Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:47 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Originally Posted by Moving?
....was just googling about this coz two friends of mine say "haitch" and just realised they went to Catholic schools and it's kept with them ever since (if the Catholic theory is correct)... and was reading that haitch is quite prevalent in Ireland (according to google pages!)
I'd love to hear some kind of explanation as to why the differing pronounciations - just seems so bizarre
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'd love to hear some kind of explanation as to why the differing pronounciations - just seems so bizarre

Try these--worth a quick peek anyway.

http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/ozwords/June_98/2._aitch.htm

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-letter-h.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aitch
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moving?
...remember years ago we used to say "5 and 20 past/to" the hour (for x:25 and x:35)? You had to be really good at maths in those days

Two things which I don't like (one US, one Brit) :

1) "Gotten" - one of those left over words from history. I think a simple "got" can replace it most times.

2) Sorry to those who say it but it's "haitch" for the letter H. I've never heard an American say it... They say it right - it's "aitch" - look it up in the dictionary

Another question... "erbs", "uge", (sometimes) "umane" etc... Is that from cockney East end, or French influence?

About herbs/erbs I'll paste in what I wrote in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=herbs

Until the sixteenth century the word was usually spelled erb—the English got it from the French, who didn’t say the first letter either. Down to the nineteenth century, long after the h had been added under later French influence, that was also the way it was said. The seventeenth- and eighteenth-century American colonists took this state of affairs with them. During the nineteenth century, Britons began to say the first letter, as a result of what linguists call a spelling pronunciation.

So Americans kept the old pronunciation while British speakers changed it. A sneaky trick, but there it is.

It's the same with the 'ou' spelling such as color/colour: we revised the spelling after people left for the 'new world'. (which in turn is why some Yanks switch cutlery back-and-forth, knife in the righthand and then pick up the fork with the right. There was a shortage of costly silver knives when the newbies arrived and they had to cut and pass on the knife).

Interesting stuff.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angelman
Out of interest does anyone know why america persists in having their crazy date format, different to every country in the world I think.
Its so hard trying to read dates here. When I try to read my bank statements its really hard to make head nor tail of them. Not because they are different to the UK and the world but because the day which is generally of more interest than the month and the item that changes more frequently is buried in the middle of the date.
How did this happen, why?
and many other mysteries...
It's a mystery, and one of the hardest adjustments I had to make when we moved here. It's one that I easily forget, but try to do, as I do a lot of work for clients in which I have to include timelines. I googled it and didn't find much, other than an internet campaign for consistency, and a reference to some commission making this decision and then regretting it.

Just one of those things I guess...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:20 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
A pet hate of mine...it is very prevalent in the Midlands, where people always "correct" you with a disgusting gutteral sound.
I think you mean 'guttural'............ oh the irony of being constantly corrected by Brummies
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
It's the same with the 'ou' spelling such as color/colour: we revised the spelling after people left for the 'new world'.
...probably the wrong thread to continue this but I've heard that we changed the spelling, but then heard somewhere too that Twain and Webster had a lot to do with changes in spelling, including removing the u, l instead of ll, z instead of s etc.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

This is full of answers/reasons why http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format

By the way, here in Germany, aska local the time and they may well say "Halb neun" literally meaning "Half nine" though it will be 8:30 "Half before nine"

So glad we won the war...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i am always surprised that the customs form required on entry to the usa asks for date first followed by the month but then it all changes again to the usual mth/day/yr ..dunno but it sure is confusing
Because the rest of the world writes it that way, and at least they have the sense to recognise that most people would screw it up if they required it in the US format. Personally I can't really see the difference, when you say a date, either 5th Dec or Dec 5th will work. When I write a date, I usually write it in full, such as "6th June 2006" so there is no confusion.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:59 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I think you mean 'guttural'............ oh the irony of being constantly corrected by Brummies
I shall be trying to find a nice guttural, disgusting font face to let my "true Brummie" out on the forum. Or I'll just get a benny hat avatar

I've never had my accent referred to as guttural before to be honest, comical, yes and "thick brummie" yes, but never guttural
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Because the rest of the world writes it that way, and at least they have the sense to recognise that most people would screw it up if they required it in the US format.

you misread my post, yes i realise the rest of the world quote it day mth year, the thread is about why the usa don't.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:38 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
I shall be trying to find a nice guttural, disgusting font face to let my "true Brummie" out on the forum. Or I'll just get a benny hat avatar

I've never had my accent referred to as guttural before to be honest, comical, yes and "thick brummie" yes, but never guttural
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHH not another person with disgusting Midland guttural tones :scared:
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:57 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHH not another person with disgusting Midland guttural tones :scared:
I used to work with people from the Black Country, could barely understand them.

I just wish the US would change everything to dd/mm/yy but seeing how they're going ahead and screwing everyone else up by changing the dates when the clocks change, too, it's very much a sign (as if we didn't know before) that they don't give a flying **** what the rest of the world thinks. Sad, really.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Maz
I used to work with people from the Black Country, could barely understand them.
Neither can I and I'm from less than 20 miles away.......... but were their accents disgusting?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranners99
This is full of answers/reasons why http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format

By the way, here in Germany, aska local the time and they may well say "Halb neun" literally meaning "Half nine" though it will be 8:30 "Half before nine"

So glad we won the war...
Yes, and when I say 'half ten' over here I'm always asked to clarify it I enjoy being asked if I have the time, then leaving the questioner more puzzled than before...

Related thing.. has anyone heard the use of 'fourth' instead of 'quarter' in the sense: "my fuel tank is three-fourths full, I won't need to fill up'? I've never before heard the fractions 1/4 and 3/4 expressed as fourths, always as quarters, but I hear 'fourths' all the time here.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

yes i am trying to wean my wife off this.. its very annoying.. you say half in stead of one two'f or something like that so why not one quarter and 3 quarters.. is that too compplicated a concept for you to grasp (not really since she is a maths scholar).. now of course she just does it to piss me off gives her hours of satisfaction

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Yes, and when I say 'half ten' over here I'm always asked to clarify it I enjoy being asked if I have the time, then leaving the questioner more puzzled than before...

Related thing.. has anyone heard the use of 'fourth' instead of 'quarter' in the sense: "my fuel tank is three-fourths full, I won't need to fill up'? I've never before heard the fractions 1/4 and 3/4 expressed as fourths, always as quarters, but I hear 'fourths' all the time here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.