British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are Americans really an different to us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americans-really-different-us-602740/)

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 10th 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 7470201)
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3....copy while you can :D

boom:rofl:

Islandgurl Apr 12th 2009 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 7468341)
Virginians are about the most stable and enjoyable "types" of Americans I've found over here so far.
The nice thing about this state is that its in the South, but its not too Southern. You get the respectfull kids, polite and friendly (but not psychotic) adults and a general appreciation for family life without the straw hats and buck teeth.

apart from Northern Virginia...:thumbsup: we are civilized..:rofl:

cindyabs Apr 12th 2009 3:32 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7467815)
I bought some little britain DVD's this week and we sat right through them without USC wifey laughing once - oh except at the disabled jokes

Last week we watched fools and horses 'miami twice' - nothing

Even in the one where when damien appeared at the end of the bed and rodney said 'cassandra, i locked the door'

nothing

Even when the male midwife's wig dropped between her legs and delboy said 'I can see it's head'

nothing

I reckon the americans make the north korean army look like giggly school girls when it comes to british humour

Yes, that's why for over 30 years (from personal experience) British comedies have been shown on PBS stations across the US.

cindyabs Apr 12th 2009 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7469895)
What has slinky got to do with her voice?

she does have a slinky voice.

cindyabs Apr 12th 2009 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467883)
So true. I have had more meaningful discussions with people I've met at the # 22 bus stop in Putney than I've had in 8 years here.

then I'm sorry for you.

srah Apr 12th 2009 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467883)
So true. I have had more meaningful discussions with people I've met at the # 22 bus stop in Putney than I've had in 8 years here.

Love it...you talk sense :thumbup:

I keep having my posts deleted by the yanks as they say I'm talking gibberish but the truth is the yanks don't like the truth!

Gibberish now I like that word...:D

srah Apr 12th 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Islandgurl (Post 7472413)
apart from Northern Virginia...:thumbsup: we are civilized..:rofl:

Well that's good to know!

srah Apr 12th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7469860)
I thought it was where you kept your educational certificates

:rofl:

Sue Apr 12th 2009 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by srah (Post 7473206)
Love it...you talk sense :thumbup:

I keep having my posts deleted by the yanks as they say I'm talking gibberish but the truth is the yanks don't like the truth!

Gibberish now I like that word...:D

You need to be aware that although this site is primarily for British expats we have people of many nationalities using this site. Many are Americans who are married to British citizens and came to BE to share their experiences of their British spouses/partners moving to the USA. These people are all valued members of this community (some having been members for many years). You have only been a member for 5 mins so I suggest that you take the time to read through the forums and get to know some of our members before making any further general assumptions such as the one in your post.

Thanks

Scouse Express Apr 12th 2009 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by yodfrodo (Post 7466883)
does being english make you kind of stand out??

Only when I'm driving, the Americans won't get out of my way when I'm driving on the left-side of the road:eek:

Jim.

Xebedee Apr 12th 2009 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 7473368)
Only when I'm driving, the Americans won't get out of my way when I'm driving on the left-side of the road:eek:
Jim.

The ignorant bastards. :eek:
No wonder they can't win a war on their own.

srah Apr 12th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 7473345)
You need to be aware that although this site is primarily for British expats we have people of many nationalities using this site. Many are Americans who are married to British citizens and came to BE to share their experiences of their British spouses/partners moving to the USA. These people are all valued members of this community (some having been members for many years). You have only been a member for 5 mins so I suggest that you take the time to read through the forums and get to know some of our members before making any further general assumptions such as the one in your post.

Thanks

Tks. I have taken your advice and read up on a few forums. Seems there are more yanks than Brits. I understand why then they thought I was talking gibberish as we do speak with a different tongue....but I will excuse them on this occassion :p

srah Apr 12th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 7473406)
The ignorant bastards. :eek:
No wonder they can't win a war on their own.

Now aint that the truth :lol:

CitySimon Apr 13th 2009 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by srah (Post 7473680)
Tks. I have taken your advice and read up on a few forums. Seems there are more yanks than Brits. I understand why then they thought I was talking gibberish as we do speak with a different tongue....but I will excuse them on this occassion :p

You might think so, but a lot of the Brits who have lived in the US for a long time either regard ourselves as Yanks or have taken US citizenship, so ARE yanks.

Anyway 41 posts and already had two deleted?? That's an impressive introduction by anyones standards.

N1cky Apr 13th 2009 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7469767)
Thanks for that Lorna - my dad died 14 years ago and I handled it very well -and my mother was 94.5 so it should have been expected but somehow it's harder this time. Strange - I have been used to going back 3 times a year which is a great homesickness cure and someone needed me. In a way it's a duty off my shoulders, but having had her around for my 61 years I had sort of become used to her being there ...

She is much like me and she would say to a staff member at her home - 'This is Alan my son' then she would say to me - 'This is Zena my friend' and then she would say to Zena - 'Well I call you my friend, but you don't know what i really think do you '?

She loved Zena really and it's just her unacceptable sense of humour and I have inherited it. All the off duty staff will be at her funeral as they got to accept her 'way' eventually - but it is a long process.

Hey ho, well I will back to poke you all with my infuriating comments in a couple of weeks hopefully (If I am allowed)

Sorry for your loss exvj, I hope your trip back isn't too painful.

Although I don't agree with all your comments, I do appreciate the fact that you say what you feel. Its a great side of the British, you can have a good argument with someone but still be good mates. Don't let the buggers get you down.

Take care