Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American "Positivity"

American "Positivity"

Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:34 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American "Positivity"

IMHO, it's one of 'Their' best and worst traits, some of the time it grates on me, but at other times when a shop assistant takes the time to actually find out if they actually have the f'ing thing I'm asking for, it's great.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
IMHO, it's one of 'Their' best and worst traits, some of the time it grates on me, but at other times when a shop assistant takes the time to actually find out if they actually have the f'ing thing I'm asking for, it's great.

I have found over the years that I can just listen to the parts I want to hear and ignore the rest. I have also learned to be more "positive" about myself as well and it's worked as well . Sometimes you just have to convince yourself that by being that little bit more pushy and self opinionated in certain aspects of your life can work to your advantage.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:29 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have found over the years that I can just listen to the parts I want to hear and ignore the rest. I have also learned to be more "positive" about myself as well and it's worked as well . Sometimes you just have to convince yourself that by being that little bit more pushy and self opinionated in certain aspects of your life can work to your advantage.
I'm trying to practice 'Bullshit baffles brains' a lot more
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Good afternoon everyone.
I know its a Sunday, but I've just become so pissed off by something that I feel compelled to start a thread.
I was home for a few weeks over Christmas and got back last Wednesday. Since then I have become astounded by the moronic way that yanks seem compelled to be positive about everything. For example...
Yank1: "Hey Bob, guess what, I've decided that I don't really use my left hand for much and reckon that its just a waste of time carrying it round as excess weight, so I'm going to cut it off"
Yank2: "That's such a good idea Jed, go for it man"

I mean wtf is this b*ll*cks all about ??

Last night I had a conversation with a yank aquaintance and we were talking about the company golf league. He informed me that he wouldn't be playing this year as every Thursday evening he will be attending MBA classes.
Now I regard this person as a smart individual, but offered an opinion that the college that he would be studying at was a load of sh*te. The pass rate for their MBA, which is not highly ranked is 95%. I told him that I thought he would be better off trying to lower his golf handicap, and not to waste his time (4 years) studyin for a qualification that 95% of students pass. At this point I was attacked for being negative....wtf is that all about. I think it would be a waste of his time as a smart individual to study for this and told him so....isn't that what friends are supposed to do ?? If he didn't like my opinion that's fine, no skin of my nose, but to have a go at me for being negative was a complete load of b*ll/cks.

Anyone else get pissed off by this relentless stupidity, I mean wtf is wrong with saying that something is sh*te if you think that it is sh*te ???

I'm confused here (shut up Rush!) Because you encountered a problem with an aquaintance who didn't like your opinion and felt you were being negative.....every Yank ( ) is a positive freak? That's positively astounding!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm confused here (shut up Rush!) Because you encountered a problem with an aquaintance who didn't like your opinion and felt you were being negative.....every Yank ( ) is a positive freak? That's positively astounding!
Innnn the red corner....
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Innnn the red corner....
Ah gee thanks Gruff, I do like the colo(u)r red.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:43 am

Ah gee thanks Gruff, I do like the colo(u)r red.
It's a boxing expression, it could have been Blue
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a boxing expression, it could have been Blue
Yes, I do know.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Im always positive and upbeat at work...

Car crash victim spewing blood with multiple amputations: "Will I live?"
Me: "'Course you will. Now just sign here...no, under the bit that says I do hereby bequeath all my wordly goods..."
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Im always positive and upbeat at work...

Car crash victim spewing blood with multiple amputations: "Will I live?"
Me: "'Course you will. Now just sign here...no, under the bit that says I do hereby bequeath all my wordly goods..."
If you were really being positive and they asked if they were going to live, you'd ask how good their insurance was.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

If you were really being positive and they asked if they were going to live, you'd ask how good their insurance was.
Im not THAT positive.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Im not THAT positive.
I see, giving false hope then?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:52 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Last night I had a conversation with a yank aquaintance and we were talking about the company golf league. He informed me that he wouldn't be playing this year as every Thursday evening he will be attending MBA classes.
Now I regard this person as a smart individual, but offered an opinion that the college that he would be studying at was a load of sh*te. The pass rate for their MBA, which is not highly ranked is 95%. I told him that I thought he would be better off trying to lower his golf handicap, and not to waste his time (4 years) studyin for a qualification that 95% of students pass. At this point I was attacked for being negative....wtf is that all about. I think it would be a waste of his time as a smart individual to study for this and told him so....isn't that what friends are supposed to do ?? If he didn't like my opinion that's fine, no skin of my nose, but to have a go at me for being negative was a complete load of b*ll/cks.

Anyone else get pissed off by this relentless stupidity, I mean wtf is wrong with saying that something is sh*te if you think that it is sh*te ???
erm ...well I've been here for 9 years and I'm not sure what you are on about......sounds to me like your friend was overly sensitive to your approach rather than overly optimistic about his future.....

Not only do you say you said the college was a load of shite but you admit he was only an acquaintance....what kind of bloody reaction did you expect?? He probably found you to be a right rude bastard...
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good afternoon everyone.
I know its a Sunday, but I've just become so pissed off by something that I feel compelled to start a thread.
I was home for a few weeks over Christmas and got back last Wednesday. Since then I have become astounded by the moronic way that yanks seem compelled to be positive about everything. For example.....................

LOL! Yes - it's irritating, I agree, but if it keeps 'em happy what the heck?
I just have a little grin to myself and think "Dream on!"
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
erm ...well I've been here for 9 years and I'm not sure what you are on about......sounds to me like your friend was overly sensitive to your approach rather than overly optimistic about his future.....

Not only do you say you said the college was a load of shite but you admit he was only an acquaintance....what kind of bloody reaction did you expect?? He probably found you to be a right rude bastard...
You tell 'em CA! There's always enough room on the roasting spit for another person.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.