Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American headed for England

American headed for England

Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American headed for England

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I thought you needed to be a citizen of an EU country to be able to enter the UK on those terms?
That's because most of us do not have a clue but do not want to seem unhelpful
That is how your post read, like you were trying to help but did not really know.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
You definitely need to be an EU citizen to have rights of free movement and residence in the UK. What was mentioned will give rights in Germany but not in the UK. If no other route to live in the UK can be found, a desperate person could go to live in Germany and when and if eligible, apply for German citizenship, which would give right of settlement in the UK.
Incidentally, another possible route is to be a family member of an EEA national, in which case UK residency can be obtained through the EEA Family Permit scheme. Possibly relevant to the OP if he has a German family member (although the family member would have to be moving to the UK with him).
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely need to be an EU citizen to have rights of free movement and residence in the UK. What was mentioned will give rights in Germany but not in the UK. If no other route to live in the UK can be found, a desperate person could go to live in Germany and when and if eligible, apply for German citizenship, which would give right of settlement in the UK.
Except that:

- German residency may have expired if too long out of the country; and
- it could take up to 8 years to qualify for German citizenship; and
- under current German law, he would probably have to go to the US Embassy and sign away his American citizenship (irreversible).
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Incidentally, another possible route is to be a family member of an EEA national, in which case UK residency can be obtained through the EEA Family Permit scheme. Possibly relevant to the OP if he has a German family member (although the family member would have to be moving to the UK with him).
Doesn't the family member have to be a spouse/unmarried partner/civil partner or child? It can't be a parent or sibling can it?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that:

- German residency may have expired if too long out of the country; and
- it could take up to 8 years to qualify for German citizenship; and
- under current German law, he would probably have to go to the US Embassy and sign away his American citizenship (irreversible).
Germany doesn't allow dual still? I thought they might have relaxed that by now. The only other country I can think that don't allow is India. Oz used to not allow but changed that quite a few years ago.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Germany doesn't allow dual still? I thought they might have relaxed that by now. The only other country I can think that don't allow is India. Oz used to not allow but changed that quite a few years ago.
Belgium didn't allow dual citizenship until a couple of years ago. The EU overturned the rule...according to my friend who now has Belgium/US citizenship.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're German, you can apply for a permit to allow you to get another citizenship, without it, you'd lose German citizenship if you acquired another. I've no idea about if you wanted to acquire German citizenship, they might not allow it.

China and Japan have weird citizenship laws too.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
That is how your post read, like you were trying to help but did not really know.
Well I hadn't intended it to be ambiguous. I guess that'll teach me for trying to be a sarcastic smarty pants!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:30 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
China and Japan have weird citizenship laws too.
Yes...my half-British, half-Japanese niece will have to decide which citizenship she wants to retain when she turns 22 or so.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're German, you can apply for a permit to allow you to get another citizenship, without it, you'd lose German citizenship if you acquired another.
My nephew-in-law is German. Getting the permit is far from straightforward and by no means are they granted without good reason. He intends to just get his US citizenship. Apparently he says when it comes to dual citizenship Germany has a don't ask, don't tell policy.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Yes...my half-British, half-Japanese niece will have to decide which citizenship she wants to retain when she turns 22 or so.
It's 18 when you have to chose, but you don't need to show officially that you've renounced the other citizenship till you are 22 or 23 to maintain Japanese citizenship.

Where it gets ambiguousness though, if you're never asked to show proof that you've renounced or started the process, you don't automatically lose Japanese citizenship, but showing allegiance, such as getting a foreign passport would mean forfeiting it....so getting a UK passport before you're 22/23 would give you 10 years to play around with I suppose, or you could just travel on your Japanese passport if you aren't settling in the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lansbury
My nephew-in-law is German. Getting the permit is far from straightforward and by no means are they granted without good reason. He intends to just get his US citizenship. Apparently he says when it comes to dual citizenship Germany has a don't ask, don't tell policy.
Good luck to him!

If nothing, the Germans do love their red tape and I wouldn't want to put that to the test
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Unless things have changed in the last 12 months, Germany does, but it depends on the order in which citizenships are acquired/birth-righted. (I know, that's not a word....I can't think of the correct word.)