Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American High schools

American High schools

Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:29 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Cazza_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile American High schools

Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction on information relating to High schools in the US/Colorado. My family and I are moving to Colorado this year and I am trying to find out about the education system there to see how different it is with the UK. My daughter at present is 14 and I believe she will start in year 10 when the school year commences in August in the US.
I am looking to find the most suitable/best school for my daughter in Colorado and have been trying to locate some statistics/results for schools and havent had much look on the internet!
Id be most grateful for any information/links/websites which would help me in making the right choice on a high school as I feel it is very important finding the right school!

Many thanks
Cazza_x is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:40 pm
  #2  
Chocoholic !
 
ChocolateBabz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX - Officially Not Shit since 2009
Posts: 2,315
ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

Try these two to start you off www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/ and www.greatschools.org/.
ChocolateBabz is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:06 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 13
HampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really niceHampshireUK is just really nice
Default Re: American High schools

Hi Cazza

We moved to Colorado last summer and spent the best part of the previous year researching schools in the South Denver metro area.

Happy to share our experiences. Any idea which part of Colorado you're likely to be moving to? There are good and not so good schools and the location of work will certainly impact where you'll want to live as far as commuting is concerned.

In Colorado the schools are organized into school districts -some are extemely well funded and some are struggling. Two of the best in my area are Cherry Creek School District and Douglas County School District, both have great websites. Colorado has an annual testing system called CSAPs which children in Middle School and below take each year. Tests are in Math, English and Science - these are then reported for each school and allows schools to be compared. Trouble is those schools in well funded middle class areas do well and those in poorer areas typically do less well. This site should help you at least understand where and what the school districts are!

http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_parentstudent.htm

I'm guessing your daughter is currently in year 9 in the UK, same as my daughter would have been so she'd be starting as a Freshman in High School this August (9th grade).

Let me know which part of Colorado you're coming to and I'll try and help further.
HampshireUK is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:06 pm
  #4  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 11,096
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

How about SchoolVIEW from the Colorado Department of Education. http://www.schoolview.org/
If you click on the green link (Access) you get reports on each school district and each school..
robin1234 is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:18 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Cazza_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American High schools

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
Try these two to start you off www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/ and www.greatschools.org/.
Thank you for these links they will be really useful
Cazza_x is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:23 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Cazza_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American High schools

Originally Posted by HampshireUK View Post
Hi Cazza

We moved to Colorado last summer and spent the best part of the previous year researching schools in the South Denver metro area.

Happy to share our experiences. Any idea which part of Colorado you're likely to be moving to? There are good and not so good schools and the location of work will certainly impact where you'll want to live as far as commuting is concerned.

In Colorado the schools are organized into school districts -some are extemely well funded and some are struggling. Two of the best in my area are Cherry Creek School District and Douglas County School District, both have great websites. Colorado has an annual testing system called CSAPs which children in Middle School and below take each year. Tests are in Math, English and Science - these are then reported for each school and allows schools to be compared. Trouble is those schools in well funded middle class areas do well and those in poorer areas typically do less well. This site should help you at least understand where and what the school districts are!

http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_parentstudent.htm

I'm guessing your daughter is currently in year 9 in the UK, same as my daughter would have been so she'd be starting as a Freshman in High School this August (9th grade).

Let me know which part of Colorado you're coming to and I'll try and help further.
Thank you for your reply. We are moving to Fort Collins and my daughter is in year 10 now in her uk school and will be 15 in August. :-)
Cazza_x is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:10 pm
  #7  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,729
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

city data is a good spot for general info and you'll want to know about the neighbour you fancy moving to because the zip code will determine which schools you go do.

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:13 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
dickobrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American High schools

Hello, I've lived in Ft Collins for 10 years (from Nottingham via Bristol and San Francisco) and have put three children through one of the high schools. A good starting point is the Poudre School District web site and especially the [I]Information for Families New to PSD[I] link at http://www.psd.k12.co.us/node/3957.

There are four mainstream high schools - Poudre, Rocky Mountain, Fort Collins and Fossil Ridge. Each has its own catchment area. In theory, you can attend any, but only on a space-available basis. Note that these are much larger than British schools, typically 1600-2000 students.

Each schools has its own unique features, but they all follow a similar curriculum except Poudre, which offers International Baccalaureate classes. As these schools start at about 7-40am and Ft Collins so-so public transport is more designed around Colorado State University, I'd plan on your daughter attending the nearest school to where you end up living ... or find somewhere close to the school you choose.

Hope this helps
dickobrit is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:24 pm
  #9  
Boomshacalaca!!
 
Tarkak9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: South of the North Pole.......Colorado
Posts: 5,039
Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

Hi Cazza

Fort Collins is in the Poudre School District. - http://www.psdschools.org/
Since Loveland and Fort Collins are sooo close (that you pretty much leave one and enter the other w/o really realizing it) they do have separate school districts.
Loveland's school district is the Thompson http://www.thompson.k12.co.us/

What I advise my clients is to direct specific questions/concerns to the school district, talk to the teachers etc, and chat with the locals per se!! Let me know if you need further help.
Tarkak9 is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:47 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: From a beautiful part of Scotland, now in Colorado
Posts: 265
MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

Originally Posted by Cazza_x View Post
Thank you for your reply. We are moving to Fort Collins and my daughter is in year 10 now in her uk school and will be 15 in August. :-)
I live in Fort Collins. The bulk of the town seems to fall into Poudre School District, though parts of the south end fall into Loveland (Thompson). Poudre schools seem to be held in slightly higher regard than Loveland, though I get the impression Loveland schools are still okay. Fossil Ridge seems to be particularly well thought of - I think it might be the newest school.

Can't tell you much more on the schools as I don't have kids but happy to give any other Fort Collins info you need.
MadRad is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:50 pm
  #11  
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,352
avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

Hi Cazza,

Just some terminology advice to help you:

It won't be called "year 10" here but rather "tenth grade". Each grade level in high school also has its own label:

ninth grade - freshman year - student is called a freshman or ninth grader
tenth grade - sophomore year - student is called a sophomore or tenth grader
eleventh grade - junior year - (etc)
twelfth grade - senior year - (etc)

Students typically graduate around their 18th birthday, give or take a few months depending on when they were born. Most students will turn 18 during their senior year. But this can vary by school and student.
avanutria is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:21 pm
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
penguinsix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong, mostly.
Posts: 5,105
penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

We have a wiki on the basic process

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...s_in_school%3F

Is she planning on university in the USA or the UK?
penguinsix is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:09 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Cazza_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: American High schools

Originally Posted by dickobrit View Post
Hello, I've lived in Ft Collins for 10 years (from Nottingham via Bristol and San Francisco) and have put three children through one of the high schools. A good starting point is the Poudre School District web site and especially the [I]Information for Families New to PSD[I] link at http://www.psd.k12.co.us/node/3957.

There are four mainstream high schools - Poudre, Rocky Mountain, Fort Collins and Fossil Ridge. Each has its own catchment area. In theory, you can attend any, but only on a space-available basis. Note that these are much larger than British schools, typically 1600-2000 students.

Each schools has its own unique features, but they all follow a similar curriculum except Poudre, which offers International Baccalaureate classes. As these schools start at about 7-40am and Ft Collins so-so public transport is more designed around Colorado State University, I'd plan on your daughter attending the nearest school to where you end up living ... or find somewhere close to the school you choose.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the information!

Which High school/s did your 3 children go too and Have they ever studied in the UK before moving to Fort Collins?

Many thanks
Cazza_x is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:29 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Cazza_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: American High schools

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
We have a wiki on the basic process

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...s_in_school%3F

Is she planning on university in the USA or the UK?
Shes not sure if she would like to stay on for university as yet but we we are hoping she will and we are intending to stay in the US permantely so it would be a USA university!

Do you think there is much difference between a USA university and a Uk one?
Thanks
Cazza_x is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:14 pm
  #15  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American High schools

Originally Posted by Cazza_x View Post
Shes not sure if she would like to stay on for university as yet but we we are hoping she will and we are intending to stay in the US permantely so it would be a USA university!

Do you think there is much difference between a USA university and a Uk one?
Thanks
This thread has taken a turn that will be helpful for your question: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9226778
meauxna is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.