Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Tax Preparer recommendations?

Wikiposts

American Tax Preparer recommendations?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Default American Tax Preparer recommendations?

Hiya,

Its that time of year, and preparing to do my American tax returns,
I am having trouble finding an experienced, qualified Tax preparer here in the UK, that is experienced in preparing tax returns for American Expats. Has anyone got any recommendations?

If not, do you know if the online tax software, such as Turbotax, is capable of doing tax returns for Americans abroad? Taking into account that I would have to declare foreign income.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Tax Preparer recommendations?

Originally Posted by SDER
Hiya,

Its that time of year, and preparing to do my American tax returns,
I am having trouble finding an experienced, qualified Tax preparer here in the UK, that is experienced in preparing tax returns for American Expats. Has anyone got any recommendations?

If not, do you know if the online tax software, such as Turbotax, is capable of doing tax returns for Americans abroad? Taking into account that I would have to declare foreign income.

Thanks!!
I used Turbotax when I was in the States ... the challenge is how to deal with exchange rates (use the prevailing rate at tax time, average rate over the year, or individual rates when expenses/income were incurred? I never found anyone who could give an authoritative answer to this one).

BTW, you might get more answers on the USA forum. Are you in the UK (you said "here"), or US?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

Hi Dunroving!

Thanks for the info... Im in the UK now.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
I used Turbotax when I was in the States ... the challenge is how to deal with exchange rates (use the prevailing rate at tax time, average rate over the year, or individual rates when expenses/income were incurred? I never found anyone who could give an authoritative answer to this one).

BTW, you might get more answers on the USA forum. Are you in the UK (you said "here"), or US?
Here is the Bank of Canada site. It has a historical 10 year look-up feature to allow you to determine exchange rates for Canadian and US Dollars against other currencies (including GBP) on any given day in the past 10 years. Usually, the exchange rate used is the prevailing rate on the date the transaction occurs (for example, when calculating gains/losses when buying/selling stocks in a foreign currency or when money is exchanged for another currency).

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchform.html

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 17th 2010 at 2:18 am.