British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are Americans really an different to us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americans-really-different-us-602740/)

Elvira Apr 9th 2009 11:47 pm

Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7467893)
Come to think of it, I've had more meaningful discussions with the #22 bus stop.

just kidding).

FFS is it *that* bad in .... (what's it called again......... that place where you hang your hat...) :ohmy:

Or are you just taking the pi$$ :p

exvj Apr 9th 2009 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7467878)
:confused:

Sorry I must have missed something...I didn't realise you make the rules of who can post and what they can post on here. :blink:

I said we can all post and all nationalities welcome - correct me if I am wrong ?

It's the people who go round in a group and try to squash anyone who points out something they don't like about their country who are trying to set indirect rules on their own

It's natural for immigrated Brits on BE to say what their likes and dislikes are - I just down think they should be howled down by the same band of americans that's all

Sally Redux Apr 9th 2009 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467911)

Or are you just taking the pi$$ :p

Who me? :confused::angel_smile:

Elvira Apr 9th 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7467918)

piss off.......................................... :p

exvj Apr 9th 2009 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467883)
So true. I have had more meaningful discussions with people I've met at the # 22 bus stop in Putney than I've had in 8 years here.

This town is 45% Latino and I love it. The way they hold themselves and talk is so Spanish and dignified. My wife teaches them English voluntarily and I feel so at ease with them

I have never been to Mexico, but I suspect they must have absorbed the European culture there and it has been handed down

The US has made a concious effort to differentiate itself in every way from England and that shows too

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2009 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7467918)

This one is more you Sally.

http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/MS...-angel-050.gif

Sally Redux Apr 9th 2009 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467919)
piss off.......................................... :p

Get back on yer bus

Sally Redux Apr 9th 2009 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7467930)

Yes it is!! :lol:

The one supplied looks like a baby.

Sally Redux Apr 9th 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7467928)

I have never been to Mexico, but I suspect they must have absorbed the European culture there and it has been handed down

Or, they have not lost their naturalness.

Elvira Apr 10th 2009 12:04 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7467930)

Elvira Apr 10th 2009 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7467931)
Get back on yer bus

I wish...........

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<sigh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:huh:

Sally Redux Apr 10th 2009 12:09 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467947)

Thanks!

Sally Redux Apr 10th 2009 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467948)
I wish...........

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<sigh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:huh:

Now don't start starting :(

Bluegrass Lass Apr 10th 2009 1:21 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7467859)
Think of it as a girlie night out or a boys booze up - these groups like to be alone and to talk about the other lot sometimes

Or is that too PC and it doesn't happen in america ?

Yes people of all nationalities welcome as long as they don't become oppressive in squashing opinion of other nationals with heavy handedness and banding together an sending PM's to each other or to people who might support a poster against their wishes

1st amendment and all that you know

It's obvious to everyone by now that americans are incredibly sensitive to perceived slights against their country, and it deters the flow of people's experiences

Perhaps thats the biggest difference of all - Britons come from a quietly assured country whose long history has worked out many questions, whereas the US is a new born and still trying to find it's self image

Nothing more prickly making than a sense of insecurity

Britain had its civil war before the US
We had our bill of rights before the US
We had votes for women before the US
We banned slavery before the US
We had a woman head of government before the US
We halted public executions before the US
etc etc etc etc etc

The US is still finding its way as society and so the Brits should make allowances I suppose and compliment them all the time for what they have achieved in the way that we only compliment children and we don't point out their failures

The US was the first to kick out a monarchy and realize that someone, by virtue of their birth, is not the best leader for a country. Regardless of the 'power' HRM may or may not hold, she is still considered the Head of State. A bit old fashioned, no?

If you speak to Americans about what you find lacking here, in the same tone that you write with here, no wonder you think all Americans can't take criticisms of the government. I find many faults with my country and am open to discussing them, but I wouldn't tolerate the insults that you spew forth. If you spoke to me with the same condescending tone you have here, I would have bitch-slapped you into the middle of next week.

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 10th 2009 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7467893)
Come to think of it, I've had more meaningful discussions with the #22 bus stop.
(just kidding).

Sally - I think it's time for us to have another phone chat. :) I promise not to ask you about the British school system, etc. this time. We can discuss the knowledge we wish we had now that we will have when we're 70 instead. Or existentialism. ;)