Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Football = Rugby for pansies.

American Football = Rugby for pansies.

Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:33 pm
Owdhamer

Default American Football = Rugby for pansies.

The weather turned for the worse here yesterday, and we got an amazing 1 inch of rain. So 90% of the high school American football games got called off, "because the players might get injured on the muddy ground".

When I was a kid that was half the fun, playing football or rugby on a muddy field.

This country becomes more of a nanny nation with each passing day.

Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:17 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Football = Rugby for pansies.

Football is not rugby with padding. The game is different and a lot of injuries occur. There were 3 fatalities last year, not to mention countless other injuries.

High School

A 16 year-old high school football player was injured in a game on September 16, 2005, while blocking on a kick-off. He received a brain injury and died on September 23, 2005. The athlete lowered his helmet into the chest of the opponent. Surgery was performed to relieve pressure on the brain and the player never recovered consciousness.
An 18 year-old high school football player was injured in a game on October 29, 2005, when he was being blocked. He received a brain injury and died on November 15, 2005. He was a linebacker and was blocked with an unsuspected blow to the head at the end of the game. He had surgery to relieve pressure on the brain.

Professional

A 26 year-old professional arena football player was injured in a game and died on April 9, 2005. He was tackling on a kick-off with his head down and the leg of the ball carrier or blocker struck him in the helmeted head. He received a fractured cervical vertebra.

How many rugby fatalities were there last year?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:23 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Just like boxing gloves, the pads are to protect the hitter, not the hittee. The result is that you get hit much harder in American football and get injuries that are more serious. I suspect though, that the decision is actually made to protect the pitch.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a number of occasions when I have seen the helmet used as a battering ram. Me thinks second thoughts might be applied without it.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:29 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake

It's interesting that if you measure sport in fatalities...golf is the most dangerous sport
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:46 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Put a crash helmet on an idiot he'll think himself invincible. A lot is technique poor coaching can kill I was once told to keep my head up in a tackle I told the teacher to get knotted I liked walking.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:03 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Football is not rugby with padding. The game is different and a lot of injuries occur. There were 3 fatalities last year, not to mention countless other injuries.

High School

A 16 year-old high school football player was injured in a game on September 16, 2005, while blocking on a kick-off. He received a brain injury and died on September 23, 2005. The athlete lowered his helmet into the chest of the opponent. Surgery was performed to relieve pressure on the brain and the player never recovered consciousness.
An 18 year-old high school football player was injured in a game on October 29, 2005, when he was being blocked. He received a brain injury and died on November 15, 2005. He was a linebacker and was blocked with an unsuspected blow to the head at the end of the game. He had surgery to relieve pressure on the brain.

Professional

A 26 year-old professional arena football player was injured in a game and died on April 9, 2005. He was tackling on a kick-off with his head down and the leg of the ball carrier or blocker struck him in the helmeted head. He received a fractured cervical vertebra.

We go to our high school football games and I am amazed we haven't seen some serious injuries. I have to close my eyes sometimes when they all crash into each other....I'm sure there is a technical term but I don't understand football.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thydney
Put a crash helmet on an idiot he'll think himself invincible. A lot is technique poor coaching can kill I was once told to keep my head up in a tackle I told the teacher to get knotted I liked walking.
Whe we were kids, we played "murderball".
That was fun - US football tactics with Rugby rules (or lack of).
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:59 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owdhamer
The weather turned for the worse here yesterday, and we got an amazing 1 inch of rain. So 90% of the high school American football games got called off, "because the players might get injured on the muddy ground".

When I was a kid that was half the fun, playing football or rugby on a muddy field.

This country becomes more of a nanny nation with each passing day.
Don't lump everyone together and don't forget the likelihood of lawsuits.

Games, whether it be football, baseball or soccer, don't get cancelled unless there is thunder and lightening, or there has been so much rain after a very dry spell and the pitch becomes waterlogged. this happened this year where we had 3 days of solid rain after a very dry summer. Our back garden was a swimming pool and the football game was not cancelled until the very last minute that it could be.

The kids here generally play come rain, sleet or snow but games have to be cancelled if there is any hint of thunder and lightening.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:43 pm
Owdhamer

Originally Posted by Ben
Don't lump everyone together and don't forget the likelihood of lawsuits.

Games, whether it be football, baseball or soccer, don't get cancelled unless there is thunder and lightening, or there has been so much rain after a very dry spell and the pitch becomes waterlogged. this happened this year where we had 3 days of solid rain after a very dry summer. Our back garden was a swimming pool and the football game was not cancelled until the very last minute that it could be.

The kids here generally play come rain, sleet or snow but games have to be cancelled if there is any hint of thunder and lightening.

Ben, I get the point re lawsuits. I'm sure all those games called off last night were precisley because of the schools being shit-scared of being sued for any injuries. Which is pathetic. Hence my assertion of this country becoming more and more a 'nanny nation'.

And ladyofthelake,

I do not know the figures for rugby fatalities, although I do know that they occur/have occured. I'm way to busy with life on a Saturday to spend all afternoon googling info on sports injuries/fatalities, like you clearly did with your anecdotes in your above post. As you clearly have so much spare time on your hands, why don't you do the same for rugby - it would save me a job, and would fill up some of your (clear) abundance of spare time this Saturday.

Problem is, the results would weaken your pro American Football argument, wouldn't they?

Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:55 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owdhamer
Ben, I get the point re lawsuits. I'm sure all those games called off last night were precisley because of the schools being shit-scared of being sued for any injuries. Which is pathetic. Hence my assertion of this country becoming more and more a 'nanny nation'.

And ladyofthelake,

I do not know the figures for rugby fatalities, although I do know that they occur/have occured. I'm way to busy with life on a Saturday to spend all afternoon googling info on sports injuries/fatalities, like you clearly did with your anecdotes in your above post. As you clearly have so much spare time on your hands, why don't you do the same for rugby - it would save me a job, and would fill up some of your (clear) abundance of spare time this Saturday.

Problem is, the results would weaken your pro American Football argument, wouldn't they?
Owdhamer, you started a thread with something you clearly wanted to debate, or at least hear other people's thoughts on...

...so why be such a wanker when someone disagrees with you?

Ladyofthelake did nothing to diserve your obnoxious response, other than post some information that you don't like. Lashing out at her like that is pathetic.

In fact, why start a thread at all, if all you want to hear is your own viewpoint.

Last edited by dbj1000; Oct 8th 2006 at 12:58 am.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:15 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Just like boxing gloves, the pads are to protect the hitter, not the hittee. The result is that you get hit much harder in American football and get injuries that are more serious. I suspect though, that the decision is actually made to protect the pitch.
I totally agree paddington. In the case of a head contact sport, the padding can sometimes make it worse for the hitee.

The brain sits in a sack of fluid, and in boxing, the boxing gloves take the sting out of the punch but the brain still gets rattled around inside the sack of fluid, that's why after 20 years of boxing people can appear to be punch drunk, (have you heard Nigel Benn talking lately) in bare knuckle fighting, the fight is stopped much sooner due to KO's, broken hands etc.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:18 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
It's interesting that if you measure sport in fatalities...golf is the most dangerous sport
WTF......... Is that true?????
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:23 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
WTF......... Is that true?????
Have you seen the fat and aged golf players here?

Hitting a birdie doubles the risk of heart attack or stroke.

Hole-in-one is a guaranteed coronary!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
I always thought it was fishing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.