Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Men

American Men

Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:10 pm
warksgirl

Default American Men

I hope I don't offend anybody who might post here, but...

Is it me, or do lots of American men have hang ups and feel they need a "macho" image? Maybe it's just superficial and underneath they're ok. But they seem to brag a lot, especially about their possessions, as if they have to prove something. I've heard some call their wives their "old lady"! My husband better not ever call me that, or I'll knock him all the back across the pond!

British men overall seem much more at ease with themselves.

I know it's wrong to generalize and there are as many good yanks as there are yobs. I can't seem to put my finger exactly on what it is. Maybe I'm just suffering from culture shock?

Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:33 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Men

I've heard plenty of men in Warwickshire call their wives their 'old lady' and probably worse. Depends how pikey you are........
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warksgirl
Maybe I'm just suffering from culture shock?
Or hanging with the wrong crowd.
Want me to describe some of the charming British men I met in Faliraki?
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

Could not agree with u more!! All this big hunting, fishing etc macho rubbish!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

But they seem to brag a lot, especially about their possessions, as if they have to prove something.
It's called materialism, and it's rife here, but rest assured it's not limited to the male gender, the females do it too, just say the word BMW or Mercedes to a girl and she'll go weak at the knees.

It happens in Britain too, just not as much. (I hope)

-tom
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:30 pm
warksgirl

It's called materialism, and it's rife here
Maybe that's a bit of what it is. People thrusting in your face what they have instead of what they're about.

Do they know what they're about? Are they about things?

This stuff worries me. I have the ability to pick through it, but I don't want my boys to turn out like that.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:32 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I don't offend anybody who might post here, but...

Is it me, or do lots of American men have hang ups and feel they need a "macho" image? Maybe it's just superficial and underneath they're ok. But they seem to brag a lot, especially about their possessions, as if they have to prove something. I've heard some call their wives their "old lady"! My husband better not ever call me that, or I'll knock him all the back across the pond!

British men overall seem much more at ease with themselves.

I know it's wrong to generalize and there are as many good yanks as there are yobs. I can't seem to put my finger exactly on what it is. Maybe I'm just suffering from culture shock?
you mean compared to the uk males who think there not a man unless they go down the local pub and get drunk on a friday and saturday night.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean,

Think American men feel the need to prove they are not gay, the amount of comments that were made when I wore a Lilac shirt to work, I had to explain that it was quite a fashionable colour to wear. They were not buying it said it must be a 'Brit Thing'.

Think its the whole bigger, faster, higher, better, stronger american way of life thats the problem with Americans.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:36 pm
warksgirl

Did you wear the Lilac shirt again?

Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbutt
I know what you mean,

Think American men feel the need to prove they are not gay,
I agree, I don't think I've ever met a heterosexual non-homophobic person here yet, although they'll always deny it.

-tom
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure I heard someone say that they were popping out for a fag though!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
I am sure I heard someone say that they were popping out for a fag though!
I think it was "Can I bum a fag off you" !!

-tom
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:55 pm
warksgirl

This is all very interesting!

I just noticed this macho thingy. My husband's not like that. and it surprised me. He's quite liberal and open-minded. So it surprised me when we got here to see the behaviour of some other men.

I don't think the macho thing is appealing at all. And it's not the kind of thing I like to influence my sons.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I agree, I don't think I've ever met a heterosexual non-homophobic person here yet, although they'll always deny it.

-tom
oh my god.
Did it ever occur to you that you're finding what you expect to see?
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbutt
I know what you mean,

Think American men feel the need to prove they are not gay, the amount of comments that were made when I wore a Lilac shirt to work, I had to explain that it was quite a fashionable colour to wear. They were not buying it said it must be a 'Brit Thing'.

Think its the whole bigger, faster, higher, better, stronger american way of life thats the problem with Americans.
The bigger is better mentality could be the ruin of Americans/America. Being overweight/obese through eating supersize meals that are cheap is not the way to go (unless it's an early grave you're seeking).

The machoness that some American men seek to achieve is probably drilled into them through their Christian and religious beliefs.

Having GI Joe, Ken (as in Barbie's Ken) and media images like WWF wrestlers probably magnifies the relentless moulding of American men as manly men and nothing else will do.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.