Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are American less patient than Brits?

Are American less patient than Brits?

Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are American less patient than Brits?

Just a few observations, currently living in NJ very close to NYC.

1. Getting in elevators, normally Brits wait for people to get out before attempting to enter right?
2. Letting person in adjacent bus seat get off first
3. Waiting until its safe to pass
4. Personal space, people walking way too close unnecessarily
5. People grabbing items in the supermarket that you were obviously about to grab
6. People attempting to cut the line
7. Not giving way to even elderly people at crosswalks
8. When you stop at a ped crossing for an elderly person the car behind tries to "go around" almost hitting said pedestrian and honks out of impatience

Does anybody else experience this? It London the same ? Wondering if I can even get used to this or will I have to move out into the sticks to get away from it :P
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are American less patient than Brits?

That's exactly how it is here in the Philippines! Plus of course most drivers have never had a lesson or taken a driving test.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:47 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Wondering if I can even get used to this or will I have to move out into the sticks to get away from it :P
If you have to ask...
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quiltman
That's exactly how it is here in the Philippines! Plus of course most drivers have never had a lesson or taken a driving test.
Are you in the USA now or Philippines? I've heard about the drug wars going on over there.

I'm sure things like litter, noise and a lack of politeness are secondary concerns though right?
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Getting in elevators, normally Brits wait for people to get out before attempting to enter right?
5. People grabbing items in the supermarket that you were obviously about to grab
8. When you stop at a ped crossing for an elderly person the car behind tries to "go around" almost hitting said pedestrian and honks out of impatience

Does anybody else experience this? It London the same ? Wondering if I can even get used to this or will I have to move out into the sticks to get away from it :P
If you feel like this about New Jersey you are going to love Manhattan ...
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
If you feel like this about New Jersey you are going to love Manhattan ...
I actually made that post after commuting back from Manhattan I am thinking of moving to western NJ and working in NJ instead of NYC (with a pay cut)

How is life on the west coast?

Last edited by britinusa777777755; Aug 29th 2017 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I actually made that post after commuting back from Manhattan I am thinking of moving to western NJ and working in NJ instead of NYC (with a pay cut)

How is life on the west coast?
I was just going to say...you must live in a different part of NJ than me.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Relobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds just like Paris.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relobotomy
Sounds just like Paris.
Sounds like any big city, really. It's the same in Chicago. Anywhere you've got millions of people all in a rush and in each others' way.

Up here in the suburbs it's a bit quieter though, so that's nice. Driving still tends to be the worst though for impatience, and I'm just as guilty of that as anyone is. When I have to drive in and around the city I turn into a raging knob-end, but that's because if you don't you'll never get where you need to go.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds JUST like everyday life in London especially commuting to Canary Wharf.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a different culture. Here, it's not considered rude. It's just normal.

All your 7s are going to give me a seizure, btw.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No. Your sample is very small and highly localized.

You wouldn't expect London to be the same as Harrogate, Penzance, or Inverness, and your experience, presumably in one town in NJ is not necessarily typical of a country of 325million people.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's just a different culture. Here, it's not considered rude. It's just normal. ....
Maybe where you live, but where I live I am probably guilty of a couple of those things as viewed from the perspective of the locals here (car horns are rarely heard here, "passing" in a car is almost unheard of). . If transplants from NJ and NY who come down here don't adjust pretty quickly then they are rightly branded as "obnoxious yankees".

FWIW the "yield to people on the crosswalk law" is rarely ignored here, though many pedestrians are reluctant to put it to the test. I have no such concerns about marching determinedly onto even a non-controlled crosswalk comfortable that vehicles will stop .... but prepared to scarper if they don't. That said, I always try to cross the road without inconveniencing vehicles if I can.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 29th 2017 at 1:55 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No. Your sample is very small and highly localized.

You wouldn't expect London to be the same as Harrogate, Penzance, or Inverness, and your experience, presumably in one town in NJ is typical of a country of 325millioj people.
Amazingly though, generalization as it may be, most Americans can spell 'million' ...

Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Amazingly though, generalization as it may be, most Americans can spell 'million' .....
I can also proof read and correct my post, which I did a few seconds after I posted it.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:51 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can also proof read and correct my post, which I did a few seconds after I posted it.
Doesn't matter, I still saw it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.