insurance etc.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by frrussre
As I have said before, we are lucky my wife has full family medical coverage FOC, $10 co-pay for doctor visits, FOC Rx's & no referrals needed.
We are looking to move to another State, 2006. My wife called up Cobra, to get information on the Cobra benefits & charges. We will need this for 30 - 60 days before new employment Med Ins kicks in.

Wow, Cobra $1270 per month. Max 18 months. Plus all the jobs offers she is looking at, do not give the quality of Insurance we have. 1st she would have to pay extra for family cover, 2nd, Co-pays are higher, 3rd, Rx's no longer FOC, etc etc. At a minimum, we would be paying $500 mo, out of pocket.
The cost of moving keeps growing.
Reg. Frank R.

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you need to start paying into COBRA straight away, or can you wait until when/if something happens? I know it sounds crazy but one of my ex-pat friends was between jobs earlier this year and was given this advice by I think the COBRA helpline. FYI for a family of four they were quoted $800 per month for coverage. Can't verify the accuracy, but definitely worth looking into.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
If you have a chronic medical condition that doesn't stop you from working but does require treatment, it doesn't affect how much you are paid does it? Employers don't pay you less because you have diabetes, MS etc.
If you have a family member with a medical condition it certainly doesn't affect what you earn.
not directly, but indirectly it does, because your medical insurance costs will be higher, so more money taken out to cover it...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:14 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
B) What's your health (or a family member's health) got to do with how much you get paid?
If you don't get paid very much or have poor benefits your health could suffer as it means you will be unable to afford adequate medical care.