Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Out of interest does anyone know why america persists in having their crazy date format, different to every country in the world I think.
Its so hard trying to read dates here. When I try to read my bank statements its really hard to make head nor tail of them. Not because they are different to the UK and the world but because the day which is generally of more interest than the month and the item that changes more frequently is buried in the middle of the date.
How did this happen, why?
and many other mysteries...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Originally Posted by angelman
Out of interest does anyone know why america persists in having their crazy date format, different to every country in the world I think.
Its so hard trying to read dates here. When I try to read my bank statements its really hard to make head nor tail of them. Not because they are different to the UK and the world but because the day which is generally of more interest than the month and the item that changes more frequently is buried in the middle of the date.
Don't know the answer to this mystery... The "international" date format is yyyy-mm-dd, so the month is still in the middle like outside US. And why are the immigration / customs forms at the US airports in dd-mm-yyyy? It's not just for the foreigners because USCs have to complete the customs form with that date format too. And why is it 4th July (day/month) and not July 4th?! When I format dates now I put the full or shortened month name instead of numbers so to avoid any confusion...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

Originally Posted by angelman

i am always surprised that the customs form required on entry to the usa asks for date first followed by the month but then it all changes again to the usual mth/day/yr ..dunno but it sure is confusing
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i am always surprised that the customs form required on entry to the usa asks for date first followed by the month but then it all changes again to the usual mth/day/yr ..dunno but it sure is confusing

At 25 I think I'm too old to change to the US version...so I stick with dd/mm/year
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, confused the POE officer when I arrived here as a H1B (on 1st May).. he switched day and month around, or the person who entered it into a computer did, so when I went for my SSN (Social Security can access the immigration database presumably) they wondered how I'd been working since 4th January.

I always use the full name of the month in spoken and written communication. It avoids confusion.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:11 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: american date format - why do they have to be different to everyone in the world

I also wish they would use the Continental clock on their timetables too.

Last Friday when I was at Penn Station in NYC drinking coffee an Irish couple approached me and asked me if I could help them with their printed Amtrak timetable as they were planning to go to Boston during the weekend.

The format wasn't so straightforward....I had to constantly check that I was reading off the AM trains rather than the PM ones. It would have been so much easier if it had say, 1600 hrs instead of 4.00.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:13 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I also wish they would use the Continental clock on their timetables too.

Last Friday when I was at Penn Station in NYC drinking coffee an Irish couple approached me and asked me if I could help them with their printed Amtrak timetable as they were planning to go to Boston during the weekend.

The format wasn't so straightforward....I had to constantly check that I was reading off the AM trains rather than the PM ones. It would have been so much easier if it had say, 1600 hrs instead of 4.00.
yep that too, i always use the 24hr clock...makes life easier except over here
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yep that too, i always use the 24hr clock...makes life easier except over here

Army time as it's known here.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:23 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Army time as it's known here.
Military time actually
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:24 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

At 25 I think I'm too old to change to the US version...so I stick with dd/mm/year
Its not just the yanks who are getting their numbers back-to-front it seems
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Its not just the yanks who are getting their numbers back-to-front it seems

I'm deeply hurt by that remark...nothing that a lemon choccy bar wouldn't fix.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you heard the m give out the time on TV. It is now 52 minutes after the hour. Well yes, but I think 8 minutes to is much better imo.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:47 am
Thinking about it

I'm deeply hurt by that remark...nothing that a lemon choccy bar wouldn't fix.
She gone

(Though I plan to reload in the near future)
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
She gone

(Though I plan to reload in the near future)

That's what I'm counting on.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

a weird thing I encountered here at work was being asked to meet someone at 10 of 4. I asked what that meant, they looked at me as if I was crazy. Logically to me it seemed that 10 of 4 would probably mean 4:10 actually it means 3:50.

That's what I'm counting on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.