Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American music

American music

Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:15 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: American music

Originally Posted by ImHere
Dont you have digital radio? The one in my truck shows the name of the Artiste and the song while its playing. Maybe thats a Floridian thing.
Me 'n' the Hubster got ourselves Sirius as it was on special offer in Radio Shack.

Sure beats the hell out of regular radio stations!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:28 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Great shame Falco couldnt drive very well...even if he was Austrian.
Aye but it's all the same isnt it?
...hmm maybe I've been over here too long.

By the way, did you know Hitler wasnt even a German citizen?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

You can't deny that America has produced many of the greatest bands/artists ever. From Elvis to Johnny Cash, Phil Spector, Nirvana, Public Enemy, the list is friggin endless....

However, turn on the f*&^$ng radio it's like my car and it's 6 CD changer. Same old dross reguritating over and bloody over. Honestly, music is becoming so homogonised and bland and uninspiring, no wonder radio station listening figures are heading down the U-bend.

And as for eMpTyV - don't even get me started, no they don't sctually play any music, it's all 'Real World' and all that crap. MTV ain't much better, they play that green day / blink 182 bollox or 50 cent/mariah carey falvour of the month, same rotaiton of the same songs

And as for green day, Snuff were doing it 10 years ago and 10 times better...
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:37 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Me 'n' the Hubster got ourselves Sirius as it was on special offer in Radio Shack.

Sure beats the hell out of regular radio stations!
I was asked by someone back in Blighty if we could get Sky on the satellite radio....they still think I watch Sky Sports in my truck. Bless em.

Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:49 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

The local classic rock station has the rather dubious honour of actually making me sick of hearing Led Zeppelin, something which i've only recently got over. It's that they seemed to think that the bands catalogue consisted of 5 songs, which they played over and over. Funny thing is though I would have to say at a rough guess that about 70% of what they play is by British acts. And it's probably even more with the oldies station who's output seems to consist of British Invasion and Motown records.
Looking forward to the Pink Floyd reunion though. I wonder if they'll get Syd involved as well
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:05 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There's got to be a handful of college radio stations in the Boston area. They'd have a more varied and eclectic selection of music. Maybe you'll find a station you'll like better than the commercial stuff.
WFNX was very good the last time I was in Boston.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
I pretty much detest all the music over here. The radio is nauseating and the bands are repetitvely churning out the same drivel. At least U.K. stations play tracks from outside the top 10 and don't play the same song 50 times a day...Green F ucking day anyone?
Have you listened to Radio 1 lately?. Virgin was about the only semi decent radio station in the UK and if you listened to it for about two to three hours a day, you'd hear repeated music all the time. There is shite music coming out of the UK just as there is shite music over here. It took me a long time to find a radio station that I could keep on in the car for more than two songs without turning the dial, because there is so many to choose from, well at least there is in my area. Now I've found one that I can keep on all day, it's just the ad breaks that get annoying because some last for 10 plus minutes.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:07 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Moby and he was great when we saw him in concert. As far as radio goes - Jonesy's Jukebox on 103.1 Indie rock station in LA hosted by Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols or Morning becomes eclectic on NPR KCRW.
It's kinda like when people say TV is crap when there are great educational and informative TV shows on HBO, Discovery, Public TV etc.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:19 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
I really like Moby and he was great when we saw him in concert.
His new CD rocks. I think it's the best he's done to date. I love the bonus Ambient disc as well. Awesome.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get any radio reception here, it's pretty naff, filled with adds and a playlist that repeats after 20 mins and consists of the top 10 chart type music, or country music...what is it, clearwater? there shite.

Lot of music is a bit shite these days, but there are some cool bands, which now seem to be getting way to much air time though...
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:03 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya

However, turn on the f*&^$ng radio it's like my car and it's 6 CD changer. Same old dross reguritating over and bloody over. Honestly, music is becoming so homogonised and bland and uninspiring, no wonder radio station listening figures are heading down the U-bend.
Clear Channel. One True Playlist. The loss of local control over stations. Try, just try to get a song played on the radio.... some stations don't bother ever answering the phone. Leaving your request on voice mail somehow isn't very satisfying.

The homogenisation and Walmartisation of America.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:09 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by tomelina
I really like Moby and he was great when we saw him in concert. As far as radio goes - Jonesy's Jukebox on 103.1 Indie rock station in LA hosted by Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols or Morning becomes eclectic on NPR KCRW.
It's kinda like when people say TV is crap when there are great educational and informative TV shows on HBO, Discovery, Public TV etc.
You live where you can get decent "terrestrial" stations; I agree, Nic Harcourt's Morning Becomes Eclectic is great (doesn't hurt that he's British).

Even here in Austin where for a week every year, the media the world over broadcasts live all of the finest new music they can find (SXSW), we have dross dross dross.

There are only a handful of good independent stations out there, KEXP in Seattle being one of them.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, if you get fed up with the music there is always ESPN radio. I often listen to the Dan Patrick show at lunch and Diamondbacks games on the way home from work when they are playing on the east coast.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:38 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
WFNX was very good the last time I was in Boston.
I'll put that on for the drive down to immigration today.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:02 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Of course, if you get fed up with the music there is always ESPN radio. I often listen to the Dan Patrick show at lunch and Diamondbacks games on the way home from work when they are playing on the east coast.

Come on are you serious? Baseball is boring even on TV or at a live game, you want to be careful you don't fall asleep at the wheel and kill someone listening to baseball on the radio!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.