Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another driving license question

Another driving license question

Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:58 pm
  #1  
Not here much
Thread Starter
 
neil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,452
neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another driving license question

OK, so my I got my license when I was on an L1 visa and it expires 3 months after that status was due to expire. I now have a conditional permanent resident card and this card expires about 20 days after my driving license expires.

Now, does anyone know if they will only extend my license based on the date of my conditional residency or not? If so I suspect I would be better off waiting until I get the extension letter when I apply to remove conditions. Any thoughts?
neil is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:36 pm
  #2  
Bloody Yank
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 4,186
RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

I could be mistaken, but I would think that the DMV (or whatever else they may call it in Joisey) couldn't care less about your visa status.

I would just renew your license based upon its expiration date so that you can avoid any requirements to retest, etc. that might be associated with missing the deadline.
RoadWarriorFromLP is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:42 pm
  #3  
Not here much
Thread Starter
 
neil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,452
neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP View Post
I could be mistaken, but I would think that the DMV (or whatever else they may call it in Joisey) couldn't care less about your visa status.

I would just renew your license based upon its expiration date so that you can avoid any requirements to retest, etc. that might be associated with missing the deadline.
I only intend on changing it when I have the time but wondered if I should wait until I get an extension letter or just do it now. I want to have the minimum number of trips to the DMV in the next year or so. I have a day off soon so could go first thing in the morning which is usually quieter and was trying to decide whether to go now or wait until later in the year. It says you can renew licenses up to 6 months before expiry on the NJ website.

Edit: interestingly it does say "temp immgr status" on my license.

Last edited by neil; Sep 14th 2007 at 7:43 pm. Reason: Add info
neil is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:19 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,820
Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Just go to DMV, show em your Green card or Temp anyway and get a licince mate.

I got mine when I was here on a Visa waiver !
Patrick Hasler is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:06 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 32,956
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler View Post
Just go to DMV, show em your Green card or Temp anyway and get a licince mate.

I got mine when I was here on a Visa waiver !
In CO you would get your license up to the date of your authorised presence.

Usually.
Boiler is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2007, 5:57 pm
  #6  
Not here much
Thread Starter
 
neil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,452
neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
In CO you would get your license up to the date of your authorised presence.

Usually.
That's basically what happened in NJ (except when my L1 was extended they had changed the rules and it was valid for 3 months past the I94). I just wondered if it was different being a permanent resident (albeit a conditional one).
neil is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:43 am
  #7  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,735
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by neil View Post
That's basically what happened in NJ (except when my L1 was extended they had changed the rules and it was valid for 3 months past the I94). I just wondered if it was different being a permanent resident (albeit a conditional one).

Would be surprised if you received a DL without an expiration that conincides with your expiring green card. NJ, as NY, will only issue DL's for the length of time your status valid.
Rete is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:47 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,820
Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

I have remewed my licence a few times due to passing various grades of CDL requirements ........... no one has ever looked at my green card and the present expiration is way past my green card date.
Patrick Hasler is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:53 am
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,144
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by neil View Post
OK, so my I got my license when I was on an L1 visa and it expires 3 months after that status was due to expire. I now have a conditional permanent resident card and this card expires about 20 days after my driving license expires.

Now, does anyone know if they will only extend my license based on the date of my conditional residency or not? If so I suspect I would be better off waiting until I get the extension letter when I apply to remove conditions. Any thoughts?
Neil look at the DMV's website...there are various documents you must provide in NJ in order to renew your DL. The new rules were brought in a few years ago to prevent terrorists getting DLs.

I agree with Rete...license's in NJ are not issued past the expiry date of your GC/visa.

Edit: Here's the website...it does look as if you need to provide proof of your status in the US.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen...posterpint.pdf

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 16th 2007 at 1:59 am.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:58 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
mandpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,269
mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

The only proof of residency I had when I renewed my NJ licence a couple of months back was my EAD, I was AOS and my visa had expired. My date of renewal for the new licence was 3 months after my EAD expired. I assume you would be issued a new licence with a renewal date of three months after your temp green card expires.

I have since received my green card and need to go back to DMV and get temp immigr status removed.
mandpete is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:23 pm
  #11  
Not here much
Thread Starter
 
neil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,452
neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by mandpete View Post
The only proof of residency I had when I renewed my NJ licence a couple of months back was my EAD, I was AOS and my visa had expired. My date of renewal for the new licence was 3 months after my EAD expired. I assume you would be issued a new licence with a renewal date of three months after your temp green card expires.

I have since received my green card and need to go back to DMV and get temp immigr status removed.
Thanks, it sounds like it's not worth me renewing yet. If I renew now then it will only extend my current license by about 4 months, but in theory I should get an extension letter based on the filing for removal of conditions by the time my current license expires which would then make my new license valid for over a year.
neil is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:44 pm
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,144
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by neil View Post
Thanks, it sounds like it's not worth me renewing yet. If I renew now then it will only extend my current license by about 4 months, but in theory I should get an extension letter based on the filing for removal of conditions by the time my current license expires which would then make my new license valid for over a year.
Make sure you take the necessary documents stated in my link above...you must have the relevant number of 'points' or they will not issue a license.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:06 pm
  #13  
Not here much
Thread Starter
 
neil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,452
neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Make sure you take the necessary documents stated in my link above...you must have the relevant number of 'points' or they will not issue a license.
Yeah, I was looking at that and wondered where a one year extension letter fits in as it clearly indicates the I-551 stamp or card but nothing else. I guess if they don't acccept the extension then I would have no choice but to try and get the stamp. I would think there must be some provision.
neil is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:15 pm
  #14  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,144
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by neil View Post
Yeah, I was looking at that and wondered where a one year extension letter fits in as it clearly indicates the I-551 stamp or card but nothing else. I guess if they don't acccept the extension then I would have no choice but to try and get the stamp. I would think there must be some provision.
You could try asking at your local DMV but in my experience anything out of the ordinary and they don't have a clue.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:15 pm
  #15  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,735
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler View Post
I have remewed my licence a few times due to passing various grades of CDL requirements ........... no one has ever looked at my green card and the present expiration is way past my green card date.

That is because you have a permanent green card and also most likely a social security card without the legend on it. That little legend can play hell with your life.
Rete is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.