British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American Office Parties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-office-parties-341753/)

britvic Dec 8th 2005 9:15 pm

Re: American Office Parties

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well, that sucked.
I have come to the conclusion that my job is not for me. For a lot of the people there it seemed like this party would be the highlight of their christmas festivities. For me it was as entertaining as a week in bed with the flu.
Still, that's that til next year - now the real festivities can begin :)

It's just sad, they have no idea do they.

BigDavyG Dec 8th 2005 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
It's just sad, they have no idea do they.

Well, it would be unfair of me to judge but its fair to say that it wasn't my cup of tea.
How anyone could find it exciting or fun is beyond me.

Anyone get the idea that most yanks are too afraid to admit that they are bored or uninterested in anything to do with their jobs. What the **** is wrong with saying no at work or telling someone that you think they're wrong ???

britvic Dec 8th 2005 9:55 pm

Well, it would be unfair of me to judge but its fair to say that it wasn't my cup of tea.

Anyone get the idea that most yanks are too afraid to admit that they are bored or uninterested in anything to do with their jobs. What the **** is wrong with saying no at work or telling someone that you think they're wrong ???

Is it something to do with the saying " 3 less pay cheques and being homeless". We dont go to the Navy do's anymore there pathetic, compared to what they was like back home :(

BigDavyG Dec 8th 2005 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Is it something to do with the saying " 3 less pay cheques and being homeless". We dont go to the Navy do's anymore there pathetic, compared to what they was like back home :(

Its sad to see other people reduced to snivelling, grovelling messes, and a lot of talent going to waste.
not that this doesn't happen back home, but itseems worse here.

Partystar Dec 8th 2005 11:20 pm

Because this is the land of PCness! Most people are too scared to stand out from the crowd or disagree with others. Then along came me! F**k PC!

USBound Dec 9th 2005 2:23 am

well our office party was brilliant, they flew us all, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends everyone to Vegas, paid for hotel rooms and a swankily nice place in the Monte Carlo then plied us with free alchohol for 6 hours whilst playing loud 80's music having a live contortionist (sp) and then 3 hours of "The iron Maidens"...

fantastic night and I didn't spend a penny.

dbj1000 Dec 9th 2005 2:47 am

Originally Posted by USBound
well our office party was brilliant, they flew us all, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends everyone to Vegas, paid for hotel rooms and a swankily nice place in the Monte Carlo then plied us with free alchohol for 6 hours whilst playing loud 80's music having a live contortionist (sp) and then 3 hours of "The iron Maidens"...

Wow!

... you must have pretty impressive bladder control then! :D

anotherlimey Dec 9th 2005 3:00 am

I'm getting something similar this weekend.... but in Atlantic City (not quite Vegas but I'm not complaining)

Rushman Dec 9th 2005 3:30 am

Originally Posted by CarlM
Would you say you were generally happy in your job, Rush?

I was up to 3 weeks ago. then a huge change of proceedure, if it ends up a permanent thing, I'm offski

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 9th 2005 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rushman
I was up to 3 weeks ago. then a huge change of proceedure, if it ends up a permanent thing, I'm offski

You actually now have to do some work?

Celsius Dec 9th 2005 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm getting something similar this weekend.... but in Atlantic City (not quite Vegas but I'm not complaining)

Wouldn't you rather have the money spent per employee on this shindig to be given to you as a bonus?

Rushman Dec 9th 2005 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
You actually now have to do some work?

Well actually...yes. That coupled with the fact that I am now required to work our biggest clients Transport office and its a 90 minute drive eachway (not including the notorious Adirondack weather). The worst thing is nobody will tell me if it's a permanent thing or just a temporary troubleshooting plan.

Those bastards actually expect me to work there. Have you any idea how difficult it is to make your job look harder and appear busier than you really are?

BigDavyG Dec 9th 2005 2:09 pm

OK - thanks for sharing - i feel much better now

Schnorbitz Dec 9th 2005 2:11 pm

Similar thing here; we get a $25 King Soopers voucher. The excitement is intense!

Nia_Nia Dec 9th 2005 2:31 pm

I'm *****ed if I'm going to my work christmas party! There is no way in hell that I'm going to waste one of my evenings spending it with a bunch of sychophantic, two faced, catty gossipy bastards.

Can you believe that when I didn't put my name down for the party due to 'prior obligations' the CEO HIMSELF phoned me and demanded to know why I wasn't going!
I nearly fell off my bloody chair!!! WHAT????? since when do I answer to the bloody CEO about what I do in my spare time?

The whole thing is ridiculous and unneccesary anyway. Everyone knows that work parties area bad idea as usually someone ends up getting drunk and saying/doing something innapropriate and then its just uncomfortable for all concerned. The phrase 'business and pleasure do not mix' is one that should be heeded a bit more in my opinion.