Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American gal....for now?

Wikiposts

American gal....for now?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:18 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: American gal....for now?

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Just now I looked at the "things I like about the UK'" threads and half the time I didn't recognise the UK either!
ROFL!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American gal....for now?

Originally Posted by Mallory
Well, I had to have a look too. Very amusing. Some things they miss:

Huge drug stores
Hershey bars
Bagels
Rye bread
Proper showers
Overall cleanliness and hygiene
Laundry detergent
Big houses
Sunshine
Target
Thick milk shakes
People that smile
Radio stations with music
Diners for breakfast
Drive-through banks
Easter egg hunts
Proper Mexican food
Big car parks
Baseball

I stopped after the 3rd page!
and who would want half on that list.....hershey bars oh pleezzee, baseball, rye bread, diners for breakfast, drive through banks - the lazy sods.... etc etc you can keep 'em the only thing on that list i'd agree with is nice big showers.

yes, very amusing as you say.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Just now I looked at the "things I like about the UK'" threads and half the time I didn't recognise the UK either!
omg you've been gone far too long
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:23 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg you've been gone far too long
I think it was the small village stuff. I haven't lived in a village since I was a teenager and I absolutely hated it. I grew up in the back of beyond in Hampshire.
I prefer cities.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

and who would want half on that list.....hershey bars oh pleezzee, baseball, rye bread, diners for breakfast, drive through banks - the lazy sods.... etc etc you can keep 'em the only thing on that list i'd agree with is nice big showers.

Radio stations with music???????????

I agree overall cleanliness is better here - and big car parks.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:27 am
Account Closed

I think it was the small village stuff. I haven't lived in a village since I was a teenager and I absolutely hated it. I grew up in the back of beyond in Hampshire.
I prefer cities.
how long have you lived over here or away from the UK?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see...

Huge drug stores--AGREE

Hershey bars--AGREE, but who wants one when Cadbury's are around?

Bagels----AGREE, sort of. UK bagels are made of sugar and sawdust.

Proper showers----AGREE, sort of. Guess they mean firehouse strength.

Overall cleanliness and hygiene--AGREE. 'Shabby' is commonly used by a lot of my US expat friends.

Thick milk shakes--AGREE

Diners for breakfast--AGREE, well at least someplace where I can get good pancakes and not just that Dutch place in Chelsea.

Proper Mexican food--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE

(lack of good Mexican food is a common complaint of American expats pretty much all over the world).
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Well the bit that got me was the overall Cleanliness & Hygiene comment "yeah right dont make me laugh" not in these parts.

Last edited by britvic; Aug 8th 2007 at 5:31 am.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally
Radio stations with music???????????

I agree overall cleanliness is better here - and big car parks.
perhaps the cleanliness is better where you are sally but not here, right dirty dump it is.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Let's see...

Huge drug stores--AGREE

Hershey bars--AGREE, but who wants one when Cadbury's are around?

Bagels----AGREE, sort of. UK bagels are made of sugar and sawdust.

Proper showers----AGREE, sort of. Guess they mean firehouse strength.

Overall cleanliness and hygiene--AGREE. 'Shabby' is commonly used by a lot of my US expat friends.

Thick milk shakes--AGREE

Diners for breakfast--AGREE, well at least someplace where I can get good pancakes and not just that Dutch place in Chelsea.

Proper Mexican food--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE--AGREE

(lack of good Mexican food is a common complaint of American expats pretty much all over the world).
It's like Indian here
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:30 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

how long have you lived over here or away from the UK?
We moved here in Oct 2005. Before that we lived for 18 years on the Wirral and before that we were in North London. I have also lived in Brighton and I was born in Leeds.
I just found it very boring growing up in a small Hampshire village. It was beautiful...thatched cottages, country pubs etc but I wouldn't want to live there again.
Now Liverpool and the Wirral.. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:31 am
Account Closed

perhaps the cleanliness is better where you are sally but not here, right dirty dump it is.
Oh - the nice bits are really nice and clean and kept very well, of course the bad bits are really terrible.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:31 am
Who?

Originally Posted by Sally
It's like Indian here
But someone on that thread was moaning that the Indian food wasn't as good as in the US! I have never had good Indian food here unless I make it myself.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:32 am
Account Closed

We moved here in Oct 2005. Before that we lived for 18 years on the Wirral and before that we were in North London. I have also lived in Brighton and I was born in Leeds.
I just found it very boring growing up in a small Hampshire village. It was beautiful...thatched cottages, country pubs etc but I wouldn't want to live there again.
Now Liverpool and the Wirral.. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
i didn't know you were from liverpool? so another scouser

my brother lives over the water.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:34 am
Who?

i didn't know you were from liverpool? so another scouser

my brother lives over the water.
Well I am not "from" Liverpool. I am just an honourary scouser.
I loved living there, I love the city, the coastline...everything. It will always be home for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.