Americana

Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

It's not as much places that I've seen on TV or in films that I wanted to see...

For example, I love the music of the 60s. Carole King, Holland, Dozier and Holland so I looked for the Brill Building on Broadway in NY city. This might not mean much to those of you who weren't around in the 60s (I wasn't) but the Brill Building was the place where so many great songs were written.

I'll never forget my visit to the Statue of Liberty in 97. I was "tour guide" to my best friend who'd never been to the US at that point, let alone NY. From the time we stood in the queue in Battery Park (I believe) to the moment we reached the top, the crown of Liberty, the journey took 5 hours. Let's just say it was just before the peak of tourist season.

On that same trip we took a walk down Wall St., ate at a NY diner. On a subsequent trip, I got a tour of the ABC studios in NY by my spouse's best friend who happens to work there.

I was moved after reading the autobiography of Malcolm X a little before one trip to NY so when I was in the city, I went up to the Bronx to have a look at the Lennox Lounge which appears to look the same as in the days when Malcolm X hung out there.

On the opposite end of the scale, I like places like Blackpool with piers, funfairs and an element of tackiness so I really enjoyed riding the attractions at Coney Island and eating a Nathan's.

The World Trade Center used to be a place I visited on each NY trip because there was a cut price ticket booth in there (called TKTS). The last time I was there was in Sept. 2000. Got tix for Cabaret that time.

During NY, I've visited the neighborhoods such as Greenwich Village (neve spotted any celebs), Little Italy, Chinatown and on one ocassion I actually stayed in "warehouse apt" in Tribeca, courtesy of my manager's manager at the time, Rose. It must have been the place to be 'cos one morning, I came out the front door to find an advert being filmed right next door!

I love NY and even though I live in the US, I find I don't have vacation time to spend as much time there as I used to when I lived in the UK. Strange, isn't it?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:49 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks NC Penguin...that was a great post. I love to hear about places that mean something and that inspire emotive feelings. I remember arriving in NYC for the first time and being completely awestruck. I couldn't believe I was actually there as I'd dreamed about it for so long. I sat in a little old Italian cafe in Manhattan that John Lennon and Yoko Ono used to frequent and sat there wondering what it would have been like to see them wander in and sit at a table and order a coffee. The day I arrived in Phoenix I stayed in a hotel, and next door to it there was a 50's style diner, complete with chrome jukeboxes on each table - total Americana. I sat there and had breakfast on my first day as an immigrant, and 4 policemen and women came in looking all tanned in shorts and sunglasses, and sat down for breakfast looking exactly like they did in that programme Cops that I loved to watch in the UK. I really thought I had arrived LOL. Looking out at the blue sky and palm trees gave me a sense of a new beginning.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Thanks NC Penguin...that was a great post. I love to hear about places that mean something and that inspire emotive feelings. I remember arriving in NYC for the first time and being completely awestruck. I couldn't believe I was actually there as I'd dreamed about it for so long. I sat in a little old Italian cafe in Manhattan that John Lennon and Yoko Ono used to frequent and sat there wondering what it would have been like to see them wander in and sit at a table and order a coffee. The day I arrived in Phoenix I stayed in a hotel, and next door to it there was a 50's style diner, complete with chrome jukeboxes on each table - total Americana. I sat there and had breakfast on my first day as an immigrant, and 4 policemen and women came in looking all tanned in shorts and sunglasses, and sat down for breakfast looking exactly like they did in that programme Cops that I loved to watch in the UK. I really thought I had arrived LOL. Looking out at the blue sky and palm trees gave me a sense of a new beginning.
Heh, in the morning you'll wake up back in the UK, in your old home, in your old bed. Suddenly, you'll realize that it was all a dream, and that you've never even been to the US, let alone moved there.

BTW, did you see the episode of X-Files were Scully and Mulder were on Cops? I thought that was way cool!!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:49 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
Heh, in the morning you'll wake up back in the UK, in your old home, in your old bed. Suddenly, you'll realize that it was all a dream, and that you've never even been to the US, let alone moved there.

BTW, did you see the episode of X-Files were Scully and Mulder were on Cops? I thought that was way cool!!
No! Say it wasn't all a dream! LOL. That would be typical of one of my nightmares. No, I never did see that episode...sounds like a lot of fun. I have a terrible fascination for that show Cops...it's so horrible I can't look away! There really are people like that you know...we get them in our unit in Phoenix all the time. I always thought they were some weird caricature of Americans, but no...they really do exist! Straggly mullets, moustaches, red pick-up trucks, 14 year old girlfriends, getting into fights with their brother and stabbing them in the head, taking drugs and drinking and driving very fast the wrong way up the highway. Yep...it all happens down here.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been in any States besides Arizona, Nevada and California yet (not counting airports). Some of the more 'famous' places I've been to are...

Hollywood - did the usual 'walk of fame' stuff. Got plenty of pics of the Hollywood sign, Mann's, the Kodak Theatre and such. Took a drive through Beverly Hills to see where I'll be living in a few years! *lol*
Las Vegas - love this place. Perhaps too decadent for some, but as long as you go to have fun you'll love it. Go with the idea of making a fortune and the place will probably eat you alive.
Hoover Dam - a big plus if you drive to Vegas from Phoenix (as I'm sure Pimpbot will agree). I've also flown over it.
Disneyland - maybe a little too 'kiddie' friendly for me. It was great fun, but I don't think I'd want to go too often. I'm more of a 'coaster' kinda guy. Some of the nearby coaster parks were more to my taste, such as Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Theme Park.
Grand Canyon - fantastic spectacle, truly breathtaking. Although pretty much a one day trip, as once you've been round the various points there isn't really much else to do. Took me until my fifth trip to Arizona to see it, and I was fed up of people asking me what the Canyon was like when I hadn't been there! *lol*
Route 66 - been on it twice. Got a picture of the roadsign and a plate for my mum! *lol*
Sedona - certainly not as famous as the others, but worth a mention for it's beauty. About a two hour drive up from Phoenix, so those here who live in Arizona, and haven't been there, should pay it a visit.

Feels like I've seen quite a bit, but there's so much more to do and see. Can't wait!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct on Sedona. If Rockgurl is driving up there to the Canyon soon, I highly recommend a stop on the way back in Sedona. Probably one of the most beautiful spots in America.
http://www.sedona.net/index.cfm?go=Photos
Attached Thumbnails Americana-sedona.jpg  

Last edited by Pimpbot; Mar 22nd 2004 at 2:44 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:59 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say my most significant experience of Americana, and I'm sure many of you have done this one too, is having your picture taken on top of the Empire State Building with lower Manhattan and the twin towers in the background. I made it in early 2000!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 4:44 am
Rock Goddess

I've heard a lot about Sedona, and will definitely try to stop there on the way back from the Grand Canyon. I bought a book about Arizona and the pictures are absolutely breathtaking. I have to find Route 66 too! Where the heck is it?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I've heard a lot about Sedona, and will definitely try to stop there on the way back from the Grand Canyon. I bought a book about Arizona and the pictures are absolutely breathtaking. I have to find Route 66 too! Where the heck is it?
I'm not 100% sure, but I dont think you see route 66 while going to the Canyon?. I know we drove on it while driving to Vegas, passing through Kingman, AZ.

Here's a pic from our trip in sept.
Attached Thumbnails Americana-grandcanyon4.jpg  
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:31 am
Rock Goddess

That's a breathtaking picture. That's what I love most about Arizona...it's a classic American landscape. Absolutely beautiful.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 7:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I'm not 100% sure, but I dont think you see route 66 while going to the Canyon?. I know we drove on it while driving to Vegas, passing through Kingman, AZ.

Here's a pic from our trip in sept.
I hope they check that railing on a regular basis!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:25 am
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough
Default Sedona

Wow ! Pimpbot, those pics are truly amazing. I'll have to add Sedona to my long list of things to see / do !
Thanks for posting them !
- Trace.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% sure, but I dont think you see route 66 while going to the Canyon?.
We stayed at Williams when we visited the Canyon. Route 66 runs through there. It's pretty well known for the Grand Canyon Railway. We planned on taking it, but decided to drive in the end so we didn't have to stick to a schedule.

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not 100% sure, but I dont think you see route 66 while going to the Canyon?.
I've now been informed by my wife, that you do indeed use route 66 as you pass through Flagstaff on the way to the Canyon. Its the main road. Oops! lol
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:56 pm
DBH
Forum Regular

DBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the rough

I think it's great that you're all getting out and seeing the country. The US really is a beautiful place! Unfortunately, we Americans tend to forget that.

If any of you get the chance, then go on the tour at the Hoover Dam. It's amazing to hear the stories of how the dam was built... and how so many lost their lives during the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.