Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Angie's List?

Angie's List?

Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:54 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Angie's List?

So Weeze and I have been trying to cost up some bathroom work, or even get an idea of popular companies in Houston. I'm drawing an utter blank on trying to find online reviews - yelp, city-data, google reviews are all pretty much empty.

I know the cost of an Angie's List subscription ($39) is nothing compared to the cost of any work, but I was hoping some people had a positive view of it! I must admit I'm also a bit puzzled as to why there is a big heap of nothing out there otherwise - will people not post a positive/negative review for fear of being sued?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Angie's List?

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
So Weeze and I have been trying to cost up some bathroom work, or even get an idea of popular companies in Houston. I'm drawing an utter blank on trying to find online reviews - yelp, city-data, google reviews are all pretty much empty.

I know the cost of an Angie's List subscription ($39) is nothing compared to the cost of any work, but I was hoping some people had a positive view of it! I must admit I'm also a bit puzzled as to why there is a big heap of nothing out there otherwise - will people not post a positive/negative review for fear of being sued?
Never used Angie's list myself...'cos I don't like paying for stuff like that...but the late Dolly Llama swore by it. She always used it when she needed jobs doing around the house and was pleased with the work done.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My BIL is an Angies list subscriber, and I had a shufty at his online account. Ended up not using it as I couldn't find any "real" people that had used any of the companies, and I didn't trust the reviews for the companies I looked at, which looked like "groupie marketing". Just my take, and I know a lot of people do use it, so maybe I'm just too cynical.

I did use that Check a Pro that is advertised all the time round here - sort of a local version of Angies List. Not impressed - it is simply a marketing organization that the companies buy in to. I got a plumber from there to give me a quote for some work. He charged me a $50 call out fee and then added $10 parking charge on it (this was at a condo in downtown and his truck wouldn't fit in the garage). He was a total a-hole, and his quote came in at almost $1000, including for work which was totally unnecessary. I ended up using a plumber recommended by the building concierge, who did a good job and charged me $150, which got him on Yorkie's List I've used him a few times since, and he has done nothing to revoke that status. To be fair to Check a Pro, I gave feedback on the other guy, and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, they got me a refund.

Don't know anyone specifically for bathroom refurbishment, but we used a company out of Stafford for some outdoor work (extension including patio cover, outdoor kitchen, pool bath). I've used them 3 or 4 times, and quite a few neighbours have piggy backed off that and they have always been very good, and reasonable. The only thing is, every time I get them to quote for indoor stuff (cabinetry) they are a bit pricey, but happy to PM you the contact if you want to try them. If nothing else, he may put you onto someone else - I got a good roofing guy from him like that.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

We needed help when we arrived in Florida, bought a house, and wanted to do some extensive remodelling. Of course, we did not know anyone and decided to try Angie's list. It was the best $39 we have spent. Picked out the contactors based on the reviews and enjoyed a really good experience with them.
We still use Angie's to check out things and have found reliable mechanics etc.
It's not foolproof, but if you can get four or five really good reviews to work with you'll have a big advantage.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I tried it briefly - but actually demanded a refund (which they gave me when they confirmed what had occured). Despite my rather negative personal experience I remain ambivalent rather than anti-Angie....and definitely recommend giving it a try.
They have lists and super lists - a kind of Best of the Best lists (at least here in LA). I did NOT get the impression that the references were a scam. Not at all - and I'm fairly cynical. Despite my personal experience - I'd recommend giving it a try, compiling a list of contractor or individual tradesman possibilities - and if you find it to be useless - cancel after a month (I believe they only require a monthly commitment ).
Good luck with your quest.....
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

We used "Service Pro" for to find our deck and fence contractor and for a recent fireplace issue, and found them to be reasonable resource for the price of "Free".
It allowed us to see who was on there, with reviews. I was able to then do some addtional research (e.g google) and in the end I was happy with the chap who came, the charge was a little more then he said on the phone, but he saved us in the end.....

If the job is big enough Angies list doesn't sound to much of an expense, but ours didn't warrant paying for something that is essentailly out there free...
Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:45 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... well, here in New England I have one relative who recommends Angie's List and another relative who got the runaround (contractor kept promising to come on several days & never showed up till weeks later) & so would NOT use A'sL again, preferring to go with neighbours' recommendations.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:16 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If the commercials are any indication as to the quality and quantity of reviews then it is useless.
I paused my DVR to get a drink, and when I returned I noticed in the scrolling list of "reviews" on the TV advert that some looked identical. Scrolling forwards and backwards showed they are indeed the same review.

At the 7 second marker when the "reviews" scroll up the screen, I only see 4 different reviews before they start repeating.

I need to get out more . . .
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmmm ... well, here in New England I have one relative who recommends Angie's List and another relative who got the runaround (contractor kept promising to come on several days & never showed up till weeks later) & so would NOT use A'sL again, preferring to go with neighbours' recommendations.
IMO a neighbour or friend's recommendations are the best way of finding a contractor.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
At the 7 second marker when the "reviews" scroll up the screen, I only see 4 different reviews before they start repeating.
LOL, well spotted!

I've only heard bad things about AL. Sure, some of the people on there will work out fine - it's the list itself that is the problem, it seems. This comment applies to any review site probably, including Yelp for example.

One does wonder who paid to use the service at the very beginning and wrote the very first reviews.

I used ReviewCentre (I think) back in the UK and whinged about a certain Internet host. They apparently complained as ReviewCentre asked me for evidence of my claims. As I'd been to OFCOM about them, I was quite willing and able to provide such - and ReviewCentre actually made my report even more critical! That'll teach the buggers to complain about my honest review!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 5:19 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO a neighbour or friend's recommendations are the best way of finding a contractor.
Agreed, and I will be asking Yorkie for the details. However, failing that, I was surprised at the lack of genuine info out there for an area of 6 million + people. I don't think I've forgotten how to use google, but you never know...
Old Jan 14th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
If the commercials are any indication as to the quality and quantity of reviews then it is useless. 1

I need to get out more . . . 2
1 They're not.
Here's a link which should give Mr Weeze an idea of what reviews on Angies List are like. As I said in earlier post - they appear to me to be legitimate and uncensored.
http://www.angieslist.com/sneakpeek/...0#page_0_rpt_2
And on the actual members web site - one finds lots of negative assessments (C and D overall ratings - with specifics)
2 Maybe so
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Pretty much all contractors stick a sign out on the front fence of a place they've done work, around here at least.

Think it's a case of just knocking on doors and asking for opinions when you see them if your neighbours can't help.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently turn around is fair play. A website for contractors to bitch about clients:

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/14/la...bad-customers/
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
Pretty much all contractors stick a sign out on the front fence of a place they've done work, around here at least.

Think it's a case of just knocking on doors and asking for opinions when you see them if your neighbours can't help.
Do people actually answer the door in your neck of the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.