Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Americans:still afraid to fly?

Americans:still afraid to fly?

Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice
Default Americans:still afraid to fly?

We have a family wedding this year over here in blighty,and have invited our American section of family and friends over for the event.
I was rather surprised to hear that some would not fly to the UK,due to the "continuing terrorist threat" and the bombings of last year in London.
Before the cynical amongst you comment that perhaps they do not want to come and are looking for excuses,I know these people very well and they are genuinely worried about flying and coming to the UK.
I'd love to see them and have them here with us,it would mean a lot.
From one of their comments you would think London is Baghdad.
In your opinion,is this typical of the viewpoint of your average American these days?
I've been back in the UK a while now so I'm interested to know.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americans:still afraid to fly?

Originally Posted by cupranod
We have a family wedding this year over here in blighty,and have invited our American section of family and friends over for the event.
I was rather surprised to hear that some would not fly to the UK,due to the "continuing terrorist threat" and the bombings of last year in London.
Before the cynical amongst you comment that perhaps they do not want to come and are looking for excuses,I know these people very well and they are genuinely worried about flying and coming to the UK.
In your opinion,is this typical of the viewpoint of your average American these days?
Many thanks.
Terrorism can strike anywhere and at any time. Oklahoma City & New York City are perfect examples of that!

Give them an education about Blighty....there's more to it than just London, and, due to the extra security measures in place, flying is safer than it has ever been.

Jim.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks.

this lot just don't know....proportionately not many USA citizens have passports and they are gullible people...so they really haven't a clue...
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:37 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks.
I think some Americans think the rest of the world is unsafe and do not want to leave the country. It's weird because you have more chance dying on the road in the US than being a victim of a terrorist attack.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:46 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I think some Americans think the rest of the world is unsafe and do not want to leave the country. It's weird because you have more chance dying on the road in the US than being a victim of a terrorist attack.
I was discussing travelling to England with a friend recently. She said she would love to visit some time in the future, once her kids are grown up. I asked her why she wouldn't take them with her, thinking it would be because they are nervous of anything new..food, places, people etc the lot. Nope, turns out it's for safety reasons. Suddenly realised my mate thinks I come from a war torn third world country.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
realised my mate thinks I come from a war torn third world country.
lol now there's a whole thread on this......we could chat for hours about this 'issue'
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Some people still see this as a reason to not travel.....
I guess based on this warning, Americans will be completely safe June 13th onwards..

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman

This information is current as of today, document.write(Date()+".") Fri Jan 27 11:45:48 2006.

Worldwide Caution
December 12, 2005

This Public Announcement updates information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against Americans and interests overseas. This supersedes the Worldwide Caution dated August 2, 2005 and expires on June 12, 2006.

The Department of State remains concerned about the continued threat of terrorist attacks, demonstrations and other violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests overseas. Ongoing events in Iraq have resulted in demonstrations and associated violence in several countries. Americans are reminded that demonstrations and rioting can occur with little or no warning.

Current information suggests that al-Qa’ida and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, including Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics to include assassinations, kidnappings, hijackings and bombings.

Extremists may elect to use conventional or non-conventional weapons, and target both official and private interests. The hotel bombings in Jordan in early November illustrate how terrorists exploit vulnerabilities associated with soft targets. Additional examples of such targets include residential areas, business offices, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, public areas and locales where Americans gather in large numbers, including during holidays.

In the wake of the July 2005 London bombings and the March 2004 train attacks in Madrid, Americans are reminded of the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems. In addition, extremists may also select aviation and maritime services as possible targets.

U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. For additional information, please refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” found at http://travel.state.gov.

U.S. Government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert. These facilities may temporarily close or periodically suspend public services to assess their security posture. In those instances, U.S. embassies and consulates will make every effort to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. Americans abroad are urged to monitor the local news and maintain contact with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

As the Department continues to develop information on any potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. In addition to information on the Internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
this lot just don't know....proportionately not many USA citizens have passports and they are gullible people...so they really haven't a clue...
I agree. I think that once an American has flown overseas their opinions change drastically.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a small department of about 30 people, out of that I know 3 Americans who have been to the UK in the past 12 months, not a bad percentage
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:06 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I was discussing travelling to England with a friend recently. She said she would love to visit some time in the future, once her kids are grown up. I asked her why she wouldn't take them with her, thinking it would be because they are nervous of anything new..food, places, people etc the lot. Nope, turns out it's for safety reasons. Suddenly realised my mate thinks I come from a war torn third world country.
We have the American government to thank for that. They seem to really enjoy scaring the crap out of us.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aznewsh
I work in a small department of about 30 people, out of that I know 3 Americans who have been to the UK in the past 12 months, not a bad percentage

not bad.....are the travellers going on business as I find that percentage is not bad it's the others...
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I agree. I think that once an American has flown overseas their opinions change drastically.

True,but is there really still such a climate of fear stopping them travelling in the first place?
In my opinion,the sensationalised news coverage is at least partly to blame.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Are you from Toxteth or Brixton then?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:18 pm
WTF?

True,but is there really still such a climate of fear stopping them travelling in the first place?
In my opinion,the sensationalised news coverage is at least partly to blame.
I don't disagree at all.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

think some Americans think the rest of the world is unsafe and do not want to leave the country
I've been told by not-so-few in my near decade here, this very thing. It is unsafe outside the US borders so they won't even go there.

I find it absolutely-bloody-lievable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.