Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

american express

american express

Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: american express

Originally Posted by TM_001
On the AMEX discusssion, I took the advice here and called global transfers. For me they were specific in that I had to be in the country before doing it, but she did say it'll only take 5-7 days to get my card! All seems too good to be true - but I'll take it!

I forgot to add in my previous posts - we pay off our cards in full each month (and only use Visa in the very rare occasions when a retailer doesn't take Amex). I rarely use cash if I can use an Amex card instead, because I love to get the airmiles/reward points and also the consumer protection!

We have the Amex chargecards, not the credit cards - so I don't know if Amex issues credit cards to new arrivals....it would be interesting to find out.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:06 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: american express

I found Amex very helpful - number I was given was 1-800-453-2639. Very helpful indeed.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Mungo5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they're very easy to deal with.

Call Global Transfers in the US direct on 1-800-453-2639.

I had been a customer in the UK since 2001, so they took that into account and infact transferred the same 'credit history' value to my US account too.

All in all, an easy process, even without a Social Security Number.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:22 am
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
i have been recomended to do this. However - when i asked the uk office about this they gave me a US telephone number. When i rang the US number the woman told me to do it online. She gave me an URL but I either wrote it down wrong or she was wrong as it didnt work - and i can find zero mention of global transfer in either the us or uk amex sites. so mines still set up as uk.

so if you find out how - let me know lol!
there is an American Express website: americanexpress.com but usually I find their people extremely helpful. Assuming you have a UK Amex Card, call their 800 number which you can get from 800 information and tell them you want to get a US card
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by William Semmes
there is an American Express website: americanexpress.com but usually I find their people extremely helpful. Assuming you have a UK Amex Card, call their 800 number which you can get from 800 information and tell them you want to get a US card

has any one been able to get a global transfer of american express card this year? is blue cash card a good card?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nadnad
has any one been able to get a global transfer of american express card this year? is blue cash card a good card?
Sorry, don't think think they will do a transfer - their acceptance of your application will in part be based on your record with Amex UK. They are legally separate entities operating under different financial regulatory environments. The green card has been their primary card but if a merchant accepts Amex, he accepts all of them irrespective of level, colour, etc. I believe the card levels are: blue, green, gold, platinum, black. There may be some features particular to the blue card and you can probably learn about them from Amex or a brochure.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I got one. I had an Amex Platinum in the UK and when I moved to the US in January I called their Global Transfer number and I got a US Amex 'Blue Cash' card. It was all very simple and very painless.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by English Muffin
Yes, I got one. I had an Amex Platinum in the UK and when I moved to the US in January I called their Global Transfer number and I got a US Amex 'Blue Cash' card. It was all very simple and very painless.

did u have a platinum cash back card in uk? do u have any idea if getting the card gave a boost to your credit history ?
how is your toyota corolla driving- did u buy it brand new? and how much was the car insurance u paid for it?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

did u have a platinum cash back card in uk? do u have any idea if getting the card gave a boost to your credit history ?
how is your toyota corolla driving- did u buy it brand new? and how much was the car insurance u paid for it?
Yes, it was a Platinum cash back card that I had in the UK. Getting the new card in the US did give me a credit score but I don't know what it is. The Corolla is doing just fine and I bought it brand new. I'm not sure about the insurance because my husband insured it (he's a USC) and added me as a driver to make it cheaper. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by English Muffin
Yes, it was a Platinum cash back card that I had in the UK. Getting the new card in the US did give me a credit score but I don't know what it is. The Corolla is doing just fine and I bought it brand new. I'm not sure about the insurance because my husband insured it (he's a USC) and added me as a driver to make it cheaper. Hope this helps.

we have a few things in common- including my wife is a usc- do prolly i will do the same that u did - get myself added to her policy. any other useful advice? i will be coming in october time. its scary and a lill exciting. can i email you in case i get questions- if tht is ok with u.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

we have a few things in common- including my wife is a usc- do prolly i will do the same that u did - get myself added to her policy. any other useful advice? i will be coming in october time. its scary and a lill exciting. can i email you in case i get questions- if tht is ok with u.
I can't think of any more advice, other than getting the Amex card. If you want to know anything else feel free to PM me and I'll help you if I can. Good luck with everything.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

thanx
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:00 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like I've just taken up the right card then.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phychlone
Seems like I've just taken up the right card then.
hi- wht card have u taken?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:15 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

hi- wht card have u taken?
I've just taken the Duo with Lloyds. It may not be ideal over here but in the future it should assist in the transfer of funds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.