Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American roads

Wikiposts

American roads

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:41 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an excellent roundabout in Hemel Hempstead, which was one circle made up of 12 separate circles. Confused the hell out of everyone there. I'm sure someone can find a picture of the road sign, which as I recall was terrifying in itself.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
There was an excellent roundabout in Hemel Hempstead, which was one circle made up of 12 separate circles. Confused the hell out of everyone there. I'm sure someone can find a picture of the road sign, which as I recall was terrifying in itself.

We had one of those in Essex- it was great fun
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

expain it ... hmmm .... Swindon council havin a larf ??? only other explanation is ...... Arrrrrghhhh !!!

hehe Jan
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American roads

Originally posted by Pulaski
I'm thinking of training as a civil engineer!

I thought you already were, I had attributed the Pulaski Highway to you..........huh...and there was me thinking you were the Isambard Kingdom Brunel of NC, how mistaken was I !!

Rob
Old Sep 26th 2003, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robclews
...... how mistaken was I !!

Rob
I may be a man of many parts, but "civil engineer" isn't one of them. ..... at least not yet!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you guys been to Swindon? Waste of Tax payers money at it best!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Have any of you guys been to Swindon? Waste of Tax payers money at it best!
Did you not read my post at the bottom of page 2? As the junction is still there, twelve years after I first drove that way (and I don't believe that it was new even then) it must work for the traffic in Swindon. ..... Maybe it frightens traffic away from the area on to other less heavily used roads!

BTW A similar junction to Swindon's Magic Roundabout, was created in Sheffield in the early 70's, but it didn't last that long. It was treated as exprimental, laid out with white-painted tires and signposts in barrels, and so was easy to change for something more conventional.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Smile the'magic roundabout'!

Hi I'm new here...just had to say...I grew up in Swindon,and,yes,'that' roundabout is a nightmare!,'specially if you're sitting on the top deck of a bus!!!,it was bad enough when it was first built ....then they made it more'exciting!?!,by adding the second part of it!!!!....I think the way most people negotiate it is by launching themselves at it with eyes tightly shut,and the 'magic' part is when you open your eyes to discover you've made it to the exit you aimed yourself at....and you're still in one piece!!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 2:47 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I may be a man of many parts, but "civil engineer" isn't one of them. ..... at least not yet!
Yes, the words civil and Pulaski will never be seen in the same sentence

Patrick
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Think this pic speaks for itself !
Attached Thumbnails American roads-congested-area.jpg