Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American music

American music

Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all
Default Re: American music

[QUOTE=Pimpbot]. There is shite music coming out of the UK just as there is shite music over here.QUOTE]

I agree with this. However stations in the UK don't play old Pink Floyd or Iron Maiden, yet in US you will find that on Classic Rock or the the alternative stations.
I listen to Invica Radio just to keep tabs on what's going on back in the UK charts,

http://www.invictafm.com/

........but it's pretty much the same as over here, Maroon 5, Green Day e.t.c which you get on Kiss FM type stations, but Invicata play the British artists who get no exposure over here, for example Athlete, Snow Patrol and the Shapeshifters Recently I was in the UK and the record played to death on the radio was "I Like The Way You Move" by the Bodyrockers. It will probably make it over here in a few months, its a great dance anthem.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ImHere
Great shame Falco couldnt drive very well...even if he was Austrian.
Didn't he play for Spurs in the 80s ?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:04 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Have you listened to Radio 1 lately?. Virgin was about the only semi decent radio station in the UK and if you listened to it for about two to three hours a day, you'd hear repeated music all the time. There is shite music coming out of the UK just as there is shite music over here. It took me a long time to find a radio station that I could keep on in the car for more than two songs without turning the dial, because there is so many to choose from, well at least there is in my area. Now I've found one that I can keep on all day, it's just the ad breaks that get annoying because some last for 10 plus minutes.
Afternoon R1 is shite yes. But the evening stuff is miles ahead of anything over here and you don't have to listen to car ads every 7 mins. Even the couple of channels that specialize in rock or 70's/80's rotate the same stuff every couple of hours in my city. I'm glad you have a choice though, unfortunitley I am limited...the bombardment of ads would still keep me from listening though, as it has done with watching American telly.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:28 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You live where you can get decent "terrestrial" stations; I agree, Nic Harcourt's Morning Becomes Eclectic is great (doesn't hurt that he's British).<<snip>>
I have to put in a good word for KCRW in California (even though I can't listen to it. Don't know if they do an internet feed) because they produce a series of live albums called "Sounds Eclectic" and I bought one of the series. It was very good.

WKNC (NC State's station) plays a really odd mix of music including non-English language music. I get best reception in the car

However, I like WXYC (UNC @ Chapel Hill) programs better. Yet again, I get best reception in the car.

Just discovered that WXYC broadcasts over the internet! I'm so happy and I'm listening to the station now. They just played "Pump Up the Volume" and are following it with "Im Nin Alu" (spelling?). I'm going on a nostalgia trip...

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jun 15th 2005 at 1:12 am.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:07 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I have to put in a good word for KCRW in California (even though I can't listen to it. Don't know if they do an internet feed) because they produce a series of live albums called "Sounds Eclectic" and I bought one of the series. It was very good.
KCRW is where Nic Harcourt presents Morning Becomes Eclectic and I would guess that "Sounds Eclectic" is a compilation of his live sessions. Only KCRW and KEXP in Seattle are known for doing serious live sessions with bands who are in town.

KROX in LA has inordinate sway over the "alternative.com" market and its playlists are used across the country. They have a yearly Weenie Roast and a Christmas "Almost Acoustic". Not nearly as truly alternative or eclectic as KCRW, but still better than most US radio.

I have to put in a word for Eklektikos, a programme done here in Austin on KUT 90.5 -- you can web stream it. Truly all over the map -- classical to Mogwai to world music to folk to .... ?

I believe you can stream the MBE audio AND video.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to listen to KOIT and you hear the same songs every single day. Chicago, Madonna (Holiday seems to be a favourite, or La Isla Bonita), Bette Midler and Savage Garden.

Drives me mental

I usually have Virgin Radio playing whenever I'm at my computer - at least you get a reasonable idea of what new stuff is available if you listen to them. I've never heard a song less than about 5 years old on KOIT. Plus you get decent news updates.