British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Another driving license question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/another-driving-license-question-481195/)

neil Sep 14th 2007 6:58 pm

Another driving license question

OK, so my I got my license when I was on an L1 visa and it expires 3 months after that status was due to expire. I now have a conditional permanent resident card and this card expires about 20 days after my driving license expires.

Now, does anyone know if they will only extend my license based on the date of my conditional residency or not? If so I suspect I would be better off waiting until I get the extension letter when I apply to remove conditions. Any thoughts?

RoadWarriorFromLP Sep 14th 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Another driving license question

I could be mistaken, but I would think that the DMV (or whatever else they may call it in Joisey) couldn't care less about your visa status.

I would just renew your license based upon its expiration date so that you can avoid any requirements to retest, etc. that might be associated with missing the deadline.

neil Sep 14th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 5312533)
I could be mistaken, but I would think that the DMV (or whatever else they may call it in Joisey) couldn't care less about your visa status.

I would just renew your license based upon its expiration date so that you can avoid any requirements to retest, etc. that might be associated with missing the deadline.

I only intend on changing it when I have the time but wondered if I should wait until I get an extension letter or just do it now. I want to have the minimum number of trips to the DMV in the next year or so. I have a day off soon so could go first thing in the morning which is usually quieter and was trying to decide whether to go now or wait until later in the year. It says you can renew licenses up to 6 months before expiry on the NJ website.

Edit: interestingly it does say "temp immgr status" on my license.

Patrick Hasler Sep 15th 2007 11:19 am

Just go to DMV, show em your Green card or Temp anyway and get a licince mate.

I got mine when I was here on a Visa waiver !

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 15th 2007 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5314615)
Just go to DMV, show em your Green card or Temp anyway and get a licince mate.

I got mine when I was here on a Visa waiver !

In CO you would get your license up to the date of your authorised presence.

Usually.

neil Sep 15th 2007 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5315048)
In CO you would get your license up to the date of your authorised presence.

Usually.

That's basically what happened in NJ (except when my L1 was extended they had changed the rules and it was valid for 3 months past the I94). I just wondered if it was different being a permanent resident (albeit a conditional one).

Rete Sep 16th 2007 1:43 am

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5315733)
That's basically what happened in NJ (except when my L1 was extended they had changed the rules and it was valid for 3 months past the I94). I just wondered if it was different being a permanent resident (albeit a conditional one).

Would be surprised if you received a DL without an expiration that conincides with your expiring green card. NJ, as NY, will only issue DL's for the length of time your status valid.

Patrick Hasler Sep 16th 2007 1:47 am

I have remewed my licence a few times due to passing various grades of CDL requirements ........... no one has ever looked at my green card and the present expiration is way past my green card date.

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 1:53 am

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5312380)
OK, so my I got my license when I was on an L1 visa and it expires 3 months after that status was due to expire. I now have a conditional permanent resident card and this card expires about 20 days after my driving license expires.

Now, does anyone know if they will only extend my license based on the date of my conditional residency or not? If so I suspect I would be better off waiting until I get the extension letter when I apply to remove conditions. Any thoughts?

Neil look at the DMV's website...there are various documents you must provide in NJ in order to renew your DL. The new rules were brought in a few years ago to prevent terrorists getting DLs.

I agree with Rete...license's in NJ are not issued past the expiry date of your GC/visa.

Edit: Here's the website...it does look as if you need to provide proof of your status in the US.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen...posterpint.pdf

mandpete Sep 16th 2007 2:58 pm

The only proof of residency I had when I renewed my NJ licence a couple of months back was my EAD, I was AOS and my visa had expired. My date of renewal for the new licence was 3 months after my EAD expired. I assume you would be issued a new licence with a renewal date of three months after your temp green card expires.

I have since received my green card and need to go back to DMV and get temp immigr status removed.

neil Sep 16th 2007 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete (Post 5318137)
The only proof of residency I had when I renewed my NJ licence a couple of months back was my EAD, I was AOS and my visa had expired. My date of renewal for the new licence was 3 months after my EAD expired. I assume you would be issued a new licence with a renewal date of three months after your temp green card expires.

I have since received my green card and need to go back to DMV and get temp immigr status removed.

Thanks, it sounds like it's not worth me renewing yet. If I renew now then it will only extend my current license by about 4 months, but in theory I should get an extension letter based on the filing for removal of conditions by the time my current license expires which would then make my new license valid for over a year.

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5318226)
Thanks, it sounds like it's not worth me renewing yet. If I renew now then it will only extend my current license by about 4 months, but in theory I should get an extension letter based on the filing for removal of conditions by the time my current license expires which would then make my new license valid for over a year.

Make sure you take the necessary documents stated in my link above...you must have the relevant number of 'points' or they will not issue a license.

neil Sep 16th 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5318276)
Make sure you take the necessary documents stated in my link above...you must have the relevant number of 'points' or they will not issue a license.

Yeah, I was looking at that and wondered where a one year extension letter fits in as it clearly indicates the I-551 stamp or card but nothing else. I guess if they don't acccept the extension then I would have no choice but to try and get the stamp. I would think there must be some provision.

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5318720)
Yeah, I was looking at that and wondered where a one year extension letter fits in as it clearly indicates the I-551 stamp or card but nothing else. I guess if they don't acccept the extension then I would have no choice but to try and get the stamp. I would think there must be some provision.

You could try asking at your local DMV but in my experience anything out of the ordinary and they don't have a clue.

Rete Sep 16th 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5316567)
I have remewed my licence a few times due to passing various grades of CDL requirements ........... no one has ever looked at my green card and the present expiration is way past my green card date.

That is because you have a permanent green card and also most likely a social security card without the legend on it. That little legend can play hell with your life.

neil Sep 16th 2007 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5318777)
You could try asking at your local DMV but in my experience anything out of the ordinary and they don't have a clue.

Exactly, maybe I'll try the state MVC office. They were pretty good when I was trying to get a car registered while on the VWP. The local office tried to tell me I couldn't do it but I knew the name of someone who could tell them that they could.

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5318800)
Exactly, maybe I'll try the state MVC office. They were pretty good when I was trying to get a car registered while on the VWP. The local office tried to tell me I couldn't do it but I knew the name of someone who could tell them that they could.

Email them and then print a copy of the reply. At least that way you can show it to the folk at the local DMV. Good luck.

CaliforniaBride Sep 18th 2007 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5316572)

I agree with Rete...license's in NJ are not issued past the expiry date of your GC/visa.

Why don't they issue DL's past the expiry date of a GC? If it's about status then PR status doesn't expire when the GC expires. Strange :confused:

neil Sep 18th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride (Post 5323736)
Why don't they issue DL's past the expiry date of a GC? If it's about status then PR status doesn't expire when the GC expires. Strange :confused:

That was why I asked the question as it doesn't clearly state anything on the NJ DMV website about permanent residents. I was hoping for an experience that told me what you suggest. Anyway, I've written to the MVC so I'll see what their response is.

CaliforniaBride Sep 19th 2007 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5325382)
That was why I asked the question as it doesn't clearly state anything on the NJ DMV website about permanent residents. I was hoping for an experience that told me what you suggest. Anyway, I've written to the MVC so I'll see what their response is.

Good luck with it. Would be interesting to know whether they acknowledge PR status.

neil Sep 19th 2007 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride (Post 5330358)
Good luck with it. Would be interesting to know whether they acknowledge PR status.

Their first response was completely pointless and irrelevant to the question (they told me as long as I have an I-94 combined with an I-797 notice of action I'll be ok) so I've rephrased my question and asked again.